I dont like wearing a helmet!

mikey55

Likes Dirt
I love the segment from a Jerry Seinfeld CD detailing how stupid we humans are that we even had to invent the helmet instead of refraining from participating in the events that were quite clearly cracking our heads open. Even funnier, the helmet LAW... designed to protect a brain functioning so poorly that it isn't even trying to prevent the cracking of the head of which it is in.

slamer

Likes Dirt
in was always told that you need to change your helmet after a big impact, is this still the case?

i always thought helmets looked cool and it gives me confidants. but doing up the strap properly is how they are designed to be worn even though you see some of the pro's doing otherwise. is there any reason for having the strap loose? or is it for looks. i know they get annoying sometimes but ive seen riders who can take off their helmet without undoing the clip. has anyones come off when they have crashed?

tnankie

Likes Dirt
I love the segment from a Jerry Seinfeld CD detailing how stupid we humans are that we even had to invent the helmet instead of refraining from participating in the events that were quite clearly cracking our heads open. Even funnier, the helmet LAW... designed to protect a brain functioning so poorly that it isn't even trying to prevent the cracking of the head of which it is in.
most original/entertaining post of an old thrashed topic.

kenoath6969

Banned
You should replace your helmet after a crash. Because it can do structural damage to the internals of the helmet. Then it wont protect you as well next time. Helmets may save your skull but you can still break your neck and die.

I was riding along with my full face on unclipped went to ride across a drive way from the road and up onto the foot path. My front tyre slipped out where the driveway met the street and i came off and so did my helmet after i contacted the ground. :rolleyes:

toodles

Wheel size expert
they are still not as safe as a certified helmet, is risking your health worth looking cool?
i do know what im talking about all i said was it wouldn't protect as well as a certified helmet
Dude, not being certified doesn't mean shit. The testing fee for helmets to get AS Certification is complete bullshit. Heaps of companies that sell stuff that won't be worn on the road don't bother getting their helmets tested because of the testing cost and the annual licensing fees.

For years, the entire Giro MTB range was sold without AS/NZ Standards approvals because Giro didn't deem the Aussie market big enough to warrant the on-going costs involved. The fees have come down a fair bit now but they're still pretty damn stupid. The wider your product range, the more products you need to send away for destructive testing and the more annual licence fees you need to pay.

I'm not sure if this has changed but Troy Lee helmets only met SNELL standards but not Aussie Standards because they reckon it's a waste of time and money.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude, not being certified doesn't mean shit. The testing fee for helmets to get AS Certification is complete bullshit. Heaps of companies that sell stuff that won't be worn on the road don't bother getting their helmets tested because of the testing cost and the annual licensing fees.

For years, the entire Giro MTB range was sold without AS/NZ Standards approvals because Giro didn't deem the Aussie market big enough to warrant the on-going costs involved. The fees have come down a fair bit now but they're still pretty damn stupid. The wider your product range, the more products you need to send away for destructive testing and the more annual licence fees you need to pay.

I'm not sure if this has changed but Troy Lee helmets only met SNELL standards but not Aussie Standards because they reckon it's a waste of time and money.
yes but all certified helmets have the high density foam which protects you in a hard impact protec helmets with the exception of the ryan guetler don't have it therefore do not offer the same level of protection.

sure, some uncertified helmets may be just as good for instance the giro helmets, however they would have passed the protecs will not ever pass.

i was making the point about protec helmets not all uncertified helmets, for the record i have worn protecs for skateboarding and while i found them comfortable they did not have the same level of protection a helmet with padding would have.

so perhaps you should read my posts thoroughly before flaming me for something that wasnt what i was talking about.

tnankie

Likes Dirt
... but not Aussie Standards because they reckon it's a waste of time and money.
not sure if this is the case, but I have heard that Australians standards are quite a bit tougher than some others...I am fairly sure i have heard this about helmets but I am definate that I have heard this regarding sunglasses....

just saying that costs may not be the only reason they dont bother getting them tested....BTW is it legal to sell helmets for bike riding that dont meet Australian standards?

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
The whole idea of a helmet is it absorb shock... a shell with soft padding dont absorb shit.
Ridind on the road with a friend... some would say is alot safer than in a park is terms of distance to fall and firce etc... she had a spill, wasnt going very fast, maybe 20kph, she fell and hit her head and her helmet lost a massive chunk (exactly what its designed to do), i know if she wasnt wearing it she probably would have a head that was in 2 pieces.

toodles

Wheel size expert
not sure if this is the case, but I have heard that Australians standards are quite a bit tougher than some others...I am fairly sure i have heard this about helmets but I am definate that I have heard this regarding sunglasses....

just saying that costs may not be the only reason they dont bother getting them tested....BTW is it legal to sell helmets for bike riding that dont meet Australian standards?
Yep, Aust. Standards are tougher for a lot of things. However, SNELL approvals meet and exceed Aus Standards (although some people think vice versa). SNELL tests actually include a penetration test as well on the off chance you fall and land on a spear or someone tries shooting at you.

HAM - Firstly, I wasn't flaming mate. I swear much more when I do :p And secondly, I did read your posts thoroughly, perhaps you should word them better. I know of several certified helmets that wouldn't protect nearly as well as the aforementioned Protec because certification only requires the area protected by the helmet to be protected. Minimalist roadie helmets still pass certification yet serve absolutely no use in skate parks where coping and square edges abound.

On another note, I still wish organisers of the Tour and other roadie competitions would insist on competitors wearing helmets. Imagine the uproar if the X Games let street competitors ride helmetless.... :rolleyes:

buiy47

Likes Bikes
i think that if everyone wore a helmet there would be no issues with looking cool-it could just be accepted as something that saves your life. and, if everyone did wear a helmet, anyone who didnt might be deemed uncool as they dont have the same look.:rolleyes:

also, Australian standards tests use a spiked impact plate on helmets to test their strengh (among many other things aswell i presume). this stops some of those xc helmets with massive ventilation from passing--it aims to recreate falling on a sharp rock etc.

i wonder if those thin plastic protec ones would pass the spike test....and not get stabbed through. just wondering here....ive never tried one.

cheers, alex

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, Aust. Standards are tougher for a lot of things. However, SNELL approvals meet and exceed Aus Standards (although some people think vice versa). SNELL tests actually include a penetration test as well on the off chance you fall and land on a spear or someone tries shooting at you.

HAM - Firstly, I wasn't flaming mate. I swear much more when I do :p And secondly, I did read your posts thoroughly, perhaps you should word them better. I know of several certified helmets that wouldn't protect nearly as well as the aforementioned Protec because certification only requires the area protected by the helmet to be protected. Minimalist roadie helmets still pass certification yet serve absolutely no use in skate parks where coping and square edges abound.

On another note, I still wish organisers of the Tour and other roadie competitions would insist on competitors wearing helmets. Imagine the uproar if the X Games let street competitors ride helmetless.... :rolleyes:
okay perhaps i didnt word it the best and obviousy a road helmet isnt ideal for other types of riding.

The tour organizers make it mandatory to wear helmets with the exception of mountain top finishes and every race i have been in i have had to wear a helmet not sure what competitions you mean.

toodles

Wheel size expert
okay perhaps i didnt word it the best and obviousy a road helmet isnt ideal for other types of riding.

The tour organizers make it mandatory to wear helmets with the exception of mountain top finishes and every race i have been in i have had to wear a helmet not sure what competitions you mean.
No worries

As far as the road racing bit, I meant just the overseas races I keep seeing pics of where they wear those stupid caps...

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No worries

As far as the road racing bit, I meant just the overseas races I keep seeing pics of where they wear those stupid caps...
okay helmets weren't mandatory until 2002 there were protests from riders but luckily common sense prevailed.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
The company that made the regulations for the Australian standard is the importer of bell helmets. That is what I read here last time there was a helmet discussion. Not sure if that is/was true.

Mutha_Hucka

Likes Dirt
holey crap. looking at those photos is making me go down to my lbs and getting a new one because the shell of my mace one has broken away from the foam.

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
They all look a tad painful.

I once fell on the side of my head and got some pebbles stuck in the side of face, it was good fun. Didnt even get concussion - they were sharp little pebbles.

Chuck this in the BMX section or maybe just put it randomly in the hardtail bike section for the skatepark and DJ peeps who dislike helmets...