Neck Brace

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Would it be possible to incorporate a Neck brace into body armour? Say have a neck brace molded into the top of body armour?
Unless it was detachable, it wouldn't work. How do you get your pimpin jersey over the neckbrace?

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So brands like THE, Fox, Giro, 661 arent out there along with a host of smaller brands?
?
well, let me see. I have founf THE to be incredible uncomfortable, but they might work for some people. Fox and Giro and 661 are all a lot heavier, and often not great. Ive seen a lot of damaged giro remedys, with major damage from not a major crash, even though they are aus std approved.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive heard that some cheap braces snap where as others have a replaceable part that snaps on impact and can be easily/cheaply replaced... is this true?

Also, is there a chance that you run an increased risk of collar bone impact, as yes i realise that neck is worse than collar bone, just curious.

FYI. TBSM does not stock neck braces at all

Odis01

Cannon Fodder
Does ANYONE! no anyone that has ever broken their neck riding DH?
Yeah my friend had an epic crash on a 30 footer nearly 2 years ago in Toowoomba. Brand new boxxers on his bike and it sounded as if (I left about 30mins before the crash) the rebound pretty much died on the up ramp. He went over the bars face planted at a fair speed and slid for about 15m. He managed to walk out of the trail (through a loose rock garden with concussion without slipping over :eek: ) Once another friend got him home his mum took him straight to A&E. He walked through the door and they put a neck brace on him within 30secs and made him lay down.

The X-Rays said he had compressed a few vertebrae and fractured one high in his neck, and by the next day he was in the chopper on his way to brissi (he said the trip sucked cause his head was towards the front of the chopper (thus lower than the rest of his body when its moving) making blood run to his head, giving him a substantial headache after a 175km trip). They put a nice titanium plate in his neck and kept him there for a few weeks.

About 2 months later he had lost 20kgs (he was state level XC runner so he wasn't chubby to start with) and he was practically bed bound with no effective neck muscles and couldn't eat anything more than mush.

All turned out fine in the end he still mucks round with downhill a bit and eventually snapped the same boxxers on the same track a year ago! He still runs, rides and got a decent OP. He's incredably lucky the only real downside to the crash was losing 2 months of his life and now he gets neck pain when its really cold.

Oh yeah and a year before that he attempted something at the skate park and managed to incur a nice dental bill of about 20 grand by smashing a few teeth out and KO'ing himself on the coping on a quaterpipe early in the morning!

If he took anything out of the whole ordeal it would be make sure you're wearing a decent fullface (and possibly a neck brace these days) before going hardcore.

Really wish I had some pics of it all, I know he does but he's at uni is SA so i can't get them easily and I'm not sure if he'd want them up here....

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm.........it seems a few people do know someone who has had a neck injury, but, what are the stats of numbers during a DH race, say, Vs huckers doing stupid stunts on a DH trail.....I bet I know which way the stats lean.

Makes me wonder....neck braces came in for high speed sports, car racing first to stop whiplash in a prang, then MC racing, and there are different types of braces available, which restrict movement in different directions etc....

So exactly what is the thought on which movement these are supposed to restrict in a low speed DH stack (all DH is considered LOW SPEED in terms of vehicle racing).
And, they will not protect you FULLY anyway, when landing (spearing) head first into the dirt as you will still compact vertebrae and discs....

Id rather learn to brace and roll. And wear my pressure suit cause in all my years its been about protecting the spine. The marks on the sides of my helmets and back of the pressure suit prove that.

So, stats please on actual race injuries VS hucking, and details on exactly what a specific DH neck brace is, and will protect?

Otherwise, yes, im thinking its becoming what Lycra is to roadies...

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
Hmmm.........it seems a few people do know someone who has had a neck injury, but, what are the stats of numbers during a DH race, say, Vs huckers doing stupid stunts on a DH trail.....I bet I know which way the stats lean.

Makes me wonder....neck braces came in for high speed sports, car racing first to stop whiplash in a prang, then MC racing, and there are different types of braces available, which restrict movement in different directions etc....

So exactly what is the thought on which movement these are supposed to restrict in a low speed DH stack (all DH is considered LOW SPEED in terms of vehicle racing).
And, they will not protect you FULLY anyway, when landing (spearing) head first into the dirt as you will still compact vertebrae and discs....

Id rather learn to brace and roll. And wear my pressure suit cause in all my years its been about protecting the spine. The marks on the sides of my helmets and back of the pressure suit prove that.

So, stats please on actual race injuries VS hucking, and details on exactly what a specific DH neck brace is, and will protect?

Otherwise, yes, im thinking its becoming what Lycra is to roadies...
Look at the Leatt web site and it will explain everything you want.

A pressure suit wont stop neck injuries and you cant brace and roll on all crashes. Prevention is better than cure.

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FYI. TBSM does not stock neck braces at all
I'm pretty sure if you asked Nicely they could order one in.
Its simply just an enquiry !

I'll probly get in contact with them later on. My Mother has made the descition to buy Brother and I one after a mates almost Neck braking inscident over the weekend. Lucky he WAS wearing his Neckbrace.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does ANYONE! no anyone that has ever broken their neck riding DH?
Phat_tyres did his.
It happens, and they're worth looking into, but, I wear armour, and I dont think i need a neck brace, no one i ride with has one.

this is no excuse i know, but id rather have knees, shins, chest, back, shoulders, elbows and head than just head and neck.

[Z]

Likes Dirt
I have to get to get a neck brace now after quite a few close calls. Landing on my head and back and all that. Im just coming out of a broken collar bone and someone said that it increases the force put onto the collar bone? Can anyone confirm this? anyway.. does anybody body know where i could a leatt/fro neck brace? Preferably from a shop so i can fit it on etc
cheers, kris

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
neck braces takes away the lethal end of a impact and puts it through your collar bones instead of your neckk

would you rather break your neck or would you rather break collarbones

i know which one i would choose:eek:

x-ride

Cannon Fodder
Does some body know a good shop in Melbourne where I can try one neck brace before I have to buy it?

I had a crash last year and was luckly that had a big touring backpack what stoped my helmet from over stretching my neck! Otherwise I would properbly had a brocken one.

see the picture below ... a few days after the crash...

Attachments

Boofa

Likes Bikes
Does some body know a good shop in Melbourne where I can try one neck brace before I have to buy it?
Hey mate,
Yarra Valley Cycles in Lilydale have Neck braces in stock, The Leatt Braces, Alpine Stars and the Fro Braces.

We also send them everywhere in Aus, The Leatt is the most popular and the Adventure starts at $565 (including postage), there are 2 sizes, Small and medium. A small is recommended for small framed people usually under 16,and the Medium is for most others.

Give us a call on (03) 9735 1483 or check out http://www.yarravalleycycles.com/store/Leatt%20Brace/Index.php

Cheers

Ash

Hmm I have yet to use one but its all bout luck I reckon. I dislocated my neck shattering my first 3 vertibrays into my throat ending up with 2poles and 8screws holding my head on and I was out downhilling 4months later. Never had a problem since.

pak

Likes Bikes
Bought Leatt brace, one size for adults.Very happy with ajustability & comfort.Bought from Partsman on Ebay.Highly recommend....

flyracing

Likes Dirt
Unless it was detachable, it wouldn't work. How do you get your pimpin jersey over the neckbrace?
I wear a leatt brace and a pressure suit, works perfectly because the back of the brace slides under the spine protector and your jersery just goes over the top. can post a pic if anyone wants

[Z]

Likes Dirt
For the guys that have got a leatt brace or have know anything about it, are there any major differences between the adventure brace and the moto gp?
After looking at photos, ive been able to gather that the adventure seems to sit alot flatter, wheras the gp sits at a bit of an angle.
can anybody reccommend a place to get a cheap moto gp brace?
cheers, kris