Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my 2 year old compressor ready for the tip?

Default Is my 2 year old compressor ready for the tip?

I purchased a Spear and Jackson compressor from Bunnings a couple of years ago and have used it maybe 3 times per year to install tubeless tyres. I've been topping up the oil as per the instructions, but when I went to use it recently, the motors sounding like it was grinding and after a couple of minutes there was a loud bang and the oil plug ripped itself out of the housing and shot skywards, never to be seen again. At this point I promptly turned it off and ran inside to change my underwear.

I contacted the Spear and Jackson 'hotline' and they told me that they no longer stock parts for that model. I know nothing about compressors, but it would seem that the oil plug is under pressure, so unless I can get the thread rebored and a new, larger plug installed, is the compressor useless? If there's no easy fix for it, people are welcome to grab it for parts (if you're in Melbourne).

IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2451.JPG

It was a total drag when it failed to have to take my tyre to the servo to pump it up tubeless. I think my next purchase will be one of those high pressure floor pumps with the reservoir - such a great invention.
    safreek: if I want an arse pounding I will go to the correct toilet block

Oil plug does not have to be threaded as long as you put something in there with a vent hole in it. (Cork with a hole drilled in it)

I assume you have the oil level to the center of the clear window, too much oil will cause a problem.

Give it a try with no oil cap, maybe a rag over the hole. If you are then getting heaps of air coming out of it it could be terminal.

Some air leaking out through the hole is normal.

If you heard grinding noises before it went bang good chance that it's a throw away. You can buy parts for some models on ebay but for the price of a new one most likely not going to be worth playing with.
    "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ~Aristotle.

just pull the head off it and check the reed valves are not buggered. Maybe one of them is stuffed and pressure is blowing past the piston rings... you will see pretty quick if its a lost cause!

I have similar cheap compressor and it is obnoxiously loud, gets super hot, still going tho and giving good pressue :)

Default Why where you needing to top up oil?

Why were you topping up the oil? Where was it going? Are we talking copious amounts or just a few drops?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    I purchased a Spear and Jackson compressor from Bunnings a couple of years ago and have used it maybe 3 times per year to install tubeless tyres. I've been topping up the oil as per the instructions, but when I went to use it recently, the motors sounding like it was grinding and after a couple of minutes there was a loud bang and the oil plug ripped itself out of the housing and shot skywards, never to be seen again. At this point I promptly turned it off and ran inside to change my underwear.

I contacted the Spear and Jackson 'hotline' and they told me that they no longer stock parts for that model. I know nothing about compressors, but it would seem that the oil plug is under pressure, so unless I can get the thread rebored and a new, larger plug installed, is the compressor useless? If there's no easy fix for it, people are welcome to grab it for parts (if you're in Melbourne).

It was a total drag when it failed to have to take my tyre to the servo to pump it up tubeless. I think my next purchase will be one of those high pressure floor pumps with the reservoir - such a great invention.
    “Corollas are great cars, but you can’t pick up chicks in one”

Quote Originally Posted by hathill View Post
    Why were you topping up the oil? Where was it going? Are we talking copious amounts or just a few drops?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    I've been topping up the oil as per the instructions...
    You're right, it's a complete mystery.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they're fun to push down the stairs.

Do they have oil?

It shouldn't have been using much oil...?

Whatever the case, there's no harm taking the head off & having a look at the reeds & gaskets. Check the top of the piston(s) too.
    If there's any carnage just chuck it & buy a small belt drive unit. The cheap direct drive comps are not real good.

Sometimes the head gasket will fail & air will move across between suction & discharge -which is cheap/easy to fix, but anything more than that isn't worth your time & hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the warranty on that thing? Worth a shot returning it to Bunnings..

Quote Originally Posted by BT180 View Post
    What's the warranty on that thing? Worth a shot returning it to Bunnings..
    Yeah that's true. Bunnings sell a lot of cheap junk, but they are generally excellent with returns (in my experience)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast