Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norco Aurum C7.3

Default Norco Aurum C7.3

First new downhill bike. Just picked it up. Completely stock. Large weighs in at 17.61 kgs.

Need some tips. What prep should the bike have before itís initial ride/race?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John U; 11-11-2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Adding photo's. FFS! There's a few hours of my life I won't get back.
    "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it". - George Bernard Shaw

Clinically Inane

Congratulations!

Before you race, ride it a bit.

Did you get the springs set up for your weight?

Get some coloured zip ties on the bike to really accentuate your style.

Step 1: spokey dokes.

Step 2: only wear hawaian shirts when riding, ESPECIALLY when racing. I cannot stress this enough. Pit viper sunnies for bonus points.

Step 3: ????

Step 4: profit
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    I rode Newtown, before it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    Congratulations!

Before you race, ride it a bit.

Did you get the springs set up for your weight?
    Race on next weekend at Narbethong. Closeset of the VDHS tracks to me. Meant to be a great track. Initial ride might be practice day next Saturday.

Got the shop to check the sag for me. Rear was in the ball park. Should be closer once I'm all geared up.
    "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it". - George Bernard Shaw

Nice bike. I wouldn't stress too much, if you bought it from somewhere decent it should be good to go.
    - bolts
    - spokes
    - brake lever position
    - shifter position
    - tyre pressure

See you out there. I'll probs be drivng and/or taking photos at Narby, new bike hasn't arrived yet :(

Clinically Inane

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Race on next weekend at Narbethong. Closeset of the VDHS tracks to me. Meant to be a great track. Initial ride might be practice day next Saturday.

Got the shop to check the sag for me. Rear was in the ball park. Should be closer once I'm all geared up.
    Sounds like you're a few pies short of your ideal weight...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnpy3cC673o

Some shops will hook you up with an all out bike fit. Some shops just want you to wheel that sucked out the door so they can count the cash...
    - Seat: You may want to cut the seat post before the race or adjust the angle so you aren't crushing your prostate.
    - Cockpit: are the bars where you want them? Raise, lower, roll forward, roll back, flip the crown, adjust the stem. Set up brake levers and shifter.
    - Pedals: some pedals (such as saints) have a washer for each pin. If you want more aggressive spikes pull out the washers.
    - Chain length.
    - tyres: what pressure feels right? Tubeless?
    - Brakes: wear in those pads.
    -Gearing: want to change any rings?

I'm sure there is plenty more. But it is a start.

Thanks for the tips so far. The shop, YVC, gave it a good once over before I walked it out the door. Will check the cockpit, run the brakes in, and have a look at the tyre pressures. Bolts were checked in the shop.

Is there anything I should do to prevent shuttle rash, or is it inevitable? Wasnít something I ever noticed on my old Sunday. Most of the work that bike did was on the chair at Buller though.

Tape up your left crank the trailers have crank holders. I tape up my seat and chain stays to stop rub marks from shoes. Depends on how much that stuff bothers you I guess.

Clinically Inane

That chain stay protector doesn't look to be providing much coverage...personally I'm partial to a tube bandage on both drive side stays. This doesn't have a weight and ugliness penalty.

It is pretty hard for the shop to set up the cock pit or seat how you like it. That stuff will just be in a generic position or one of the mechanics favourite set up. Best to get them in spots you like.

very nice pick up John. you're going to look fast sitting still. looking forward to reading how you go at Narby and Buller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast