Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon Wheels what does it feel like riding one ?

Default Carbon Wheels what does it feel like riding one ?

I've never ridden a bike with carbon wheels, before I go spending the big dollars.
    What can I expect from riding carbon wheels for those that currently ride one ?

Quote Originally Posted by bmar560 View Post
    I've never ridden a bike with carbon wheels, before I go spending the big dollars.
    What can I expect from riding carbon wheels for those that currently ride one ?
    Why do you want them then? Do you need a new wheelset and are considering carbon, or are you bling purchasing?

Feels lighter.. but you can get that feeling with lighter tyres.

mmmmm.. Stiffer? But you can get that by tightening your spokes.

Looks good?

Yeah, the main difference is that they look good!! What are you buying? Light Bicycle?

Amazing or meh, depending on wheels you are coming from and riding you do with them. Coming from heavy alloys it was torsionally stiffer for me which was immediately noticeable. Lighter and faster too, which I still notice by the end of the ride as it's all pedalling for me and not much gravity. Choose widths wisely as it's an investment, enjoy.
    Be careful with that, it was new once.

Tears when they break, your a couple of grand down and have to walk out the bush.

I've ridden some, they are stiff (these were dh ones of some description, not particularly light). They were nice, but not worth the $ upgrade from my hope hoops that I've been pretty happy with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    I rode Newtown, before it was cool.

more bling purchasing than anything
    Current wheelset is Sram Rail 40.

I was looking at either Zelvy or Nextie, but leaning towards Nextie as I can get better hubs. Chose those 2 options as they have local presence if things go wrong.

The Santa Cruz Reserve looks nice and the macaskill video thrashing one looks impressive, but I don't like the price :-)

Got mine from ascent. Got the offset nextie rims.

These wheels are stiff as - not much throws them off and the hold a line magically.

I have been riding them for 2 years with out issue and I'm over 100kg

Ohh and they look nice...

Quote Originally Posted by bmar560 View Post
    more bling purchasing than anything
    Current wheelset is Sram Rail 40.

I was looking at either Zelvy or Nextie, but leaning towards Nextie as I can get better hubs. Chose those 2 options as they have local presence if things go wrong.

The Santa Cruz Reserve looks nice and the macaskill video thrashing one looks impressive, but I don't like the price :-)
    No point in spending a lot of money if there isn't a bling factor in there too!!

Default Bargain

What Duckmeister says in the below post.....Just do it, you won't regret it......not a lot of $s if you look around, support an Aussie

https://www.zelvycarbon.com/collections/2017-runout
    Last edited by Gripo; 10-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Dispite the name change the song will remain the same.

Better tracking, because there's a lot less deflection in the rims when cornering hard (whoever said above that you can get the same from aluminium by cranking up the spoke tension has it wrong; regardless of tension the carbon rim will always be a lot stiffer than a similar-profiled aluminium rim, plus high tension in aluminium will eventually pull spokes out). The reduced deflection can make the wheels a bit more skittish over chattery surfaces, but that can be corrected with a slight lowering of tyre pressure.

Despite the extra stiffness, the nature of carbon is much better at absorbing high-frequency vibrations, so although you still feel the bumps, the impact of them is softened.

Better responsiveness, because carbon rims are lighter than an equivalent-profile aluminium model.

A hit big enough to break a carbon rim will irreparably deform an aluminium rim too. Carbon is springy right up to the point at which it breaks, so will literally bounce back from many hits that will dent aluminium to some degree.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast