Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension forks on cyclocross frame.

Default Suspension forks on cyclocross frame.

What would happen if I put a 80mm fork on a CX frame like this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod157018. Geometry here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m...tId=prod157018

Would it slacken the angles too much and make it a pig to ride?

I'm interested because I want to create a super versatile gravel grinder/bikepacking/monstercross/kid towing bike.

I could go a Surly or Salsa but steel is real heavy and my inner snob prefers Ti.

The Lynskey MT 29 is out because it doesn't have rack mounts.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618 View Post
    people with singlespeeds and street fixies seem to spend a lot of time cleaning and taking pics of their bikes for the internet rather than riding them :confused:

You bike would be a laufing stock.

Pun intended. http://www.laufforks.com/

Default Suspension forks on cyclocross frame.

Cannondale Lefty Oliver

http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epage.../CL1807210160.

Once VAT is subtracted and USD/EUR conversions are factored in its not that much more. Lot of money for 30mm travel though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smitho; 10-11-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member Mywifesirrational's Avatar

Can you compare the axle to crown measurement of the suspension forks vs what the frame is designed for, if its in 10mm changes to geometry will be negligible.

You also probably going to create a very versatile bike, that the snobs will look down on you about.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod839 View Post
    All three were not wearing neckbraces and its all most impossible to determine if paul and sams outcomes would of being different if they were wearing one.
    Agree completely, there is no evidence!

The listed geometry would be with a CX fork which typically has a 395mm axle-crown whereas a 80mm 29" MTB fork is maybe 475-495mm:

Bottom bracket goes up approx 35% of the increase in axle-crown height, seat tube angle slackened / head angle slackened - about 1 degree per 20mm change in axle-crown height, reach effectively shortened, stack increases.

I would suggest the changes are fairly drastic ... They would be lessened if you could go a 27.5" fork with smaller tyres - whatever fits .. 35mm cx tyres maybe.

Lauf Grit at 30mm (700x42c max) does seem like a better option than trad 80mm MTB fork.

Edit: Oh yeah, also the Fox Shox 32 Float AX fork (700x40c max), which is also aimed at adventure / gravel bikes and has 40mm travel.

Otherwise, maybe there's a taiwanese company who could do a custom Ti MTB frame with the mounts you want for about the same as the lykskey?

Edit2: Don't rule out the MT29 because between seat clamps with rack mounts and P-clips, you can mount racks to pretty much anything. Freeloader racks / whatever Thule call them now, particularly. There are racks that come with custom axles to mount to, tho they're typically QR.
    Last edited by RichJS; 11-11-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Yep 80 is ridiculous on a CX bike. Most rigid CX forks will deflect less than 30 mm. And a good carbon fork can do that comfortably. I've got a tapered carbon Carver 29er/700c QR disc fork doing nothing much if you find a frame...

80 mm on a monstercross bike though...now that's more like it.

As for steel being heavy...well yes but not much more than Ti. And it's all relative when you run fat gravel tyres anyway.

Thanks for the responses guys. Hmmm maybe I will just get the MT29 and put drop bars on it...

Might put a call into Grip about getting the pannier mounts welded on.

people with singlespeeds and street fixies seem to spend a lot of time cleaning and taking pics of their bikes for the internet rather than riding them :confused:

For anyone interested. I ended up going the Lynskey MT29. I'm going to fit drop bars and run it as monstercross.

I'm going to deal with pannier racks by fitting http://www.oldmanmountain.com/SFNT.html with an x12 axle conversion and the seatclamp with eyelets.

Pm incoming silentbutdeadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    For anyone interested. I ended up going the Lynskey MT29. I'm going to fit drop bars and run it as monstercross.
    I did this a while ago albiit a much more budget version.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...t=monstercross

You can do it, but the main thing I would point out in your case is that the ETT length on MTB frames is huge for the same size on a roadie/cross. This is because the drop bar position on the hoods are much further out than a mtb bar. You may be able to get away with a very short stem. But in my case, I had to go down a full size.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin27 View Post
    I did this a while ago albiit a much more budget version.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...t=monstercross

You can do it, but the main thing I would point out in your case is that the ETT length on MTB frames is huge for the same size on a roadie/cross. This is because the drop bar position on the hoods are much further out than a mtb bar. You may be able to get away with a very short stem. But in my case, I had to go down a full size.
    Hmm good point. My Roadie is a Lynskey Sportive Disc XL with an ETT of 590. The MT29 XL has an ETT of 640. I currently run a 100mm integrated stem/handlebar on the roadie but I also have the seat a fair way back on the rails, so a 50-60mm stem should be ~ok on the MT29. I was looking at a super slammed stem such as this to suit a second hand pair of forks with a short steerer anyway, so a long stem was never going to be on the cards.

I'll probably also get a carbon fork set up, for a more CX setup as well. I would love to turn up to a muddy CX race with HR2s in 29x2.3. Monstrous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast