Getting into trials!

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Ok, yet another person that wants to get into the sport of trials!
Since I've been riding, I've owned an STP, then a Stinky, and right now a Banshee Scream. Not exactally possible to do beginner trials on :(. My mate has a Norco Ryde, but that's about it...

In the back of my mind, I have always REALLY wanted to do trials, and loved their videos more than any other.
My problem is, is that I have no way to get a ride on a trials bike before I could purchase one!

Is it possible to rent a trials bike, to see how you like it?
I am 16 years old, and 5'6. Would a long 26" Adamant A1 be alright for a beginner? I could go just go out and buy this, and hope for the best :eek:. I'm very persistent, and confident I could be good at trials with all my spare time, and places to ride :).

I've been looking around OT, could anybody else give me some tips for my situation?
Cheers!

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My advice is to go on a ride with some trials riders from your local area and maybe try a few bikes out, most trials riders are very friendly and willing to help other people get into the sport. Where do you live?

Zyphryss

I live in Melbourne. I've seen a few guys riding trials in the city, but I don't think they have farkin accounts. Isn't trials predominately in the ACT?

By the way JDA, I loved your trials progression video. Keep up the good work :)

Last edited:

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers mate, you should check out Trials is Dead too ;)

The Melbourne guys meet Tuesday nights at Southbank, about 6:30 - 7:00 every week as far as I know. I'm not sure if you can get there but it would be a good place to check out some bikes and meet some fellow riders.

The trials scene is as good as dead in the ACT.

QLD, Sydney and Vic have the biggest scenes but there are a few guys in SA and WA too.

Zyphryss

Cheers mate, you should check out Trials is Dead too ;)

The Melbourne guys meet Tuesday nights at Southbank, about 6:30 - 7:00 every week as far as I know. I'm not sure if you can get there but it would be a good place to check out some bikes and meet some fellow riders.

The trials scene is as good as dead in the ACT.

QLD, Sydney and Vic have the biggest scenes but there are a few guys in SA and WA too.
Thanks JD!
Downloading the TID trailer now ;) as well all the Canberra trials videos! Do you know if it would be alright to turn up at Southbank with out a bike? This definitely sounds promising though!!

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks JD!
Downloading the TID trailer now ;) as well all the Canberra trials videos! Do you know if it would be alright to turn up at Southbank with out a bike? This definitely sounds promising though!!
I guess so, it depends how much they move around, in Sydney its a fair distance between the places we ride on our weekly city ride so its a bit hard to follow with no bike at all but I'm not sure what goes on in Melbourne.

Canberra trials video 13 is my favourite.

Zyphryss

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=107154
This seems not bad for the price^^

I'm also looking to get back into trials, but i prefer a mod. Looking at buying an echo off trialshive
Alex, that looks great! I'll keep looking around, but thanks for that one.
Just finished downloading all the canberra trials videos off OTN, and am well and truely obsessed :cool:
Also, what do you guys think of this?
Not too sure if it would be too good for a beginner, and it's a bit pricey as well... But the guy lives in Melbourne, so I could take it out for a quick test ride even! :)

Povi

Likes Dirt
plain and simple:

find out where he lives, go talk to him about the bike. if you like it, then buy it. it will last you a very long time as it is speced out well, expecially for a beginner

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Zyphryss, I think that one will be a bit long for you, if it was the short version I'd say go for it but the long has a 1095 wheelbase and thats going to be too hard to ride, believe me I've been there with the Kot and had to sell it.

The Rhyno is ok for a first trials bike although the geometry is very outdated now and I believe they cost around $600 when they were new although I'm not 100% sure on that.

Zyphryss

Zyphryss, I think that one will be a bit long for you, if it was the short version I'd say go for it but the long has a 1095 wheelbase and thats going to be too hard to ride, believe me I've been there with the Kot and had to sell it.
Thanks JD, you have been such a great help!
I just re-measured myself, and I am 175cm, which equals 5'74.
Would a 1095 wheelbase still be too long? Or would something around 1075 (short) be better? I'll still go and meet the guy, and have a ride. Might as well eh :) Thanks for that advice Povi. It's reassuring to hear from someone as experienced as you, that it is a well specced bike!!

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah if you can try it and it feels good then go for it, I'm 170cm and rode the long Kot MS2 which was 1100cm wheelbase for a while, I could still ride it pretty good, just not as good as my shorter 1070 bike.

tba

Likes Dirt
Jda - how similar would the geometry of that Rhino be to my '03 Monty 231??
Regarding the topic of wheelbase, mine is 1040.. which i'm pretty comfortable with for now, having just come off street/dj bike. I'm about the same height as you Zyphriss (couple cm taller). I had a ride on AK's bike the other day, which is ~1070mm wheelbase and it was noticeably longer, however I reckon i could get used to it.

I'm definatly not as experienced as some on here, but my two bobs worth would be to go with the rhyno if you're that keen. Especially if it has good gear, as you can just upgrade to a better frame later if you decide to stick with trials. You may able to get it cheaper than $600 too.
1095 seems pretty long on the Adamant (as others have stated), especially with that stem and bar combination. (looks like a nice bike though!)

That's just my opinion, as I've very recently jumped into trials from a similar background as yourself..... and I dont' plan on turning back in any hurry.
I bought my Monty for $650 off ebay.... was hesitant for a bit, then just bid and won. I'm so glad i did. I love it. It has some pretty sweet gear though, so I can just take that with me to my next frame (probably next year some time)

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jda - how similar would the geometry of that Rhino be to my '03 Monty 231??
Regarding the topic of wheelbase, mine is 1040.. which i'm pretty comfortable with for now, having just come off street/dj bike. I'm about the same height as you Zyphriss (couple cm taller). I had a ride on AK's bike the other day, which is ~1070mm wheelbase and it was noticeably longer, however I reckon i could get used to it.
I'm not sure what the geo on either of those bikes is but I'd say the Monty being a 2003 model should have better geo than the Rhyno.
Yeah 1040 is real short by todays standards, these days a short wheelbase is around 1060 and the average is about 1085 but Bottom bracket rise also needs to be considered because as you increase BB rise it decreases the distance between your feet and the handlebars, making the bike feel a lot shorter. For example that Adamant has 30mm BB rise and a wheelbase of 1095mm so it would feel roughly similar to ride as a bike with say 10mm BB rise and a 1075mm wheelbase.

tba

Likes Dirt
So will the Rhino, even though it has older geo, be better than a DJ frame?
How much trials type stuff have you tried on you dj?

Don't let it stop you having a go. I spent at least 6 months trying to do trials on a dj bike. Things like getting onto picnic tables, dropping off ledges, all that.

Then, when you do get a trials bike, it'll be like heaven on wheels.

Cheers

coops22

Likes Bikes
I had a look at the bike on ebay. I am curious about it having 116mm rear dropouts on it. What is the reason for that and does it make any difference compared to standard 135mm dropouts?

Povi

Likes Dirt
it just means for the rear you need to either run a bmx spaced hub, or run a front freewheel.

they also use horiz. dropouts, so it makes tension much easier.

Zyphryss

Yeah if you can try it and it feels good then go for it, I'm 170cm and rode the long Kot MS2 which was 1100cm wheelbase for a while, I could still ride it pretty good, just not as good as my shorter 1070 bike.
JD, keep it mind that I have never even "sat" on a trials bike before :p
How am I suppose know if a certain bike it too large, or too small?
Cheers