What are YOU reading?`

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
'Prey' Michael Crichton

'Airframe' is one of my all time favourite Crichton novels...began reading 'The Andromeda Strain' which was really good but I had to return it to the library...:(

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Haven't had much time for anything of substance lately. Just read a Phillip K Dick novel, 'The World Jones Built", about a post apocalypse society that votes out their authoritarian, but relativist government for an absolutist dictator. Interesting.

Apart from that, it's been vintage aeroplane magazines, acres of spreadsheets for work, and the ever-present Viz Comic.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Hahah my girlfriend has been trying to get me to read these since we met. She reckons the series is awesome and is waiting patiently for the next book. George has a blog and he keeps posting every few months telling his fans that there are more delays.

Im yet to read one, tried once, but struggled in the first 50 pages and gave up on it. Maybe im just not a fantasy reader. Even though his books are meant to be 'not your typical fantasy lit'.

N
I'm not a fantasy reader at all, and I reckon these are brilliant.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
In the middle of reading Generation Kill by Evan Wright after watching the ace mini-series. Wright is a journalist for Rolling Stone who was embedded with the US Marines First Recon Battalion in the opening stages of the 2003 Iraq invasion.

Rather than tread down the usual path of soulless descriptions of tactics and strategy, Wright concentrates on the soldiers themselves and gives a quite funny and frank account of what happens when you send the MTV generation off into war.
i also got my hands on the mini series and wouldn't mind getting a copy of the book. i was captivated by the personal accounts of the war from the marine perspective.

almost like a mix of Three Kings and Jarhead. Like Underbelly, its hard to believe that shit went down this way, most of it seems so surreal. Idiot COs, total disrespect for opposing force, coming to grips with messed up situations. Was gripping to say the least.

W2ttsy

Le toro

Likes Bikes
Reading 'The Sicilian' by Mario Puzo (Wrote the Gothfather) which makes me want to move to Sicily...

Also 'an Ordinary Person's guide to empire' by Arundhati Roy

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got "The God Delusion", will read it once I finish Darkly Dreaming Dexter (which is awesome, so far).

nizai

Likes Dirt
Gravedig for a +1 to Pint Of Stella Mate.

I picked up a copy of Guns, Germs and Steel on his recommendation and have found it thoroughly absorbing. Really interesting stuff. Every page seems to have a juicy fact id never previously come across.

Im constantly stopping to explain amazing facts about world history to my girlfriend!

Great book.

N

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah

Preacher. A comic about a disillusioned minister who, armed only with The Word, an ability to make people do whatever he tells them to do, sets off on a quest to find God and ask Him why He has decided to abandon His creation.

Lots of comics are suitable for kids. This ain't one of them.

Matt H

Eats Squid
I read a great book a few weeks ago. "Don't tell mum I work on the rigs - She thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse". Just a memoir of this guys experiences working on oil rigs all around the world. It's only a short read but it's really good. Would definitely recommend.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I read a great book a few weeks ago. "Don't tell mum I work on the rigs - She thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse". Just a memoir of this guys experiences working on oil rigs all around the world. It's only a short read but it's really good. Would definitely recommend.
Really great book, double recommendation for balls-aching hillarity!

I've been reading a few war-orientated books lately for no particular reason other than it's a change from my normal diet.
- Black Hawk Down. The best book about war I've read, period. Riveting reading and full of the kind of details that only the most meticulous author can provide.
- The rape of Nanking. Horrifying reading, reminds you that the Japanese were every bit as babaric in their behaviour in occupied areas as the Nazis and in some ways even more so in areas such as wholesale rape of the local population. I visited Dachau the day before starting reading this, and even with those horrible images in my head the atrocities committed at Nanking really stand out for sheer brutality.

Apart from these, I've recently been reading a few Lonely plant guides for various countries, and am always pleased by their accuracy and content. I've tried a few others but they do deserve their excellent reputation, provided you don't blindly follow their directives like many do and try to make your trip into a point-scoring exercise.