New car time!

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
Nissan X Trail, back seats folded, I can fit an XL Optic in with the front wheel removed, fork bolted to a support ( like the ones you use in Utes).
Spend the money saved on bikes

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Not what you asked for, but novated leasing an EV is pretty good value right now. PHEV if you need the range.

Based on my calculations, it's about $80 out of pocket difference per week considering the offset fuel and maintenance costs of my current car.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you want an audi just make sure you never need audi to do any work on it. twice they managed to stuff up basic services and leave me stranded on the way home when i brought a car in for log book stuff. second time they took a month to fix it, returned it running very rough and refused to take any responsibility. just dont to it to yourself

skoda may not be the biggest name here but well worth a look at their wagons

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not what you asked for, but novated leasing an EV is pretty good value right now. PHEV if you need the range.

Based on my calculations, it's about $80 out of pocket difference per week considering the offset fuel and maintenance costs of my current car.
Which ones should I look at?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Which ones should I look at?
Depends what you want.

For example, based on my calculations (4 year lease) on the leasing sites:
- Model Y rwd is $240pw
- Model Y awd is $260pw
- Outlander phev base model is $230pw
- Outlander phev mid spec is $250pw

Obviously the model Y is full electric and not ideal if you go out bush and camp a bit. It will however completely shit all over any of hte cars you mentioned in terms of straight line acceleration.

Outlander phev is on my radar mainly because it's actually a ridiculously good camping car. Massive range, decent clearance and the awd system is actually somewhat capable (won't be full offroading though). The acceleration is actually not too bad too by most reports.

For me, the difference in offset fuel cost plus maintenance, insurance and rego is a mere $80 out of pocket and I get to test the EV and hand it back if it's a dud at the end of the process. Kicker is they both have 240v power outlets which is awesome for family campers (or charging ebikes!)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
if you want an audi just make sure you never need audi to do any work on it. twice they managed to stuff up basic services and leave me stranded on the way home when i brought a car in for log book stuff. second time they took a month to fix it, returned it running very rough and refused to take any responsibility. just dont to it to yourself

skoda may not be the biggest name here but well worth a look at their wagons
You’re not getting Audi to work on it - you’re getting some pimply apprentice at a dealership ;)

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can see why so many people are jumping on the GWM cannon ute. Although cheaply made they seem like bang for buck compared to everything else.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I can see why so many people are jumping on the GWM cannon ute. Although cheaply made they seem like bang for buck compared to everything else.
Wait until you see the Mahindra. People think it's cheap indian junk. Yeah it's cheap, but it's far from junk, those indians know a thing or two about rugged reliability given some of their mountain passes!

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wait until you see the Mahindra. People think it's cheap indian junk. Yeah it's cheap, but it's far from junk, those indians know a thing or two about rugged reliability given some of their mountain passes!
The current ones are hideous but the new ones coming out look pretty good.

Flow-Rider

Burner
They review well indeed, I've been watching these people drive around the countryside with one and they seem to like it.

mtb1611

Seymour
Re the Audi.....great cars and whilst I've found the servicing reasonable, parts can be offensively priced. I've got a 2019 SQ5 and the dealer wanted $967 for the rear bumper light....$130 for an internet sourced one and a t25 torx driver did the trick!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Re the Audi.....great cars and whilst I've found the servicing reasonable, parts can be offensively priced. I've got a 2019 SQ5 and the dealer wanted $967 for the rear bumper light....$130 for an internet sourced one and a t25 torx driver did the trick!
It’s the same story with all brands - dealers are a desperate last resort only for spare parts.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I wouldn't say cheaply made, but they are cheap in comparison to a Ranger. I've no doubt the engine tech and general build quality is much nicer in an Amarok or Ranger but I've taken mine on a 3,000km round trip to Fraser Island and it handled it well. I doubt many of us are going to take a ute truly off-road but the roads to and from Lake Mackenzie are a cunt if your vehicle has no off-road chops at all. Zero rattles or creaks when we got back.

Three things annoy me about the ute though -

1. Some user interface niggles -
2. Cruise control hunts - it drops down a bit readily but it's not terrible
3. Lane keep assist - the scourge of modern cars, there's no physical button to switch it off!

Four things I love -

1. Comfy interior - it's bigger than most standard utes and has flexible seating in the rear
2. Gas strut rear tailgate with integrated drop down step - So useful for getting in the back
3. Radar cruise control - so good on short and long drives!
4. Auto DPF burn - no worries about clogging the engine with particulates!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Have you had to do the brakes yet? How many thousands was it?

I would hate to have to pay for the maintenance on a Uras or AMG G63.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk