Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snapped spokes

Default Snapped spokes

Hey guys and girls. I bought some carbon rims on DT240s hubs with DT comp spokes from a reputable Chinese online manufacturer 6 months ago. They are 30 mm int rims got the heavy duty version for the back 32h 3 cross pretty standard. Been having a blast on them till the other day when they went ping and snapped 4 spokes in half on one side. I'm 85 kg kitted up and riding a 120 mm travel fuel mostly xc with a few jumps and stuff nothing too crazy as I'm 42 and have to go to work. I've buckled a few wheels before but never had a problem snapping spokes. I spoke to a wheel builder and he reckons spokes shouldn't snap in the center like that and they could be dodgy and maybe replace the lot. I contacted the company and they came back with an offer of posting me 64 new spokes but say they buy the direct from DT and have had no other issues. Anyone had trouble snapping spokes in the middle where they cross? Obviously if they post me spokes I then have to pay someone to re build or take a shot at it myself which I'm not overly confident about or do I just replace the 4 and hope for the best? Thanks
    Last edited by evad; 04-11-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evad View Post
    Hey guys and girls. I bought some carbon rims on DT240s hubs with DT comp spokes from a reputable Chinese online manufacturer 6 months ago. They are 30 mm int rims got the heavy duty version for the back 32h 3 cross pretty standard. Been having a blast on them till the other day when they went ping and snapped 4 spokes in half on one side. I'm 85 kg kitted up and riding a 120 mm travel fuel mostly xc with a few jumps and stuff nothing too crazy as I'm 42 and have to go to work. I've buckled a few wheels before but never had a problem snapping spokes. I spoke to a wheel builder and he reckons spokes shouldn't snap in the center like that and they could be dodgy and maybe replace the lot. I contacted the company and they came back with an offer of posting me 64 new spokes but say they buy the direct from DT and have had no other issues. Anyone had trouble snapping spokes in the middle where they cross? Obviously if they post me spokes I then have to pay someone to re build or take a shot at it myself which I'm not overly confident about or do I just replace the 4 and hope for the best? Thanks
    Give your wheels to a reputable builder and get them get spokes and check the tensions.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Give your wheels to a reputable builder and get them get spokes and check the tensions.
    Yeah, I reckon that's the way to go, more interested in if other people snap multiple spokes in the middle like that or is it an anomaly? I've had nipples snap and broken the occasional spoke but these all let go almost dead center.
    Last edited by evad; 04-11-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Snapping in the middle is a dead-set spoke quality issue. Breakages arising from a poor build will be at either end; at the heads (hub end) if the tension is insufficient and/or uneven, at the base of the threads if the rim drilling is out of whack & kinking the spokes.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

Check that the spokes have the DT Swiss marking stamped on the spoke head, I would doubt that a quality spoke would have snapped in the middle. If it's a J spoke and it's not up to correct tension they normally go at the bend from rapid fatigue.
    "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ~Aristotle.

Just for the record.... I've seen heaps of spoke snap in the middle due to over tension and gumby abuse.

DB spokes are prone to high stress in the middle of the spoke too... which doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Just for the record.... I've seen heaps of spoke snap in the middle due to over tension and gumby abuse.

DB spokes are prone to high stress in the middle of the spoke too... which doesn't help.

Not saying what you said isn't true but that's not my experience with DB DT swiss spokes and I own 4 sets of wheels that have them and 2 of which are over six years old.

The commuter which I've done over 10000kms on with a second hand set that have the spokes pulled up tight to accommodate 60~80 PSI on road slicks have only popped 2 spokes off at the head. Those rims have steel eyelets on the spoke holes and doubt most wheels would take the sort of tension that I put on them. I also had a back wheel that was run over by a car and they didn't break in the middle.

I actually didn't see what duck posted prior to what I posted either so I'm not having a dig at anyone.
    "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ~Aristotle.

Can't say I remember ever seeing a spoke break in the middle. The four in a row (presumably DS and NDS) at once is also catastrophic. Possible stick through the wheel ?

Did they brake right in the middle, or near the thickness transition?

Ducky, could it be twisting from a frozen nipple that put a twist, and so a weakened spot, in the middle at the thinnest section?
    Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

Breaking where the spokes cross - rubbing against each other due to low tension then breaking? Did the chain go behind the cassette at any time?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast