Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to know when jump is set?

Default How to know when jump is set?

Hey guys

Built a new jump in my back yard, how long do you think it when take the lip set enough so I can be ridden.
    It's mostly clay soil, and is still pretty wet.
    Should I be able to see tyre marks in the takeoff or is that an indication of it being to soft?

Thanks

Get your little brother to hit it first. If he crashes and burns, wait longer.
    Respect the Mountain. Ride the Bull. Feel the Flow.

Successful trades: Nick Z, Rhyno, Naz, RCOH, Parallax, Carlin, Stylinruss, Cave Dweller, Inverted, Teamshore03, Stooge, I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11, Benana, -Davo, Grover, Drop in Drew, cleeshoy, Bevsta, Daver, hifiandmtb, yogibear, scblack, NoSkidMarks/Crankin, oliosky, dolphinman, binner, iUDEX_nCr, Psimpson7, nickg78, DillonRib, Squims.

Clinically Inane

This depends on a lot of things, but...do you live in a dry hot area? If so it should dry pretty quickly. Did you do the jump properly and make it entirely from the earth or were you lazy like me and stuffed it full of sticks and rocks? 100% dirt will hold moisture longer.

Ideally you should wait until it is set like a rock. This way it will hold the shape better for longer. This will take days or longer. While it sets it doesn't hurt to give it a good whacking each day with the shovel or other flat tool to maintain the shape. It shouldn't hurt to ride it before it is totally rock hard, provided you don't mind doing ongoing maintenance to keep it in shape. It's handy being at home with it as you can resurface it and water it without having "the man" come down on you. Unless your dad doesn't know about the jump...and doesn't like it when he finds it.

Once set you'll probably have a surface that looks like a crumpet as the clay has shrunk without moisture. Throw a good layer of soil over it, light sprinkle with the hose, whack it into place with the shovel, and leave it for the afternoon and night. I suspect this will get some use over the holidays!

Got a photo of the jump?

If you keep slapping the lip enough during the build, you can often get to the end of the process and it'll be good to go. It's all about pushing out the moisture and air pockets before they end up deep in the structure.

I always want to make sure I can stomp my foot hard into the lip surface without making any real deformation (tread pattern is OK; just not a change in lip shape). Then she's ready. If you can get it to that point before you put down the shovel, you're doing it right.
    Just because I'm a criminal doesn't mean I'm a freerider

Clinically Inane

This thread needs an update from the op...given the length of transpired time I'm expecting some good crash pics and an X-ray of a collar bone!

Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    This thread needs an update from the op...
    Still not set....
    Last edited by Knuckles; 11-10-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitler View Post
    chops makes me as angry as looking at my Crank Bros dropper post does
    Quote Originally Posted by no one ever View Post
    Australia Post is awesome!

That is mighty f'd up

For real?! Poor bloke

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplehead View Post
    For real?! Poor bloke

No

I'd trust a federal politician getting special interest payments over knuckles.

that is a stock image, used here http://cosmeticuva.com/procedure-por...facial-trauma/
    Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

He looks better in the 'before' photo!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast