Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Kona Stinky

Default 2004 Kona Stinky

I bought Plankosaurus' 2004 Kona stinky for a bargain price. She's to become bike number 4 in the fleet. Bikes 4,5 and 6 are all on the go.

She needs a full rebuild, has spent some time in the rain. So far I've fully stripped her down.

Stuck trying to get the main pivot bearings out, I'm assuming the bearing seats are semi blind so I've tried pulling with no luck, going to have to cut them out it would appear.

Plans are a little sketchy still. Paint has to go. Thinking raw

Unsure what to do about the forks, but my stash of 32mm zocci is pretty good, I'm thinking a fox FIT cartridge might be the go with some 20mm DJ3 lowers, rear coil shock is a vanilla r with propedal and seems to be quite good as far as platform goes, might try it once she's back together before hunting for an air shock

Wheels will be mavic 823 on pro2

Brakes will be Guides.

ATF/Acetone left to soak into the bearings in an attempt at removing them, sadly no joy.

Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

I really like the old paintwork, I'd try and keep it, maybe do some careful touch ups of the black to freshen it up.
    My old stinky had Fox40's, dropped to 175mm travel. I really liked it as a Mini-DH bike, but a single crown makes more sense.
    It also had the Vanilla R, and it worked pretty damn well really

It's funny you say that, because he happens to have a set of 36 vanillas as well :-P

Awesome that the old beast is getting some love, it's a lot more effort than i thought the bargain basement boat anchor would receive! I'm not sure it's a pretty enough bike to work raw personally, but then I saw it as nothing more than a stepping stone for someone wanting to take a crack at riding downwards so maybe my opinion is invalid.

Sent from my Xperia Z3C using Tapatalk
    Nothing goes over my head, my reflexes are too fast

Cool, i also have an old Stinky at home with a Vanilla and Marzocchi Junior T up front, no real plans for it yet but ya never know.

Clinically Inane

Get your huck pants on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    Get your huck pants on!!!
    Huck me dead, go the gnar........ Beeeetcheeennnnn......

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Clinically Inane

He'll be drowning in it!!!

Try freeze and release spray on the stuck bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    Try freeze and release spray on the stuck bearings.
    Used a whole can trying, bearings are a little too deep and the housing a little too corroded. And by the time I freeze a bearing and get the blind puller in and seated, there has been enough heat transfer to deny success. I do love a can of freeze and release.

A gentle cut through the bearing outer races seems to be the only option. Don't think I can get a Dremel in there but going to give it a red hot go.
    Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

Clinically Inane

Quote Originally Posted by link1896 View Post
    I do love a can of freeze and release.
    Each to their own, but...you know that stuff is dangerous to spray on your skin right? Your willy could frost bite quite easily and fall off! Maybe find a different aerosol lover.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast