8hrs of Down Hill Event!!! 9-2-2008

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Ever wanted to get a bunch of mates together and take on the world in a team based down hill event???

From the demented minds ofCTMBC and Bright Oragne Events we give you the 8hrs of DH.

Taking place on the Lidsdale tripple track (the short courses used for the Lithgow state round)

The basic concept is teams of 3. Each ride gets 2 runs on each track (6 Timed Runs each) and then the teams total time is put together.

For full detail go to http://www.brightorangeevents.com/ and follow the links.

Entries are limited so get in early :eek:

Last edited:

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
I was speaking to stu about this concept last month. Sounds like a great days racing, so I'm scrambling to get a team together for both 8hrs that weekend.

thecat

There's not a wall know to man that would be able to withstand the onslaught of high frequency brain waves....

BOE

Bright Orange Events
The basic concept is teams of 3. Each rider gets 2 runs on each track (6 Timed Runs each) and then the teams total time is put together.
...and there'll actually be time for more runs than that, so it's only the 6 best runs (2 on each track for each rider) that will count towards the total.

In other words: There's time to make up for a terrible run and improve!

Is there a double crown?
For now, I kinda like the idea of 'the lowest combined finish'... ie. If I come 1st in the Elite men's downhill on the Saturday, and come 3rd in Solo Men on the Sunday, well, I get a combined '4' (it also means we're in an alternate universe, but then again this is a week that I have ridden a DH course). This combined '4' would beat a combined '7', and yeah, there's fairness implications for teams vs. solos, but you get that.

I'm also a fan of crossing the streams...where the result is delegation :p. So anyone should feel free to suggest double-crown ideas, and we may well run with one.

For full detail go to http://www.brightorangeevents.com/ and follow the links, entries to open shortly...

sammydog

Combined event over two days sounds great, but I would imagine some pretty slow lap times being pulled out after doing push runs for 8 hours, then racing the enduro.

Its not like the XC track there doesn't take it out of you enough. I'll predict carnage towards the end for whoever is game enough to push for a combined event win.

In other words: There's time to make up for a terrible run and improve!

so your almost giving a guareentee that I won't suck in all my runs........I like this event even more.

Shame the Cat has barred me from attending due to an alledged stench eminating from my general vicinity.

BOE

Bright Orange Events
Combined event over two days sounds great, but I would imagine some pretty slow lap times being pulled out after doing push runs for 8 hours, then racing the enduro.
I expect only 10% of people to be alchemist-loony (ok, maybe 20% given that every club I've 'hinted' to that the Lidsdale 8 hours of Downhill was about to be announced to has people keen to do both), but even then, the 'combined' event will only be a little side thingy, though it is the sort of thing that sounds like it should be rewarded with beverages should the winners be old enough :)

so your almost giving a guareentee that I won't suck in all my runs........I like this event even more.
I'll give you a guarantee that your runs won't suck as much as mine (in fact, I'll give anyone that guarantee)!

Shame the Cat has barred me from attending due to an alledged stench eminating from my general vicinity.
The Cat hasn't banned anyone, i'll buy him nose-plugs or similar... :p

Last edited:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
BOE, your method sounds simple enough to work out which is a good thing after two long days.

If you wanted to complicate it a bit more take the riders combined runs from saturday (winner gets 1 point, 2nd 2, etc...) and then the two fastest laps from Saturday (winner gets 1 point, 2nd 2, etc...) , lowest score gains the people's ovation and fame forever (beverages would be nice, but unnecessary)

thecat

BOE, your method sounds simple enough to work out which is a good thing after two long days.

If you wanted to complicate it a bit more take the riders combined runs from saturday (winner gets 1 point, 2nd 2, etc...) and then the two fastest laps from Saturday (winner gets 1 point, 2nd 2, etc...) , lowest score gains the people's ovation and fame forever (beverages would be nice, but unnecessary)
Or take your average run times from Saturday + your average lap times from Sunday and set a minimum of laps/runs to be eligible.

Now I wonder how much I'd have to pay Rennie and Rowney to be in my team....:p

sammydog

I'm keen on riding both days and plan on being exceedingly average at both:D
Looks like I now have a team for both. No point driving that far and not doing both races. I don't care how you work out the winner of a combined event. I'm not going to be in contention anyway.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I'm not going to be in contention anyway.
Don't be to sure; you just have to come up with a good scoring system that favours yourself and convince STu its the one to go with. As the Cat always says "a good time keeper will beat a good rider every time" ;)

BOE

Bright Orange Events
Don't be to sure; you just have to come up with a good scoring system that favours yourself and convince STu its the one to go with. As the Cat always says "a good time keeper will beat a good rider every time" ;)
A good scoring system is a simple scoring system... (as it is, the 8HODownhill is going to make some timekeepers earn their dinner! :)).

I'm more than happy to just award a combined winner now, who wants to call dibs?

sammydog

WooHoo, I win.

Might be slow on the track, but if this is how the winner is picked, I have no gripes. Now.......who wants to be on my winning team.

Applications close 5pm on Feb 1.