but on a slightly cheaper budget

you could buy a evs neck brace

any good mountain bike shop or moto shop that deals with cassons.com.au

can hook you up with an evs neckbrace for $300

cheers mate have a good one
sweet as thanks guys

NickM91

Likes Dirt
on the topic of neck braces, just got me wondering how common neck injuries are in DH? I see more and more people chosing to wear a neck brace without pads anywhere else..

Cheers

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Leatt Comp brace is around the 650 mark and the Carbon one is around 8-900. Exactly the same just different materials.

Boofa

Likes Bikes
Hey mate,

We here at Yarra Valley Cycles have Neck braces and send them all over the place.

They are as you can see becoming more and more popular at races, they have beaten the wank factor and are now considered an Item that should be used if you can afford to do so.
They don't impede your riding whatsoever and I have seen them be used as they are intended a couple of times now.
Our Yarra Valley Team all use it, and will have them at the upcoming Downhill Races at both Stromlo and Mt Buller, we will also have a full shop, well as much as we can fit, so if there is anything you guys want, let me know and I can bring it along for you.
The Leatt Braces are $799 and would recommend them over any others, however we have also tried and tested the Fro Braces and they too are pretty good for a cheaper option.
The Leatt Braces come in 2 size, most people are a regular Medium, even pretty big blokes will fit a medium, where as for the younger guys and gals you may need a small, if you consider yourself small framed or am younger than 15 your will most probably need a Small.

There has been some instances of Neck injury in Downhill, just like in many sports where you are pushing the limits, but this is simply a precautionary item that has been proven to save some people necks in the event that you come off awkward.

You can check em out here...http://www.yarravalleycycles.com/store/Leatt%20Brace/Index.php

For fitting or any other information feel free to Call Yarra Valley Cycles on (03) 9735 1483 and someone who wears a Leatt Brace can let you know what they think.

http://www.yarravalleycycles.com/

dhdave199

Likes Dirt
on the topic of neck braces, just got me wondering how common neck injuries are in DH? I see more and more people chosing to wear a neck brace without pads anywhere else..

Cheers

Its a simple choice - What would you rather break? Neck or wrist?

Dale_B

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, i got my knew Neck Brace today,

it was $660, and is a leatt brace moto gpx,

seems to hold my head in place nicely now its set up. and its light weight, so not to heavy on my shoulders.

cheers dale.

NickM91

Likes Dirt
Its a simple choice - What would you rather break? Neck or wrist?
Why do you reply in a way that suggest i'm putting them down. I'm just curious as to how common neck injuries are in riding. I would certainly prefer to snap a wrist than my neck anyday, don't get me wrong. I just find it a bit odd that riders will fork out quite a lot of money for a neck brace yet won't even wear things like knee pads or armour.

Howie66

Likes Dirt
They go around collar bone to yeah some of them?

I recently broke mine and il be looking for a little protection of it when i start again.. Could one of these be the way to go?

Jared #620

Likes Bikes
Why do you reply in a way that suggest i'm putting them down. I'm just curious as to how common neck injuries are in riding. I would certainly prefer to snap a wrist than my neck anyday, don't get me wrong. I just find it a bit odd that riders will fork out quite a lot of money for a neck brace yet won't even wear things like knee pads or armour.
Some people seem to think that armour is not needed because it restricts movement, but I have some huge ass gouges in the back plates on mine where it's saved me so I don't ride without my neck brace our my armour. It's all well and good to save your neck but what about your back I know I don't wanna break it either. So it's there own choice do you wanna be a paraplegic a quadriplegic or neither.

Az

Likes Dirt

I recently broke mine and il be looking for a little protection of it when i start again.. Could one of these be the way to go?
Most types of armour wont protect you from breaking your collar bone, as these injuries are rarely caused by a direct blow to that area.

ive just gotten a Leatt adventure Brace. its non adjustable but sits in the lowest point that the more expensive ones do so it good for riding.

570NZ.

its light and real comfy.

Beretta

Berettas Bikehub
The new Alpinestar brace is an awesome bit of kit, they're pretty light and easy to fit, I think from memeory they're about $800 for the carbon version. Anything Alpinestar is generally good quality and coming from a moto background you'd expect it to be good.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Nick, I find the same thing. $800 for a neck brace is a lot of money, yet spending $200 on armour is a waste. Each to their own.
As for do they work? And are neck injuries common in DH? Yes..and no.
The braces work a treat. They are designed to stop your neck from over stretching/breaking when your neck is being thrown about in a crash by restricting it's movement. As the helmet is heavy (ish), the forces on your neck are greatly increase in an accident, your neck is not designed to cope with the extra weight in these crashes.
Neck injuries are, from my experience, not that common. But would you risk being able to walk again? I know I wouldn't. I was just about to purchase one, was out testing/practising/training with a friend who was wearing one when I had a massive off. I was lucky to only break my femur in 2 places and not my neck.
Have a chat to anyone that wears them.....they all say the same thing, don't notice them when they're on. What I'd like to know is how they feel with Armour?

Last edited:

Dug

Likes Dirt
I recemtly got an EVS off the Thumper talk site for under $200 delivered. I looks ok and seem comfortable enough.. Took a while to get here though

unitec

Likes Dirt
Nick, Your question was spot on. I have been asking the same question for a while without any answers. It seems to me that most of the people wearing them are simply sheep following what everyone else is doing. (I guess that they think it looks cool)
The lack of answers to this most obvious question makes me guess that more people break their necks getting out of the bath that riding DH.
The thing that seems crazy to me is that many of the people going for neck braces are at the same time removing other armour.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I'd like to know is how they feel with Armour?
so would i. everyone i see that has one doesnt wear any other armour except the neck brace.
the leatt ADVenture brace sounds affordable but where can i go try one on ?

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt

I would also like to know if the neck brace protects you from shoulder impacts, not straight arm, as i just broke my collar bone into 4 pieces. otb, I was still holding onto the bars with my right hand and right shoulder drove into the ground and stopped, I however continued on.

As for armor I have some but feel to restricted, don't get me wrong if it didn't affect my riding so noticably i'd wear it. I still wear knee, elbow and will not ride anywhere without my full face. Learnt that the hard way as well, fractured cheak and eyesocket whilst wearing a scully.

not shore I'll get one but some more information would be great.
Thanks.