Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bike to take to Tasmania? Trail or heavy duty enduro?

Default What bike to take to Tasmania? Trail or heavy duty enduro?

Gday,
    I am heading to Tassie for a family road trip and will be bringing a bike to do a lot of riding whilst there. We will be doing a lap of the place over 3 weeks, but will be spending a week in Hobart first, so ill be doing a ride every morning when there and then hitting any other trail i come across during our drive.

Which bike to bring?

I have the choice of a reign XO (160mm HD enduro bike) or my carbon niner Jet 9 29 (100/120mm xc/trail bike) which can handle a decent beating but no big jumpy style stuff.

I am a seeker of gnarly technical terrain, however do enjoy long single track rides that can be painful on the Reign if there is no big decent at the end as a reward.

Is there a lot of gravity style, big hit stuff at most trail centers that will justify putting up with the heavier bike when there is none around, or will i find myself wanting an all rounder at mot places?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by nexusfish View Post
    Gday,
    I am heading to Tassie for a family road trip and will be bringing a bike to do a lot of riding whilst there. We will be doing a lap of the place over 3 weeks, but will be spending a week in Hobart first, so ill be doing a ride every morning when there and then hitting any other trail i come across during our drive.

Which bike to bring?

I have the choice of a reign XO (160mm HD enduro bike) or my carbon niner Jet 9 29 (100/120mm xc/trail bike) which can handle a decent beating but no big jumpy style stuff.

I am a seeker of gnarly technical terrain, however do enjoy long single track rides that can be painful on the Reign if there is no big decent at the end as a reward.

Is there a lot of gravity style, big hit stuff at most trail centers that will justify putting up with the heavier bike when there is none around, or will i find myself wanting an all rounder at mot places?

Cheers!
    See, that's the problem with having too much money. I have 1 bike. It's a carbon Reign and my do all machine. Next year when we got to Tassie I'll be taking that and it will do everything and be epic!
    Don't be soft. take the Reign.

Are coming after the 26th of Jan? If so bring the Reign and hit Maydena!

Seriously, are you keen on seeing as much trail as possible? Or when you see the big stuff will you be frustrated that you can't ride it? Realistically you can ride probably 98% of Tassie trails with the Niner, and Tassie has lots of hills to climb so I reckon the smart play would be the Niner. But the again the fun factor of more squish...

The obvious resolution to this horrific dilemma is buying a 140mm carbon fibre bike with plus sized tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by rangersac View Post
    Are coming after the 26th of Jan? If so bring the Reign and hit Maydena!

Seriously, are you keen on seeing as much trail as possible? Or when you see the big stuff will you be frustrated that you can't ride it? Realistically you can ride probably 98% of Tassie trails with the Niner, and Tassie has lots of hills to climb so I reckon the smart play would be the Niner. But the again the fun factor of more squish...
    Iíll only be frustrated if everywhere I go the trails are loaded with tech trails or they are all big trails that Iíll get pumped on riding my xc bike. From what Iíve read so far, there is a lot of climbing and miles of good trails, so I think the niner will be going unless someone convinced me otherwise.

And Iíll be there from the beginning of dec to Xmas so will miss that opening.

Quote Originally Posted by nexusfish View Post
    I’ll only be frustrated if everywhere I go the trails are loaded with tech trails or they are all big trails that I’ll get pumped on riding my xc bike. From what I’ve read so far, there is a lot of climbing and miles of good trails, so I think the niner will be going unless someone convinced me otherwise.
    Tassie doesn't have loads of big hit trails. Most of the good downhill ones are unofficial, and are not long which is why everyone is pumped about the Maydena development. You'll have a grand ůle time on the Niner.

Take the enduro . Always better to have to have too much bike than not enough.

As I'll be doing quite long rides, the niner will be going. I rode in Scotland a few years ago and there were trails that took me 2-3hrs to get to the top of and then 40 mins fast and jumpy down. I was just wondering if most of the trails were like this, in which case id be happy to grind to the top on the Reign.

Cheers everyone!

We were there last year, doing the lap of Tassie at the exact time you are going, the whole month of Dec.

I took my pub bike (hard tail) and rode it at Derby, Hollybank, Wellington Descent, Glenorchy and Penguin.

Just depends on what you are doing, if you are doing shuttles at Derby, being dropped off at the Springs on Wellington, shuttled to the top of Hollybank... ect, take the big bike. If you are riding all the ups, then take the niner.

The other thing is bike security, the reason I took the pub bike. It stayed on the rack on the front of the caravan while we went for numerous 1-3 hour hikes... if someone stole it, no big deal really.

Evil Following
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Pivot Vault CX
    Fat SingleSpeed
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast