Be carefull, steel jump @ Oxford

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as you shuttle up from the sandy car park, and turn the bend, look up to your right. There is a 40m rock shelf that slopes its way down to the edge of the road, would be an awesome stunt!

check it.

PLUCAS

Likes Dirt
as you shuttle up from the sandy car park, and turn the bend, look up to your right. There is a 40m rock shelf that slopes its way down to the edge of the road, would be an awesome stunt!

check it.
Surely your not proposing that with some imagination a small amount of work you could actually use the fantastic AUSSIE terrain we have and create our own unique type of FREERIDE stunts ?? This is an outrageous idea. I think it is best to mimick the stuff we are fed in N,shore video's.

Last edited:

orfeo

Likes Dirt
if the main problem is people over shooting the jump. How about we get someone who is adept at hitting it record some stats on it. Ie speedo on the bike could record the right speed to hit it at (although this would probably not be practical for ppl). Alternatively ppl could watch him or video him and then record the number of seconds between two trees or something so people could cound themselves in and if they reach that tree before counting to three then they are going to fast, slam on the breaks and head back up for a second run.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
I still think we build it up good jump... ;) and somebody gave it good nick: 747 (nice one).
I agree, you built a good jump, but that was never the problem.

I don't like the fact that it is being removed since it feels like a step backwards for builders at Oxxy.

If you read the complaints from people who actually ride there and have seen it then you will notice they mostly say the same thing: It needs a safety for the landing at the back. Or the landing needs to cover more horizontal space (that is either a safety or flatten it a bit). It's useless to say the landing is 4.6m long when only a part of that is horizontal since that is the part you will overshoot. It seems like this was thought of from an Engineers perspective and not from a riders perspective.

Unfortunetaly most such criticism was met with comments like: "it keeps the beginners off". That is a really bad attitude to have as a builder.

How are you supposed to progress to the next big thing if the next big thing already requires you to have the skill before you can try it?

Anyway, I wish the builders rather took the advice and modified it instead. It would've been a better outcome IMO.

F1234K

Likes Dirt

check it.

Yes, many a builder has drewled over that rock :)

It's very exposed to the road though which I think is why most have stayed away.

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt
How are you supposed to progress to the next big thing if the next big thing already requires you to have the skill before you can try it?.
What sort of progression are you talking about? From the sounds of things your trying to step up to far to fast. I think that you shouldn't go beyond, something like an 80% difference. ie there should be 80% + that is the same as some other jump or combination of jumps that you've experienced.

More like 90% but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
if the main problem is people over shooting the jump. How about we get someone who is adept at hitting it record some stats on it. Ie speedo on the bike could record the right speed to hit it at (although this would probably not be practical for ppl). Alternatively ppl could watch him or video him and then record the number of seconds between two trees or something so people could cound themselves in and if they reach that tree before counting to three then they are going to fast, slam on the breaks and head back up for a second run.
Too complicated... :)

Unitec mentioned here once before. Hit the Vegemite and roll down to the jump (no pedal). But definitely if you are not skiled watch first somebody who is hitting it smoothly. Whatever... at this time its pointles. the kicker is gone.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
I have been slowly building up a library of trail building standards, designs and pictures from my time over here. I will have a look through what I have and see if there is anything that you might be interested in.
It will be great thing when you get home to Oz to apply your knowledge and skills. Could be a new trail building business coming to Oz...

dcrofty

Eats Squid
It will be great thing when you get home to Oz to apply your knowledge and skills. Could be a new trail building business coming to Oz...
I certainly plan to put lots of skills into use but I don't think I'll be challenging Glen Jacobs and co professionally any time soon.

Although if they wanted to give me a job it would be tough to say no, sure he's got plenty of good staff though.

I plan to work in the public service (hopefully NPWS) though and I'm sure some skills could be put to use there in some way.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
I certainly plan to put lots of skills into use but I don't think I'll be challenging Glen Jacobs and co professionally any time soon.

Although if they wanted to give me a job it would be tough to say no, sure he's got plenty of good staff though.

I plan to work in the public service (hopefully NPWS) though and I'm sure some skills could be put to use there in some way.
Glen Jacobs is same quality trail builder as other else... probably same as you... his advantage is that he has big know-how where the money coming from (government). So don't put your confidence down. :)

PLUCAS

Likes Dirt

World Trail are advertising a position now. however the applicant requires
earthmoving machinery tickets