Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Hope V4 rear brake adapters?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Nautonier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Hope V4 rear brake adapters?

    New to Hope brakes and had heard that they used the same adapters as Shimano. This was the case for the front, but with the rear, the calliper body bottoms out on the frame. Looking at the Hope specific adapters they look exactly the same, so I'm not sure what to do. I've put a couple of washers under each end so the calliper just clears the frame, but the rotors are now sitting a couple of mm too low in the pads.

    It's been a bad day dealing with adapter issues across two bikes (Fox and Rockshox have parted ways with any attempt at a standard on their forks), please give me some good news.

    IMG_2500.JPG
    safreek: if I want an arse pounding I will go to the correct toilet block

  2. #2
    Senior Member teK--'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    I had to Dremel away some of my Shimano adapter to fit hopes

    IMG_20161031_091023.jpg

    IMG_20161209_150745-1.jpg

  3. #3
    Senior Member Oddjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Welcome to the wonderful world of IS to Post mount roulette.

    That looks like a 160mm disc. Easiest is to go 180mm front and back.

    There are adapters from many different companies all with slightly different geometries. If you're in Sydney you can try a few of mine and see if any help. There's a list of all the makes of adapters on the mtbr forums.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618 View Post
    people with singlespeeds and street fixies seem to spend a lot of time cleaning and taking pics of their bikes for the internet rather than riding them :confused:

  4. #4
    Senior Member Nautonier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of IS to Post mount roulette.

    That looks like a 160mm disc. Easiest is to go 180mm front and back.

    There are adapters from many different companies all with slightly different geometries. If you're in Sydney you can try a few of mine and see if any help. There's a list of all the makes of adapters on the mtbr forums.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It's actually a 180mm rotor. To work with the frame the adapter would have to be slanted rearwards a bit to get the lowest point of the calliper back off the bolt mount.
    safreek: if I want an arse pounding I will go to the correct toilet block

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nautonier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    I had to Dremel away some of my Shimano adapter to fit hopes
    Nice mod. Not sure I want to dremel away some of the carbon frame...
    safreek: if I want an arse pounding I will go to the correct toilet block

  6. #6
    Senior Member TheAzza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mornington VIC
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    Nice mod. Not sure I want to dremel away some of the carbon frame...
    This Shitmano one works. It took me a while to find the right one.

  7. #7
    Senior Member TheAzza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mornington VIC
    Posts
    821

    Default

    That is an E4 caliper, but will easily clear a V4 as well.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Oddjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    It's actually a 180mm rotor. To work with the frame the adapter would have to be slanted rearwards a bit to get the lowest point of the calliper back off the bolt mount.
    Sucky. I've got the same problem fitting my XT 4 pots to post mount.

    Few options.

    1. Go on the hunt for a few different adapters. See if there's any hints on Google or just wait for TheAzza to show up with the answer.

    2. 185mm hope floating disc or Lifeline octagonal floating disc which is ~185mm, both from crc. Then use shims to space the caliper off the frame.

    3. Get a adapter made up. Gripsport may be able to help, I did see a mention of somewhere on mtbr, maybe https://www.mtbtools.com?

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Oddjob; 01-11-2017 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618 View Post
    people with singlespeeds and street fixies seem to spend a lot of time cleaning and taking pics of their bikes for the internet rather than riding them :confused:

  9. #9
    Senior Member the drizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAzza View Post
    That is an E4 caliper, but will easily clear a V4 as well.
    I have a shimmy one that works with my v4's too. 203mm rotor though.

    Probably best to start shopping for a new frame to go with your new forks.

    Or order a hope one.

  10. #10
    Senior Member TheAzza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mornington VIC
    Posts
    821

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •