Be carefull, steel jump @ Oxford

BT180

Max Pfaff
I just started scouting where will be best spot for roadgap over the shuttle road (from Oxford Falls site to Lizzy). Can I have approval from you guys?

I definitely would not recommend building anything new at Oxford Falls at the moment. There is current and ongoing negotiations with local land owners regarding the future of the site.

It's a delicate situation and you wouldn't want to jeopardise the hard work being put in by others.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Jump has been decommissioned and will be removed from site next weekend.
For those that didn't get to hit it or see anyone hitting it please check out the photos on Phat Snaps. http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=146617
Cheers
Smart move. Not everyone is as reasonable as Chuckie, and you may get a whingy bitch (like some who have posted on this thread) who is misguided enough to blame the builder of the jump for their own mistakes and subsequent injuries. Poor form from those who have publicly identified and slandered the builders, and indirectly taken jumps away from those who have pushed themselves to attain a high level of riding skill.

The lesson I have learnt from this is: build in secret.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
I definitely would not recommend building anything new at Oxford Falls at the moment. There is current and ongoing negotiations with local land owners regarding the future of the site.

It's a delicate situation and you wouldn't want to jeopardise the hard work being put in by others.

:D Did you ever been on that area? :D

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Definition for freeride jump doesn't exist :) You are funny. Jump is jump. It is about how you shape it. It its about radius, angle of lip and how long is it (bucle or not) acording that you just fly over or turn backflip. that is simple maths.

I still think we build it up good jump... ;) and somebody gave it good nick: 747 (nice one).

I just started scouting where will be best spot for roadgap over the shuttle road (from Oxford Falls site to Lizzy). Can I have approval from you guys?
Nah i think i will disagree on the point "a jump is a jump". For a start the lander needs to be specific to the type of jump. A good example of this if you take someone that only rides DH and put them on dirt jumps they are gonna find it strange. I mean generally DH jumps you want to hit with max speed and they dont reall kick ya (well i mean i cant remember too many DH jumps that you break for). Dirt jumps allot of the time you will massively stuff it up if you hit fast and should be slower pump & lift more. BMX track jumps are also different as allot of these you need to hit fast and really pump. Likewise jumps out of a rhythm section are totally different. Anyway i aint an expert, but i do know that the lander needs to match the type of jump... and ofcourse the type of line that it is on.

The name 747 has been used for a jump that was previously there.

All the best with your building, please chat with Cuthbert as he knows more than most about what is going on and could give some better advice on whether your idea on the new jump is good or not.

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
:D Did you ever been on that area? :D
I'm not well enough equipped either with skill or gear to go down Lizard Rock. I have been down the Oxy DH.

Sounds like you want to build something though, which I don't think is a good idea at the moment...for obvious reasons.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
Nah i think i will disagree on the point "a jump is a jump". For a start the lander needs to be specific to the type of jump. A good example of this if you take someone that only rides DH and put them on dirt jumps they are gonna find it strange. I mean generally DH jumps you want to hit with max speed and they dont reall kick ya (well i mean i cant remember too many DH jumps that you break for). Dirt jumps allot of the time you will massively stuff it up if you hit fast and should be slower pump & lift more. BMX track jumps are also different as allot of these you need to hit fast and really pump. Likewise jumps out of a rhythm section are totally different. Anyway i aint an expert, but i do know that the lander needs to match the type of jump... and ofcourse the type of line that it is on.

The name 747 has been used for a jump that was previously there.

All the best with your building, however please chat with the older crowd of guys that are at oxy as they can give you some better advice on whether your idea on the new jump is good or not.
Freeride = ride anything anywhere (maybe anytime :) ) it means be able to hit the jump from angle 0 to angle 90 degree. Variety... etc. we have no definition. som big step-ups kickers have radius that you can do even backflip to step up... etc... have you seen 60ft gap on last RedBull Rampage?... and other man made stuff? there is no limit, no definition. Its about skills and fun (most important is fun).

Anyway...

I'm 39 years old and I did my first DH competition in Europe 1996. :)
and my mates are even older (and even more skilled) ;)

stickso

Likes Dirt
Do you mean across Morgan Rd where the general public drive? Have you thought this through?

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
guys i think lucas is taking the piss...

sorry i was one of the reasons for removal of this jump.

Last edited:

Lukas

Likes Dirt
All the best with your building, please chat with Cuthbert as he knows more than most about what is going on and could give some better advice on whether your idea on the new jump is good or not.
Derka Derka you are smarty pants aren't you :)
Checked your time when you change your copy :)
Ok, maybe Cuthbert is older. ;) I will have a chat with him.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
guys i think lucas is taking the piss...

sorry i was one of the reasons for removal of this jump.
Mate, you've taken full responsibility for your own actions. If all riders had your attitude, there would be no lawsuits, no whinger hassles, and jumps would be as jumps should be. And lawyers would go broke, hooray!! All props to you Chuckie.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Can somebody senior on farkin point a link from this tread to info on how to build freeride style jumps and what the safe angles etc are???...that way we can cut the BS about good & bad jumps.
Cheers
I have been slowly building up a library of trail building standards, designs and pictures from my time over here. I will have a look through what I have and see if there is anything that you might be interested in.

I'm also going to an IMBA Canada trail building workshop this weekend. If you would like to get any questions together I would be happy to ask them for you. I suspect that the workshop will be for more XC type trails but I'm sure that there will be some other builders around whose brains I can pick.

Lastly could I suggest that you get on nsmb.com? The trail building forum there has some real gurus on the building side of things and has guys who build the things that you see in the Movies. There is a wealth of knowledge there if you are after it. Alternatively send me any questions and I'll either post them up or ask some of the local builders in person. Would be happy to help since I can't dig in person.

And in terms of the jump that's been decommissioned, I'm sure that we (hopefully) haven't seen the last of it. It looked to be a really well built kicker and I'm sure it can be used again. I'm sure the builders have learned heaps from the time it was up and its only going to get better next time it gets used.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/publications/Publications/LSCRMtnBikeGuide.pdf

Worth a look, it doesn't have exact prescriptions in terms of ramp angles or gap distances (and frankly I think there won't be much published with exact numbers-its a suck it and see kind of thing) but these are the standards that people build to on Mt Semour on the North Shore.

Its pretty cool that the Land Manager permits (and even encourages) double black diamond trails on their land.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Main problem is legal liability.
Lets face it, anyone who builds a jump (no matter how big or small) runs the risk of being sued. However as most jumps are built by a number of often unknown people (trail fairies) and subsequently added onto by others in a fairly organic fashion there isn’t a clear & direct line of responsibility for someone to sue.
Cheers
Not that it's much of a consollation, but in this case the builders might be tough to sue (successfully), since the claimant would have been trespassing anyway...

Fair point though. I reckon builders are generally at more risk than landowners/the council/any of the other groups who keep screaming "liability".

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hope he gets well soon mate.
Ime thinking about trying the floater next time i come down, is it in good condition?

And if and when the trails there have been settled, will the fairies be rejuvenating the lizard rock trail? (on the left hand side).
I would gladly help because this was my favorite side when it was functional.
Has a great few obstacles on it as well as the area for the bridges (they were sweet).

cheers and ride safe!

Dvd

Squid
I think it's a shame we have to consider all this liability crap in Australia. It is fair dinkum un Australian.

Maybe we should vote jump stays or jump gets removed.
I vote it stays.:)