Silly things that you used to believe when you first started riding

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could turn my 400 buck XC hardtail into a downhill bike with some pre turn of the century tripples.

My mates old GT Ruckus was a DH bike, because it had tripples.

The XC tracks we were doing were DH because some of it was down a hill.

We were cool.

framd0

Likes Dirt
triple chain ring xc bikes could be used for anything, they were awesome for dj, street,dh and all other riding
you were an awesome rider if you could huck of gutters or ride down stairs.
i thought riding down stairs, hucking gutters and riding fast around the carpark was street riding:eek::cool:

joe79

Likes Dirt
i originally bought SPDs because i wanted to learn how to bunnyhop/jump.
Consequently it took years to break my old habits and learn to unweight the bike properly with flats.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Likewise with a couple of other people in this thread, I thought that skids were always better with back-pedal brakes, and that frames were solid.
:cool:

tc2233

Likes Dirt
i thought that all bike with disk brakes were good.I also thought the more gears you had the better your bike was.
My dad thought you were meant to run your dh tyre pressures at 100 psi.
And when building jumps you build an upramp. Jump it to flat and figure out where to put the downramp (i did this with big jumps too).
A friend of mine think it is cool to where 5 10's everywhere. Even to 21st birthdays and to soccer training.

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
problems

chucking my bike at the ground when it wouldn't work made it better although i sometimes still do that i just know now it doesn't make it better:mad::p

Tomsy

Likes Dirt
When I bought a giant yukon and the bike shop guy said it was a good frame because it was "fluidformed" and I thought that meant the tubes where full of liquid.

flyracing

Likes Dirt
That chain tensioners stopped your chain falling off so you could run the bolts loose on your so you would have a little bit of suspension?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not so much when I first started riding, but I have been guilty of uttering the following over many years of riding:

I never fall on my head why are helmets now compulsory,
Suspension forks are only for soft downhillers with no skills,
Who needs 7 speed,
Who needs 8 speed,
Who needs 9 speed,
Real XC riders don't need full suspension,
Clip pedals are just an accident waiting to happen,
Steel is the best material for mountain bikes,
Air forks/shocks are unreliable,
Disc brakes are overkill,
Bar ends are useful,
1" of travel is heaps etc etc