Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRAM Eagle upgrade

Default SRAM Eagle upgrade

Hi, I am wanting to upgrade from a Sram 1x11 setup to Sram eagle with a 36t chainring upfront. I'm just not quite sure what chainring I need. My current chainring is not direct mount whereas the new eagle ones all seem to be (I assume this would still work with my current Sram cranks but not totally sure). They are also available in different offsets and I'm not sure whether I need 0, 3 degree or 6 degree. If anyone could provide advice that would be a big help.

Keep your current front chainring, it’ll work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well get a 36t version of it I mean

Quote Originally Posted by c3024446 View Post
    Keep your current front chainring, it’ll work well

This.
    Don't bother with a new chain ring unless your current one is buggered.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Is your current 1x11 running a 36? Check your frame will fit a 36 before buying, I know I haven't got the clearance to passed a 34 on mine.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

Default Woolftooth 46t giant cog

This year I went XO Eagle on one bike and it was great but expensive....on a 2nd bike with sram 11spd I went with a Woolftooth 46t giant cog....easy to replace the 42t with and great value....look them up even before dropping money on the cheaper GX Eagle...
    Dispite the name change the song will remain the same.

Yep 36t doesn't have much clearance, check your bike but on mine it was too close. I went with SRAM ex-1, 8 sod with 48t, I love it, hardy thick chain, single shifting only
    Cotic BFe[gone to oldest], old Yeti as-r[retired], focus CX,Lapierre xr529

Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    This year I went XO Eagle on one bike and it was great but expensive....on a 2nd bike with sram 11spd I went with a Woolftooth 46t giant cog....easy to replace the 42t with and great value....look them up even before dropping money on the cheaper GX Eagle...
    When you say it was great, how would you compare it to the 11 speed 11 - 46? I'm currently running Sram X01 11 speed with a Sunrace 11 - 46t and really happy with it as my "poor man's Eagle" substitute. I haven't tried Eagle, so I don't know if it would offer any performance advantages. Not sure the difference between 46t and 50t would make much difference.
    safreek: if I want an arse pounding I will go to the correct toilet block

Quote Originally Posted by nzhumpy View Post
    Is your current 1x11 running a 36? Check your frame will fit a 36 before buying, I know I haven't got the clearance to passed a 34 on mine.
    I am on a trek Remedy which is running a 32. My drivetrain is pretty worn so I thought I might upgrade to the eagle but a 50 tooth with a 32 is not really needed - 36 might give a more workable range of gears. I hadn't thought to check out the clearance. Thanks for the tip.

Absolute Black should work OK

From their website:

You say that all Absoluteblack MTB chainrings are compatible with EAGLE 12spd Groupset, why are the teeth of your chainrings different to those on SRAM chainrings?

It’s true that our MTB chainrings will work great with SRAM’s Eagle groupset. The reason why SRAM redesigned the teeth on their chainrings, giving them a ‘hook’ shape, is an attempt to extend the poor life and noise reduction of their chainrings, that are known for fast wear and noisiness. Thanks to higher quality materials, advanced manufacturing processes of our chainrings and excellent tooth shape design, there is no need for a different teeth shape in absoluteBLACK chainrings. We’ve done it right the first time.
    Also 12spd chain is almost no different to 11spd one. 12spd chain has minimally thinner plates and resulting from it dimensions, but such change does not have any negative effect on proper work with chainring. In fact, most chainrings on the market that are 11spd compatible will run with Eagle chain with no issue at all, regardless of what Sram advertising campaign says.
    LINK: Absolute Black FAQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast