Piercings

Ruan

Banned
I just pierced my eyebrow with a safety pin, what can I do to avoid infection, apart from not doing it in the first place? :p

Arete

Likes Dirt
I just pierced my eyebrow with a safety pin, what can I do to avoid infection, apart from not doing it in the first place? :p
Assuming you're serious:

Take it out. Now. The metal that safety pins are made of will corrode in a piercing. Not only is you know, rust inside your body a bad thing, combine boddily fluids with exfoliating rust and you have a bacterial wonderland that will inevitably become an infected mess.
Also, your average safety pin is too thin a guage for an eyebrow piercing, which means rejection is almost inevitable. Finally, if you did it yourself I'm willing to bet it was done too shallow, which also makes rejection inevitable. Your chances of healing it are slim to none.

Assuming you've ignored that: Get a curved 18ga barbell made of 316LVM stainless or titanium (that means from a piercer, not a shoopping centre discount store) in it ASAP to prevent corrosion issues and give it a wash using a mild antibacterial soap. Enjoy the scar it leaves behind as it migrates.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
Hey everyone.
I've wanted plugs for a long time and recently have decided that I am going to get it done in the next few months. I would like to get them around 8mm each in each ear.

I know there is the quicker way which involves getting your ears cut and the piercing inserted, but is there any downside to doing this? Also can anyone reccommend some good places in Sydney to get this done?

Cheers,
Dan.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Scalpelling has the downsides of being far more permanent and well, hurting.The risks associated with having someone with no formal qualifications going at your ear with a scalpel are also significant, and I've witnessed someone arterially bleeding as a result of a bad scalpelling job. From a piercer's perspective, using a scalpel is potentially classed as "practicing medicine without a license" and therefore a legal grey area and many won't do it.

As such, I'd only recommend Polymorph and Industrial Strength in Newtown for such a procedure and if your under 18, no chance.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
Scalpelling has the downsides of being far more permanent and well, hurting.The risks associated with having someone with no formal qualifications going at your ear with a scalpel are also significant, and I've witnessed someone arterially bleeding as a result of a bad scalpelling job. From a piercer's perspective, using a scalpel is potentially classed as "practicing medicine without a license" and therefore a legal grey area and many won't do it.

As such, I'd only recommend Polymorph and Industrial Strength in Newtown for such a procedure and if your under 18, no chance.
I'll just go for the convential way of stretching them then as even though I have my parents consent to do it, what you just said has put me off. Thanks for the advice.

Adrian Forrester

Likes Bikes
Dan,
With 6mm you could just get that pierced. When I started my left ear I got Polymorph in Newtown to do it. They just pierced me with a large needle and the 6mm jewellery just went straight in. Saves a hell of a lot of mucking around with getting bigger gauge jewellery every time you want to stretch it up.
It took me 7 months to get up to 27mm because I didn't want to spend heaps on jewellery.
Polymorph is in my opinion the best piercing place in Sydney. Rob and his brother are both very pro and have a massive choice of jewellery. Great after sales service and I have been going there for close to 16yrs.
82 Enmore Rd, Newtown 9519 8923
Give them a call,
A

|Matt|

Banned
I'm thinking of getting both my ears pierced, just the standard earlobe one, however, I quite often get swollen lymph nodes in my ear lobes. Is this a problem and should I not get it done because of my tendency to get the lymph nodes? Will the piercing make them hurt more than they already do? Will the piercing burst the lymph nodes?

I would also be interested in stretching them to maybe 10 or 12mm (but that will probably increase over time...haha).

I'm also thinking about getting my eyebrow done, and maybe an industrial ear piercing.
Anyone got any information at all?

Arete

Likes Dirt
Dan,
With 6mm you could just get that pierced. When I started my left ear I got Polymorph in Newtown to do it. They just pierced me with a large needle and the 6mm jewellery just went straight in. Saves a hell of a lot of mucking around with getting bigger gauge jewellery every time you want to stretch it up.
It took me 7 months to get up to 27mm because I didn't want to spend heaps on jewellery.
Polymorph is in my opinion the best piercing place in Sydney. Rob and his brother are both very pro and have a massive choice of jewellery. Great after sales service and I have been going there for close to 16yrs.
Give them a call,
A

Just to clarify - you will need a parent in person at either Polymorph or Industral Strength if underage. Written consent isn't enough.

The process as Adrian has *almost* described is what I'd recommend (the actual process is pierce with 4ga, immediately follow with 2ga taper, insert 2ga jewelry). The next size up from 2ga is 0ga or appoximately 8mm so it'd take 2 months or so of healing then another stretch.

Duncan is the former owner of Polymorph (after Being an employee, Rob Valenti bought it from him) and current owner of Industrial Strength, so both shops have a history of affiliation.

Plow King

Little bit.
Are you speaking from experience?
Just generally, granted there are some people that can actually pull them off, but most them are just wankers trying to fit into the croud, thus looking shit.

I,e. My brother got one to be 'cool' and he looks like a farkin twat.

-Troy-

Likes Dirt
Hey everyone.
I've wanted plugs for a long time and recently have decided that I am going to get it done in the next few months. I would like to get them around 8mm each in each ear.

I know there is the quicker way which involves getting your ears cut and the piercing inserted, but is there any downside to doing this? Also can anyone reccommend some good places in Sydney to get this done?

Cheers,
Dan.
It's stupid. Stretch properly. Check out this site - Link!

Dan,
Give them a call,
A
Do your lobes look like shit? Rushing stretchers is the worst idea ever.

Anyone got any information at all?
Check out Bodymod.org, they are very helpful.

Ruan

Banned
Assuming you're serious:

Take it out. Now. The metal that safety pins are made of will corrode in a piercing. Not only is you know, rust inside your body a bad thing, combine boddily fluids with exfoliating rust and you have a bacterial wonderland that will inevitably become an infected mess.
Also, your average safety pin is too thin a guage for an eyebrow piercing, which means rejection is almost inevitable. Finally, if you did it yourself I'm willing to bet it was done too shallow, which also makes rejection inevitable. Your chances of healing it are slim to none.

Assuming you've ignored that: Get a curved 18ga barbell made of 316LVM stainless or titanium (that means from a piercer, not a shoopping centre discount store) in it ASAP to prevent corrosion issues and give it a wash using a mild antibacterial soap. Enjoy the scar it leaves behind as it migrates.
I don't plan on keeping it in.

I didn't do it so I can have a piercing, I'm not sure why I did it.. tbh.

What I mean is, once I take it out, how can I avoid the cut getting infected?

punk_downhiller

Likes Dirt
Just to clarify - you will need a parent in person at either Polymorph or Industral Strength if underage. Written consent isn't enough.

The process as Adrian has *almost* described is what I'd recommend (the actual process is pierce with 4ga, immediately follow with 2ga taper, insert 2ga jewelry). The next size up from 2ga is 0ga or appoximately 8mm so it'd take 2 months or so of healing then another stretch.

Duncan is the former owner of Polymorph (after Being an employee, Rob Valenti bought it from him) and current owner of Industrial Strength, so both shops have a history of affiliation.
Just to add onto this if you want an alternative to immediate stretching.

I had mine pierced at 16g (1.2mm) then stretched up every two weeks from then (first 3mm, then 6mm, then 8mm) and this process also took approximately two months. So if you dont want to stretch straight after the first piercing (keep in mind stretching is very painful, especially the first stretch, so not the best idea to stretch straight after a piercing if you dont like pain) this method also works in just as much time.

Adrian Forrester

Likes Bikes
Do your lobes look like shit? Rushing stretchers is the worst idea ever.

Hey Troy,
My lobes are fine. 7 months is very slow when stretching the lobes.
I would of done it quicker but didn't want to spend heaps of $$$ on heaps of jewellery.
My wife tried to stretch hers too quick and one of hers tore a little. She went to Polymorph and some american dude scalpelled a small piece of flesh out to get the lobe sorted from the tear. Now it is fine.

So yeah rushing stretchers is the idea ever, but fixable!

A