Silly things that you used to believe when you first started riding

firstaid50

Likes Dirt
well for one he is highley unquallified but i tried it when i lost my spoke key i thought id give it a go tried to different shifters still did not work.

dw4dh

Likes Dirt
When i first started riding i was on some dodgey Bmx i used to think that dual suspension worked by your frame bending(I dont know why i thought this).

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
I used to think hosing the mud off your bike would make it last longer and perform better. After years of hosing muddy water into all my bearings and seals, I now clean with a rag, Mr Sheen and a dry bike. No water thankyou.

Andobrahh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When i first started riding i was on some dodgey Bmx i used to think that dual suspension worked by your frame bending(I dont know why i thought this).
haha funniest one yet, when I first started I thought 'Slazenger' (a crappy sports brand which did make a few bike then) was one of the best brands around and, like most, the more gears the better the bike.

Last edited:
haha funniest one yet, when I first started I thought 'Slazenger' (a crappy sprots brand which did make a few bike then) was one of the best brands around and, like most, the more gears the better the bike.
I was like that but with Huffy's. I actually wanted a Huffy for a birthday one year then I was told by my dad that they were K-Mart bikes. Best lesson I have learnt yet.

jackthewolverine

Likes Dirt
Well i used the think that "triples" were the part of the GT hardtail bikes where there was a third triangle in the frame. Oh how i have grown up.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I had no idea what "freeriding" was until about a year ago.
I thought a "hanger" was the bottom part of a derailleur only two weeks ago :p

shiredhr

Likes Bikes
a few years ago now... i picked up my sisters fuji fully rigid comfort bike, (consequently getting me into riding) and lo and behold a few k's from home i got a flat.

so i treked it to the petrol station and bought myself a puncture repair kit with all the right intentions, and proceeded to attempt patching the tire it'self:D blissfully unaware of the existance of an item called a 'tube':rolleyes:

30 minutes later after patching up what my friend and i beleived where the leaking 'holes' in the tire, we pumped and pumped and pumped to no avail:( i ended up walking home and getting my dad to take it to the bicycle store:p which resulted in the subsequent bemused looks of the emplyess when we rolled the bike in with a flat and about 5 patches (orange ones) stuck to the outside of the tire!:rolleyes:

oh and i truly did beleive my hardtail giant rincon xc with 10 cm stagey rst suspension was a capable downhill rig... its hard to beleive the stuff i used to do on that thing! if anyone is familiar with the tabletop at the thirroul downhill trail (redsands) i actually did it:D

*and i didnt die!

Last edited:

Little T

Likes Dirt
Putting your bike in an easier gear made it easier to push, especially when trying to get to get to the top of the mountain. Soon got over that one.

Staunch

Eats Squid
That was awesome. So I thought. Tempted to use it for a DH race just to liven things up. I also thought SpokeyDokey's were cool. Once again tempted.
Me and my mate found one each at the youies so we put them on for a laugh, they're turned out to be so freaking annoying he ripped his off and smashed it on the ground with his foot....every time you roll the wheel there's a "clunk" noise it drives you crazy :p
......saying that i've still got mine on :rolleyes::p

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought that all dualie riders were soft and that a hardtail was just as good and could go anywhere / do anything a dualie could.
Hmmm....Multiple crashes later and I have changed my mind. The number of places my hardtail has been when it shouldn't would make your eyes water.

Oh yeah... and that body armour would fully protect me from the multiple ejections from my hardtail.

Sam.

Eats Squid
To throw a spanner in the works, I'm pretty sure that there is a company out there that has a short travel xc bike with a shock that runs on the flex of the frame, no pivots. From memory, it might be Salsa?

timbo #48 STP

Likes Dirt
To throw a spanner in the works, I'm pretty sure that there is a company out there that has a short travel xc bike with a shock that runs on the flex of the frame, no pivots. From memory, it might be Salsa?
yer, it'd be sam that'd bring something like that into the thread wouldn't it. lol

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That you'd get the feeling of dual suspension's plushness by running a 2.4" tyre, on a hardtail. Those were the days..

willipa

Likes Dirt
First time downhilling on my 'dirt jump style' hardtail. Pumped the tyres over 50psi thinking it would help the sides of the tyres dig into the dirt. :rolleyes: