I dont like wearing a helmet!

coram

Likes Dirt
I got a question fellas.
If the cops stopped me on my bike and asked if they could take a look at my Protec helmet, do you rekon I'd get a fine since it isn't Australian standard?

xc_machine

Likes Dirt
I didn't think they could, but if leitch says so...

And yes, there isn't a very good chance of seeing them stopping you and checking under your lid.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Don't be so sure.

On this day, we were stopped because Hayden wasn't wearing a helmet, and it was just the fact they were so intent on scrutinizing every detail about his bike that was illegal that they didn't check our helmets. But they threatened us with checking all our helmets and giving us a $70 fine for each one without that sticker...f*ckers.

They gave Hayden two options. Either let down his tires and don't take a fine, or take the fine and have them walk him out of Circular Quay. As you can see, he chose the former (on the pink bitch, back tire...:rolleyes:).

Last edited:

redrl

Likes Dirt
the Protec helmet is quite a sexy beast but yeah it is not certified. This thread should be shown to the BMX'ers!

slamer

Likes Dirt
Why do they waste their time on us simple bike riders, when they could be stoping theft or something else more useful. Im pretty sure our protec helmets would be more effective than the "official" ones from k mart ect.
At least your mate hayden could go to a service station and pump up his tires again:rolleyes:

Viv92

Eats Squid
Checking helmets for stickers is purely revenue raising. They real have no reason to do it and I bet those helmets are as good as most.

Power can corrupt people.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
Why do they waste their time on us simple bike riders, when they could be stoping theft or something else more useful. Im pretty sure our protec helmets would be more effective than the "official" ones from k mart ect.
At least your mate hayden could go to a service station and pump up his tires again:rolleyes:
There are no servo's in the city. Also, they were patrolling the area as we are not allowed to ride there. We were lucky with them though as they were both downhillers themselves.

Zac Jamison

Likes Dirt
I got a question fellas.
If the cops stopped me on my bike and asked if they could take a look at my Protec helmet, do you rekon I'd get a fine since it isn't Australian standard?
i dont think it is problem. little feral kids where i live ride peewee 50s near where i live and the cops dont do much.

Paccy66

Likes Bikes
Was riding at you yangs this morning, came across a couple of blokes tooling around on crappy bikes (pretty sure I saw the word 'huffy') wearing no helmets, on one of the dh runs! Further down the trail I came across another bloke, no lid, lying on the rocks in front of his bike. I thought shit, this guys stacked and smashed himself on the rocks, but he was faking it trying to scare his mates. He was lying right across the trail, nearly friggin ran him over. They weren't having a serious go, but still nuts not to wear a lid out there. Would hate to think what would happen if a couple of fast dh'ers had been flying down there.:eek:

wombat

Lives in a hole
For years, the entire Giro MTB range was sold without AS/NZ Standards approvals because Giro didn't deem the Aussie market big enough to warrant the on-going costs involved. The fees have come down a fair bit now but they're still pretty damn stupid. The wider your product range, the more products you need to send away for destructive testing and the more annual licence fees you need to pay.
For what it's worth, I believe the old Protec B2 skate range that had the "SXP" full liner (not the dual density skate ones, these were different again) failed AS tests, about a year before the current B2 and Ace bike ranges obtained approval.

Why they failed I don't know, could have been based on impact tests, or on something much less relevant (like the strap problem that some Giros a while back failed for).

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
My protec has saved my ass 3 times......Out cold once (not for too long), and then 2 less serious concussions. I have no doubt I would have copped a beating without it.
Sounds like you copped a beating with it anyway. You may not have sustained such brain trauma with a proper helmet. Yeah, you didn't die or end up in hospital for a while, but is that really a good outcome?

My mate fell from ~4 meters in the air to flat (concrete) on his head and his pro-tec helmet saved him.
j-rad @ ac?

Dude, not being certified doesn't mean shit.
Bah, they would never have passed, and everyone knows it. Might as well get half a bucket and some foam strips then strap it all to your head.

beatlloydy

Likes Bikes
The worst thing is the guys that have the helmet and hang it off the bars...Dont know why they bother.

I am old enough to have been riding before helmets were compulsory and I used to wear one when riding on the road even tho I didnt have to legally and they were heavy and daggy looking. These days some of the helmets could even be considered a fashion statement.

I must admit that it can be a pain wearing one for the quick jaunt down to the shops. Then a friend fell at 4km/hr on the cobblestones at Centennial park. She became an instant quadraplegic and then died from complications several years later. Since then I always wore one...just takes one bad fall.

Last edited:

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You got to wear a helement unless your retarted its important:mad:

I saw a guy that had a 2007 Sunday Team went on the local DH track not wearing and shin?knee gaurds no elbow gaurds and NO HELEMET and he had a cigarette in his mouth when he was ridin to the start of the track:mad:

Personally i thought that he was the most stupid person in the entire world i mean no helemet doing Dh on a SUNDAY TEAM:mad:

I never ride without a helemet and thats how its should be

Last edited:

jeebus4545

Likes Bikes
u dont need 2 wear ur helmet unless you are doing shit that is dangerous. u dont need a helmet to go to the shops, you need a helmet when you are doing downhill and big drops n stairs

Paccy66

Likes Bikes
u dont need 2 wear ur helmet unless you are doing shit that is dangerous. u dont need a helmet to go to the shops, you need a helmet when you are doing downhill and big drops n stairs
???? Riding the streets is probably when you need your helmet the most. Ever been hit/nearly hit by a car? Car wins every time.
It's like saying "I don't need to wear my seatbelt unless I'm driving like a maniac."