Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums

Thread: Replacement for a Specialized 29er - Alex HR Disc 29"

Default Replacement for a Specialized 29er - Alex HR Disc 29"

Current rear rim - Alex HR Disc 29", alloy double-wall, disc, pin joint, 24mm, 36h

Recently during a XC competition I hurt the old girl and the bike shop has had the rear rim now for 5 weeks for a trueing, replace 2 spokes and to replace the freewheel hub.
    The bike shop said the hold up is the freewheel hub from Specialized and its only a 2013 model.

I can't wait any longer and need a new rim to once again get out in the dirt and there's another XC comp approaching.

A couple of years back after the 4th buckle I had a bike shop replaced the front rim with a $150 Alexrim decent quality rim and no more buckles.

What I need is a rear rim and if possible one with a freewheel hub, can anyone suggest a say $200 range 29er rim to get me going again.
    Hub specs - Sealed loose ball bearings, disc mounted, 19mm, QR. 36h (9 speed 11/36)

I'm a bit confused... You want a new rear rim with a hub ie. a whole new wheel?

Assuming so, it needs to be 19mm ID, QR (135x10?), 9 speed hub, although you say you're running 2x10 in your necro post in the other thread. Is it a centrelock or 6-bolt rotor mount?

Suggest checking CRC or Wiggle as they have some wheelsets and wheels on sale within your budget. Alternatively, if your hub is otherwise ok, just get a new rim.
    I wish my body was as old as my brain thinks it is.

Default Re:

2 x 10 typo even went and counted them and yes 2 x 9 @ 11/36.
    Hub is stuffed and CRC what is this suggestion and never heard of Wiggle (Googled).

Thanks Mate.

CRC = Chain Reaction Cycles. UK based online retailer, has a good range of wheels such as:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a.../rp-prod120086

I have no experience with these wheels so proceed at your own risk - they are centrelock too so you might need new brake rotors or adapters. Doubt they will be any good for a heavier rider with the low spoke count either.

Edit: A word of warning too - Specialized have some odd rear axle/frame setups from memory. It might be worth double checking that a 'standard' replacement QR wheel is compatible with your bike. Others here might be able to confirm?
    Last edited by Nambra; 13-08-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    I wish my body was as old as my brain thinks it is.