Getting into trials!

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JD, keep it mind that I have never even "sat" on a trials bike before :p
How am I suppose know if a certain bike it too large, or too small?
Cheers
You dont want to feel too stretched out but if you have never tried a trials bike before then its hard for me to describe, you will have to make your own mind up on this one Im sorry :eek:

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Alright, I'll keep that in mind!!
But it should be pretty obvious if the sizing is extremely wrong, either way..
Don't be sorry, you've been a great help! :)

tba

Likes Dirt
Yeah, a trials bike will feel wierd at first. But, you will probably know if it's way out. When I got mine, it had a 150mm 20deg rise stem on it. Which was way to long for me. It took me a while to get used to the different geometry, but I knew the stem was way to long for me.
I now run a 120mm stem with 17deg rise.

Zyphryss

Well well well, what have I got myself into!!
I purchased that Adamant A1, for a much larger sum of cash than I should of allowed myself...
Man, bidding on eBay is addictive!
Now I have to promise myself that I'll ride it, and ride it well :eek:
I'll keep you updated, thanks guys!

Last edited:

tba

Likes Dirt
Nice!!!!

It'll probably feel wierd as, for the first few days.
Then you probably won't look back ;)

coops22

Likes Bikes
Hey Zyphryss, I was watching that auction. Congrats man. Great to hear some feedback soon on how she rides.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work mate, its going to be a great bike!

Stick with it, learning trials takes time but its very rewarding when you start to get it dialled.

JD.

Zyphryss

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I was having second thought about if it was the right thing to do, but I feel better now :)
Hope it's ok to ask this in this thread, but what should I try first on the bike?
I'll need to get used to the geo, so what about trying to hop up some stairs with both wheels?
And it will be normal to feel hopeless at first, right? :eek:
Sorry, I bet this is like teaching someone to ride a bike!

tba

Likes Dirt
Umm.. trying to hop up stairs is probably not the best first thing to try. They tend to have sharp hard edges, which are less than sympathetic to rear rims when you don't quite make it and land hard.

If you haven't already learnt the basic stand-still balancing techniques, definately start with them. e.g. rocking, rolling the front wheel back and forth a bit, etc.

Then probably start working on hopping on your back wheel. This will open up doors to many other skills, as well as just increasing your balance and stability in general.

Learning the "pedal-up" will also be extremely helpful, and you'll never stop using it. I think it's also referred to as the "jap-slap" (http://www.trials-online.com)

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
I'm in the same boat starting out with trials + I'm still healing from a broken wrist I got in July, (I 2 wheel landed a 50cm drop on my BMX this morning & f*!k it hurt!). I'm just practising trackstands & rocking & pivoting in my driveway, but I can already get all the way round a couple of times before having to roll to keep my balance, I'm going to collect a dozen pallets or so & start doing pedal ups in a couple of weeks. I can only get the front wheel up by bitch cranking it while rolling or rocking forward & then pulling up when stationary.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah like I said before, start riding with some other trials riders and you will progress much much quicker, The RL mastering the art of trials DVD covers all the basics you need to get started.

tba

Likes Dirt
Hey

I was just looking on trials-online.com. If you haven't already checked it out, do so. it's definately worth a look for alot of the basic moves to get you started.

Rush

Likes Dirt
Should have responded to this earlier but im a slacker.

I live in Melbourne but dont ride too much, I do have the contact numbers of most people that ride here though. I'm happy to help out with parts, tools, advice whatever. Give me a call on 0422 904 028 or send me an email on toberush@hotmail.com.

Zyphryss

Thanks for the generosity Rush!!

But unfortunately, I just received an email :(

hey mate, sorry got some bad news. the bike has been sold already. i needed the cash straight away and upfront and ive already reveived it from the buyer. sorry again. but visit www.trialshive.com, thats where i bought mine from. sorry once again

daniel
Not. Happy. Jan.
:mad:

So now I've split up my previous bike, and sold half of it already...
Oh well, anyone selling a Stock bike? :eek:

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shit thats a low act, if you list a bike on ebay you should wait and sell it to the highest bidder, I'd be giving him some neg feedback for that one!

The guys at www.belrosebicycles.com have a 2008 Echo Pure in stock or try trialshive.

tba

Likes Dirt
Yeah. Have a look into ebay policies. That's probably 'illegal'. Pretty low of him.

coops22

Likes Bikes
Zyphryss, mate, what a bummer. You get your hopes up and POW!, right in the kisser. That is a low act on his behalf. Hope you get a ride soon mate.