Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 x 11 setup and question

Default 1 x 11 setup and question

Hi all,

I recently purchased a trek fuel EX9 with 1 x 11 setup, whilst the front chainring is 32 tooth and fine around my local trials, I'm heading to Bright/Fallscreek for a lads mtn bike weekend in a few weeks and are looking to purchase a 28 tooth ring for the hill climbs.
    Do I need a boost chainring or will any direct mount ring be ok?

Cheers
    Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andy t View Post
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a trek fuel EX9 with 1 x 11 setup, whilst the front chainring is 32 tooth and fine around my local trials, I'm heading to Bright/Fallscreek for a lads mtn bike weekend in a few weeks and are looking to purchase a 28 tooth ring for the hill climbs.

Cheers
    Andy

Hey Andy,

Depends on a couple of things.
    1. Is the bike 148mm Rear spacing (Boost)
    2. Which cranks have you got? SRAM/Shimano/Raceface etc?

Presuming you have a boost frame, there are different setups for Boost for different manufacturers of cranks.

Shimano run boost specific cranks with a 94 BCD standard (6mm) offset chain ring.
    Raceface and Sram run standard cranks with a boost specific Direct mount (3mm) offset chain ring.

This gets a little messier if you've got BB30 cranks (but I doubt the Trek has a BB30 bottom bracket)

Quote Originally Posted by andy t View Post
    Hi all,

Cheers
    Andy

The chainring will need to be the same as the existing one, even if DM, so GXP for GXP, BB30 for BB30, Boost for Boost, etc...otherwise your chainline will be fugged, and you will spend the weekend losing chains.

Also, the smaller the ring, the more pedal feedback will be magnified, so check the suspension characteristics of your bike before committing. A 32t should be fine for Bright and Falls, I'm no climber, but the 32/10-42 works for me. Maybe look into getting a 46 on the cassette instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitler View Post
    chops makes me as angry as looking at my Crank Bros dropper post does
    Quote Originally Posted by no one ever View Post
    Australia Post is awesome!

If you make the change 2 teeth either side of stock setup you won't have to change chain length. So a 30 or man up and punch out a 34 big dog

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    The chainring will need to be the same as the existing one, even if DM, so GXP for GXP, BB30 for BB30, Boost for Boost, etc...otherwise your chainline will be fugged, and you will spend the weekend losing chains.

Also, the smaller the ring, the more pedal feedback will be magnified, so check the suspension characteristics of your bike before committing. A 32t should be fine for Bright and Falls, I'm no climber, but the 32/10-42 works for me. Maybe look into getting a 46 on the cassette instead.
    Best advice so far.

Many people don't consider suspension kinematics that is affected by changing the chainring size.

Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    Best advice so far.

Many people don't consider suspension kinematics that is affected by changing the chainring size.
    Any good suggested resources for this?

Is a smaller ring necessarily worse? When will pedal feedback be most noticeable? Does the feedback vary depending on which sprocket you’re in at the back? Or are these sorts of questions largely dependent upon the specific design of the rear end of the bike?

FWIW I have a very similar bike to the OP, a carbon Fuel EX 9.8 which has a 2x XT setup with 36/26 (vs a 1x SRAM on the aluminium 9). I’ve never been conscious of differences in pedal feedback from one chain ring to the other, but then I’m still trying to understand the basics of suspension setup, and haven’t been ‘looking’ for it – whatever it might be ;-)

Default 1 x 11 setup and question

(My decidedly non-expert take: I suspect the average rider is more likely to notice having insufficient gearing to get up a hill than they are to notice pedal feedback.)

Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Hey Andy,

Depends on a couple of things.
    1. Is the bike 148mm Rear spacing (Boost)
    2. Which cranks have you got? SRAM/Shimano/Raceface etc?

Presuming you have a boost frame, there are different setups for Boost for different manufacturers of cranks.

Shimano run boost specific cranks with a 94 BCD standard (6mm) offset chain ring.
    Raceface and Sram run standard cranks with a boost specific Direct mount (3mm) offset chain ring.

This gets a little messier if you've got BB30 cranks (but I doubt the Trek has a BB30 bottom bracket)
    Hi TJmofo,

Yes bike is 148mm rear boost
    Scram X1 cranks

Reading the replies, maybe a should work my legs more and push the hills.... argh

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by puffmoike View Post
    Any good suggested resources for this?

Is a smaller ring necessarily worse? When will pedal feedback be most noticeable? Does the feedback vary depending on which sprocket you’re in at the back? Or are these sorts of questions largely dependent upon the specific design of the rear end of the bike?

FWIW I have a very similar bike to the OP, a carbon Fuel EX 9.8 which has a 2x XT setup with 36/26 (vs a 1x SRAM on the aluminium 9). I’ve never been conscious of differences in pedal feedback from one chain ring to the other, but then I’m still trying to understand the basics of suspension setup, and haven’t been ‘looking’ for it – whatever it might be ;-)

http://www.ridingfeelsgood.com/suspe...edal-kickback/

Surely the 11 at the back has you covered?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast