What are YOU reading?`

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just asking what people are reading these days?
Me, im reading the shining by stephen king.
This thread was brought upon by boredome on a eventless sunday night.

|Matt|

Banned
'Russian Complete Course".

Yeah, learning to speak Russian. I'm Ukrainian, and although the languages are similar, I'd rather learn Russian...

Renegade

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few months ago I finished reading 'Scar Tissue', an autobiography of Anthony Kiedis, the singer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and even though I love their band, I chose to read it because to me he always seemed like an Interesting character and had background info he was a major druggie and wacked dude. So I read it, and I found out alot of information about the band and himself. Ontop it was a really well put-out book and very good use of techniques.

I'de reccomend it to anyone, even if you don't like the band. Its a great story from slums to riches.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'de reccomend it to anyone, even if you don't like the band. Its a great story from slums to riches.
Slums to riches? He had Cher as a babysitter FFS!

Whiny self-righteous hippy. Still it's worth reading just to give you an angle on drug and alcohol addiction and how painful and completely controlling it can be.

At the moment I'm reading Blood and Oil by Michael Klare. It's all about America's dependence on imported oil from the middle east and itspeculates on the true motives for the Iraq invasion. Pretty good so far, it manages to avoid moralising or indulgin in left wing rhetoric whilst remaining critical of the US's involvement in the middle east.

Before that I was reading John Birmingham's Axis of Time trilogy (Weapons of Choice, Designated Targets, Final Impact). For those who don't know, it's about a 21st century naval fleet who due to an experiment fucking up find themselves transported back in time to the 2nd World War. they're by the guy who wrote He died with a Felafel in his hand and they are pretty fucking awesome. Birmingham shows a great deal of technical knowledge and a flair for techno-thrillers on a par with Tom Clancy and Dale Brown yet manages to be cheekily subversive with minor characters and battleships named after pop-culture references. (eg. there's a a warship named after Peter Garrett, three soldiers named Clancy, Reilly and Cobb meet a quick demise in the opening stages, there are lyrical references to Nirvana and Faith No More and one of the principal characters is named after the creator of Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill)

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I have just finished reading "War Without Glory: Australians in the Air War With Japan 1941-45" by JD Balfe, which isn't as dry a read as the title suggests. It's basically a compilation of 2 Hudson pilot's personal memoirs along with those of the author. The book concentrates mostly on the failed defence of Malaya and Singapore and the retreat through the islands of what is now Indonesia to Australia, although covers the entire war in somewhat less detail

I'm currently reading "The Escape from Singapore" by Richard Gough which goes into a more detailed look at the title, but from a broader perspective.

Both books were from a job lot of 6 I bought at the library for the princely sum of 6 dollars! Both of these two have hand written footnotes pointing out innacuracies and adding detail wherever the unknown editor feels it worthwhile. Judging by the writing, I'd guess the same person is responsible for them in both books, and the language used indicates that whoever it was would be of an appropriate age to have had first hand experience with the topic!

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just asking what people are reading these days?
Me, im reading the shining by stephen king.
This thread was brought upon by boredome on a eventless sunday night.
That is a great book. I read it two years ago. I really should read some more books.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
havent been reading much recently, unfortunately..

in the past 3 months or so i have been confined to the following:

LAWS1000 Learning guide
LAWS1001 Learning guide
Tradition and Change in Australian Law - Patrick Parkinson
The New Law of Torts - Danuta Mendelson
Principles of Contract Law - Paterson et al
Contract, Cases and Materials - Paterson et al
Civil Liability Act 2003 (Qld)
Harriton v Stephens
Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co
Donoghue v Stevenson
and other various cases

yes, they are all as dry and horrible as each other. hopefully ill get some real reading done over the holidays...

Binaural

Eats Squid
Choke - Chuck Palahniuk (the guy who wrote fight club). Kinda interesting, but also a bit repellent. Uses a lot of the same tricks that fight club used too, including the surprise ending.

iWoz - Steve Wozniak (the engineer who designed the first couple of Apple computers). Really enjoyed this one, Wozniak sounds like my kind of guy. Worth the read if you want to find out where the real genius of the first Apple computers lay, i.e. not with Steve Jobs.

The ice man, confessions of a mafia contract killer - Phillip Carlo. Really intriguing in a sick kind of way. The book is about a serial killer come mafia hitman , who amongst other things fed some of his victims alive to rats and other horrible deeds. Interesting to read about someone with absolutely no conscience or empathy and get some understanding of how his mind worked.

A perfect mess - Eric Abrahmsom. A book on the hidden benefits of disorder. I'm just getting into this one but already useful insights are coming thick and fast. Not life changing, but definitely an enjoyable book that's making me take a different perspective on some things.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not much lately but I recommend Alexander McCaul-Smiths 'Precious Ramotswe/No. 1 ladies detective agency' series of books

Also most of Julian Barne's books.

zac

Likes Dirt
Hmm, lemme see...

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill - Very cool, he's a chip off the old block (Steven King's son)

The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks - Kind of wierd, not bad, but not real good either.

The Far Arena by Richard Ben Sapir - This is amazing - kind of far fetched (a Roman gladiator is frozen in the North Sea, revived 2000 years later), but damn good. in fact, all of his books are...

Weapons of choice (John Birmingham) was really cool, I've just got to read the other two.

The Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz - I really like these, they appeal to my sense of freakiness

Last edited:

rhyno

Likes Dirt
The Potato Factory - Bryce Courtenay (sp?)

Normally i blitz through books, but this ones taking me a while as i have very little time to read (or do anything really) these days. Heck, i watch one hour of tv a week.

Ska-quatch

Likes Dirt
The colour of magic - terry pratchett
Some Robin Hob series - the name eludes me
Black beauty by Spike Milligan

Too many books at the same time really, i keep ending up with a large horse with 200 legs fighting evil

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
'The Intruders' by Michael Marshall [Smith] - excellent read that starts off as a standard thriller but quickly dissolves into the realms of the supernatural! Highly recommend anything written by MMS, and he's got 2 distinct styles of writing - crime/thriller & sci-fi/thriller which are both chilling & humorous at the same time!