Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: shin guards for the mrs

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Waterfall NSW
    Posts
    42

    Default shin guards for the mrs

    I have got a bike for my wife for chrissy, got some 510s and saint pedals till she hopefully builds a bit of confidence and goes to clips. I am a bit concerned the saints might open up her shin and put an end to all things bike. Anybody had experience with this, do you wear shin guards and what type preferably not anything too chunky DH style? It's a liv pique so cross country light trail be mostly rocky type fire trail round here and easy single track.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mr Crudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upper Suburbia Heights
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evad View Post
    I have got a bike for my wife for chrissy, got some 510s and saint pedals till she hopefully builds a bit of confidence and goes to clips. I am a bit concerned the saints might open up her shin and put an end to all things bike. Anybody had experience with this, do you wear shin guards and what type preferably not anything too chunky DH style? It's a liv pique so cross country light trail be mostly rocky type fire trail round here and easy single track.
    Good point. Mrs bike also has some nasty looking flats with pins, so you have made me think about it too :)

    Maybe some cheaper plastic ones with the reflectors removed to get her started. Given that sedate XC is the way to go for initial lady rides then it also lessens the need for big d00dy flats too I think.

    Unless you want to go nuts with a file on those Saints.......

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    XC Enthusiast JTmofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sydney's South West.....
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    I would look at not sacrificing pedal grip and look at protection while she gets used to them.
    My mate has been wearing (don't laugh) some soccer shin pads after getting a tattoo on his lower leg. Cheap, light and effective.

    He doesn't need/wear knee pads, so the soccer shin pads still leave his knees exposed and are pretty light. Light enough not to feel too cumbersome.
    Also, the full DH knee/shin guards are big and can be very uncomfortable, especially for the Mrs riding XC style trails.

    http://www.rebelsport.com.au/store/f...ProductCreated

  4. #4
    Top Bloke DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    2,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evad View Post
    I have got a bike for my wife for chrissy, got some 510s and saint pedals till she hopefully builds a bit of confidence and goes to clips. I am a bit concerned the saints might open up her shin and put an end to all things bike. Anybody had experience with this, do you wear shin guards and what type preferably not anything too chunky DH style? It's a liv pique so cross country light trail be mostly rocky type fire trail round here and easy single track.
    They're hard to find but 661 comp shin guards are really good too. My lady and I both use them.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Waterfall NSW
    Posts
    42

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    I would look at not sacrificing pedal grip and look at protection while she gets used to them.
    My mate has been wearing (don't laugh) some soccer shin pads after getting a tattoo on his lower leg. Cheap, light and effective.

    He doesn't need/wear knee pads, so the soccer shin pads still leave his knees exposed and are pretty light. Light enough not to feel too cumbersome.
    Also, the full DH knee/shin guards are big and can be very uncomfortable, especially for the Mrs riding XC style trails.

    http://www.rebelsport.com.au/store/f...ProductCreated
    Agreed, a wet foot slipping off a nylon pedal on a rough descent can be brutal and confidence destroying. Good pedal connection is essential for getting out of the saddle and riding the bike.

    Great idea with the soccer shin guard, I'll see if I can find some low key looking ones.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Waterfall NSW
    Posts
    42

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    They're hard to find but 661 comp shin guards are really good too. My lady and I both use them.
    They look good, just checked CRC and they are sold out I'll keep searching when I get time.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Waterfall NSW
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crudley View Post
    Good point. Mrs bike also has some nasty looking flats with pins, so you have made me think about it too :)

    Maybe some cheaper plastic ones with the reflectors removed to get her started. Given that sedate XC is the way to go for initial lady rides then it also lessens the need for big d00dy flats too I think.

    Unless you want to go nuts with a file on those Saints.......

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    I did debate this before getting the saints, I think solid contact with the pedal is the most important for inspiring confidence. If she thinks a foot might slip she wont get out of the saddle, makes for pretty boring biking.

  8. #8
    Top Bloke DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    2,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evad View Post
    They look good, just checked CRC and they are sold out I'll keep searching when I get time.
    Yeah like I said they can be hard to find. Go a medium unless your MRS has VERY thin calves in the ones like CRC had...
    Otherwise POC do them but they're pricey. But I'd definitely recommend full length shin guards regardless.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ForkinGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    doing laps at the ReasonablyAngryWhiteguy Bikepark...
    Posts
    876

    Default

    The soccer shin guards might help, but unless they are on very snugly (and even then) they may slide in a crash and wifey could still end up with a pedal pin scar. and it WILL be YOUR FAULT.

    +1 for 661 comp. The POC ones are good, and a bit more ventilated. pricey but comfortable AF
    pushys have these https://www.pushys.com.au/catalogsea...dow+Conspiracy

    http://colonybmx.com.au/products/ultra-shin-pads/ <<---- these ones look pretty good and are neoprene wrap with velcro like the 661 comps, also some padding along the shin bone at the side. I might get some myself
    http://colonybmx.com.au/dealers/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mywifesirrational View Post
    ...I sent her a photo of a spanish guy killed while fucking a chicken...
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    ...and I for one welcome our ant overlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod839 View Post
    All three were not wearing neckbraces and its all most impossible to determine if paul and sams outcomes would of being different if they were wearing one.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    442

    Default

    following this, have bought myself some saint's to try flats -one of the cadtlemaine guys reckon thems the goods [in addition to moorey's ballarat crew], but also worried about shin protrction. i like the 661 knee pads i have; ill see if my eldest will let me borrow his soccer pads to start [ill have t start wearing long socks to cover them]
    Cotic BFe[gone to oldest], old Yeti as-r[retired], focus CX,Lapierre xr529

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •