Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Timing systems for club races

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central Coast
    Posts
    645

    Default Timing systems for club races

    Hi gang,

    Have been chatting with some clubbies and the question of timing systems has come up. At the moment races are done with ad-hock timing, some old school paper and pens, some home-made rfid stuff that is not particularly accurate or reliable with many participants not getting run times etc. Are there any good solutions out there that are affordable for a small club that can handle XC, DH and enduro (multiple stages) ?

    Think I saw some discussion last year that someone was developing something but seemed to fizzle out..

    cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    423

    Default

    multiple stage -do you mean fairly close together --in other words you need multiple timing mats that could get pretty expensive, xc is usually easy as you just need the one timing location, Dh, you need 2, enduro is more difficult as you might need multiple which will get into some big $
    Cotic BFe[gone to oldest], old Yeti as-r[retired], focus CX,Lapierre xr529

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central Coast
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Hale View Post
    multiple stage -do you mean fairly close together --in other words you need multiple timing mats that could get pretty expensive, xc is usually easy as you just need the one timing location, Dh, you need 2, enduro is more difficult as you might need multiple which will get into some big $
    yeah would be great if can have 3 independant timed sections with timed transition inbetween for enduro races (or possibly a shared start with 3 different finishes). That way you can start the days racing and its all setup without the need to move things around plus set penalties if time cut-offs are not met on transition etc.

    At this stage, just doing a reality check, would be awesome if the club can invest in a system that will last for years and enables the different disciplines to run their races with minimal fuss and reliability in results.

  4. #4
    Heavy machinery. Dozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Coffs Harbour mate.
    Posts
    10,221

    Default

    You need to come to our next Coffs Downhill race and see the system our partners White Lightning Events use. It is the ducks guts and does everything you ask and more.


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    423

    Default

    3 diff timing mats is prob going to run to $10K i would think, there are a number of systems on the mrket, you might get 3 a bit cheaper?, but you could also pay more. does the softeare your using already hook up to timing or do you need a software change also?
    Cotic BFe[gone to oldest], old Yeti as-r[retired], focus CX,Lapierre xr529

  6. #6
    Senior Member The Duckmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Carrum Downs, Vic.
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    The system we use at Red Hill is made by (I think) Sport Ident or something like that. We have four stages and 50 chips, which cost around $8k, and we hire additional stages & chips as needed. It's the same system used by several endooro & DH events. If you want a more in-depth run-down of the guts of it, throw an email to vicepresident@redhillriders.com.au & Rhys should be able to fill you in.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

    I build wheels... :wink:

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central Coast
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
    You need to come to our next Coffs Downhill race and see the system our partners White Lightning Events use. It is the ducks guts and does everything you ask and more.
    Thanks for the offer, I'd be keen to check it out! Will PM you

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Hale View Post
    3 diff timing mats is prob going to run to $10K i would think, there are a number of systems on the mrket, you might get 3 a bit cheaper?, but you could also pay more. does the softeare your using already hook up to timing or do you need a software change also?
    software?? no nothing so whole system.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Duckmeister View Post
    The system we use at Red Hill is made by (I think) Sport Ident or something like that. We have four stages and 50 chips, which cost around $8k, and we hire additional stages & chips as needed. It's the same system used by several endooro & DH events. If you want a more in-depth run-down of the guts of it, throw an email to vicepresident@redhillriders.com.au & Rhys should be able to fill you in.
    Awesome thanks, will shoot them an email. 8k sounds sounds alot but in the terms of a club I think its a good investment.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Stredda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latrobe, Tas
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spikenet View Post
    Hi gang,

    Have been chatting with some clubbies and the question of timing systems has come up. At the moment races are done with ad-hock timing, some old school paper and pens, some home-made rfid stuff that is not particularly accurate or reliable with many participants not getting run times etc. Are there any good solutions out there that are affordable for a small club that can handle XC, DH and enduro (multiple stages) ?

    Think I saw some discussion last year that someone was developing something but seemed to fizzle out..

    cheers
    Our club used a Jaguar timing system for XC races, cost us about 12k after the dollar went through the floor. It runs adhesive chips that you stick on the back of the race plates and a square dish style antenna setup of up to 4 antennas to read the chips. The down side is that it's a US based system and support is difficult and the user interface is very complex as it does so many different types of races and Mountain Bike laps races is just a small sample so it took us ages to get it sorted and even now only one guy is really on top of it.

    A mate of mine used the Sportident system for his gravity endure series and has just upgraded to the contactless system. It works really well for GE and probably DH but don't think it would do large group XC. This system works differently as the chip unit you strap on your wrist keeps all the info and the Start/Finish antenna sensors just tell the chip it has passed them.
    We are thinking of offloading the Jaguar system to something a bit more user friendly so more club members can operate it. It is a good system and can do so much more than what we use it for, you just need to be computer savvy and have the time to nut it out.

    The southern Tassie club Dirt Devils use an tablet app based system for DH racing and GE but it is not as accurate as it requires someone to tap the go button to send them off and another person to tap finish at the end.

    I haven't seen a system that does both stage races and mass start laps races, I'd be interested to hear if there is.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central Coast
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stredda View Post
    Our club used a Jaguar timing system for XC races, cost us about 12k after the dollar went through the floor. It runs adhesive chips that you stick on the back of the race plates and a square dish style antenna setup of up to 4 antennas to read the chips. The down side is that it's a US based system and support is difficult and the user interface is very complex as it does so many different types of races and Mountain Bike laps races is just a small sample so it took us ages to get it sorted and even now only one guy is really on top of it.

    A mate of mine used the Sportident system for his gravity endure series and has just upgraded to the contactless system. It works really well for GE and probably DH but don't think it would do large group XC. This system works differently as the chip unit you strap on your wrist keeps all the info and the Start/Finish antenna sensors just tell the chip it has passed them.
    We are thinking of offloading the Jaguar system to something a bit more user friendly so more club members can operate it. It is a good system and can do so much more than what we use it for, you just need to be computer savvy and have the time to nut it out.

    The southern Tassie club Dirt Devils use an tablet app based system for DH racing and GE but it is not as accurate as it requires someone to tap the go button to send them off and another person to tap finish at the end.

    I haven't seen a system that does both stage races and mass start laps races, I'd be interested to hear if there is.
    Very interesting info. I'm surprised that the systems appear to not be a one size fits all with the various disciplines. I guess the issue with mass start is that reading of large number of chips all at once, but once the race is on the field should spread out and that shouldnt be an issue.

    The club currently has a homemade RFID swipe on/off system for enduro but like you mention about the tablet app it requires people to sacrifice racing plus its not accurate/reliable at all.. add to that laptops to run it, batteries etc.
    In a perfect world a system you setup that is stand-alone without the need of supervision would be great!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Back in BrisVegas
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stredda View Post
    Our club used a Jaguar timing system for XC races, cost us about 12k after the dollar went through the floor. It runs adhesive chips that you stick on the back of the race plates and a square dish style antenna setup of up to 4 antennas to read the chips. The down side is that it's a US based system and support is difficult and the user interface is very complex as it does so many different types of races and Mountain Bike laps races is just a small sample so it took us ages to get it sorted and even now only one guy is really on top of it.

    A mate of mine used the Sportident system for his gravity endure series and has just upgraded to the contactless system. It works really well for GE and probably DH but don't think it would do large group XC. This system works differently as the chip unit you strap on your wrist keeps all the info and the Start/Finish antenna sensors just tell the chip it has passed them.
    We are thinking of offloading the Jaguar system to something a bit more user friendly so more club members can operate it. It is a good system and can do so much more than what we use it for, you just need to be computer savvy and have the time to nut it out.

    The southern Tassie club Dirt Devils use an tablet app based system for DH racing and GE but it is not as accurate as it requires someone to tap the go button to send them off and another person to tap finish at the end.

    I haven't seen a system that does both stage races and mass start laps races, I'd be interested to hear if there is.
    The Sportident contactless system should be able to do lap races if you use two of the larger units and set them to slave as a gate. Just program a time of day for the actual start and by the time riders come around for the end of lap one they should be spread out enough to read OK. For DH and Enduro the Sportident system is very good and relatively user friendly. there are quite a few systems floating around these days, and the importer is on the central coast so it shouldn't be too hard to sort out a demo or hire before you jump in.
    IF THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS, THEN WHAT KIND OF QUESTIONS DO STUPID PEOPLE ASK?........DO THEY GET SMART JUST IN TIME TO ASK QUESTIONS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •