New car time!

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just sold the CX5 and time to get a new (second hand) car. Am thinking a wagon, not SUV, as my shoulders hurt lifting onto the roof. Budget is about $30k. Shortlist looks like Audi A4 quattro, Levorg, Golf R, Merc CLA250(not sure though), Merc C250, BMW M sport.

Thoughts?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Just sold the CX5 and time to get a new (second hand) car. Am thinking a wagon, not SUV, as my shoulders hurt lifting onto the roof. Budget is about $30k. Shortlist looks like Audi A4 quattro, Levorg, Golf R, Merc CLA250(not sure though), Merc C250, BMW M sport.

Thoughts?
Golf R.
Levorg.

Why lift bikes onto roof racks when this exists though?

Under budget too. NBD!

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Golf R.
Levorg.

Why lift bikes onto roof racks when this exists though?

Under budget too. NBD!
I was expecting suggestions but can't say I expected that one.

I am leaning towards the golf R but haven't seen or driven one in person yet. I'm unsure of how big the boot space is but apparently it's bigger than the CX5. Cant tow with it, which I don't, but that means no tow bar for the ebike carrier.
Have driven the Levorg and liked it. Doesn't seem as refined as the rest on the list though.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I was expecting suggestions but can't say I expected that one.

I am leaning towards the golf R but haven't seen or driven one in person yet. I'm unsure of how big the boot space is but apparently it's bigger than the CX5. Cant tow with it, which I don't, but that means no tow bar for the ebike carrier.
Have driven the Levorg and liked it. Doesn't seem as refined as the rest on the list though.
I’ve owned a golf gti and loved it to death, driven a newer R and was impressed. But no tartan seats so obviously I’d have to choose a gti over it if I had the chance at another hot hatch, because my flanno's match.

I honestly can’t contribute anything other than “golfs are awesome fun and I regret getting rid of mine” and “yeah these cars are cool and all but have you seen these tiny trucks?”.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I'm curious what you end up with.

May already be on the radar but the Skoda Octavia is basically a Golf with a facelift but I believe have a touch more space. I've heard good things about the rs.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My parents have the Skoda Kodiak RS, which is not useful to this convo, other than to say it’s a pretty nice car for the money.

I’d have no problems recommending the Octavia RS based on their car

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
If you value your wallet I would cross the Audi, BMW, and Merc off that list straight away. If the Levorg has the CVT then avoid.

That leaves the Golf/Skoda. If you want to tow/carry bikes then get one of the 4wd/Tdi models without DSG. If fun is the most important thing then a GTI or R.

Also consider the Mazda6 wagon, it's a thing of beauty.

If towing is super important than the Mitsubishi outlander especially in 4wd/PHEV spec would be the way to go.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
My parents have the Skoda Kodiak RS, which is not useful to this convo, other than to say it’s a pretty nice car for the money.

I’d have no problems recommending the Octavia RS based on their car
It's a pity the RS / VRS petrol models aren't offered with AWD, be an easy choice over a Golf R for me if it was.

There are AWD Superbs? Bit bigger than an Octavia / Golf, but probably about the same as an A4 and likely cheaper. This one has more power than a VRS, so it's better:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If you value your wallet I would cross the Audi, BMW, and Merc off that list straight away. If the Levorg has the CVT then avoid.

That leaves the Golf/Skoda. If you want to tow/carry bikes then get one of the 4wd/Tdi models without DSG. If fun is the most important thing then a GTI or R.

If towing is super important than the Mitsubishi outlander especially in 4wd/PHEV spec would be the way to go.

Mazda 6 wagons are pretty long in the tooth as a design, but are still very nice. Torque converter auto so will tow decently too.

I guess the Golf R is like Renault sport models - a towbar fits just as well as it does on the non sporty versions but they didn’t tick the towing box in the approvals or something… But of course one still fits - and is what I’d do, and ignore the dealers.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm curious what you end up with.

May already be on the radar but the Skoda Octavia is basically a Golf with a facelift but I believe have a touch more space. I've heard good things about the rs.
Octavia is FWD but the Superb is AWD. Heard good things about them but not a huge fan of the looks and the brand isnt well known here so resale drops a bit.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Levorg CVT I heard isn't great if adding power and I think I read isnt good for towing either. Towings not that important for us. Maybe when we get older and move into our #caravanlife era.

Leaning to fun but most of the lower km Golf R's have been tuned but from what I have read they are pretty safe to tune up a bit.

I'll check the outlander and Mazda out thanks.

Another option is a newer Volvo V60.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Octavia is FWD but the Superb is AWD. Heard good things about them but not a huge fan of the looks and the brand isnt well known here so resale drops a bit.
All good if your not into them but remember at $30K you are not buying new. The drop in resale value is a good thing!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
If I really wanted that I reckon my wife would love it. I'll send it to her and see what she says.
I’m only being semi-serious. They’re a classic, but you’d really want to want it at that price.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m no car enthusiast but that C63 does sound good