magpie research

DjRyde

Likes Dirt
Haha that is a classic.
And queit amazing that people believe those cable ties and stuff actually work

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quite a step to take your helmet off when being attacked... dunno whether I will try that. Very interesting seeing all the other methods not working... the magpie just seem to hate the helmet!

Be an interesting test to move a helmet without cyclist through an attack zone and see whether it goes for it.

Of course this only tested one magpie.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I think each bird is a little different. I got whacked sans helmet walking a bike through his turf. Walk with out a bike and your fine.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Haha that is a classic.
And queit amazing that people believe those cable ties and stuff actually work
they do. Maggie on my ride to work will slam you in the head, but th the cable ties it will only ever get close enough to hear them slap together as it approaches. Don't stop it swooping but better than getting hit in the head repeatedly!
Anyways I'm gunna buy a wig and glue it to my helmet. great experiment kids!!

Last edited:

cluster

Likes Dirt
I reckon that magpie would've been tired after those guys had finished testing out their ideas!:p

mitch58

Likes Dirt
I have found that even without a helmet on I still get swooped like when I am walking to my bus stop.But after school it's funny we sit out the front of our house and watch people sprinting down the street because three maggies are swooping them at once there coming from all angles.:D

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've found the best way to get rid of them, well, atleast make them less aggressive towards me, it's called a massive backhand punch to its head ... The magpie over the road from me decided to chase me down the hill, whilst i was riding away, i turnt around, had a swing at it, and actually got it :eek:

mitch58

Likes Dirt
Yeah I tried this and got a nasty cut on the back of my hand.It's not that bad when you get swooped from behind but when there going towards my face I crap myself.

Davo94

Likes Dirt
I've found the best way to get rid of them, well, atleast make them less aggressive towards me, it's called a massive backhand punch to its head ... The magpie over the road from me decided to chase me down the hill, whilst i was riding away, i turnt around, had a swing at it, and actually got it :eek:
What's the technique for this "massive backhand punch" I can't figure out how you do it?

scud

Likes Bikes
Not a solution but it keeps me amused! When they come to swoop I'll jump on the brakes so they are directly above me then I get on the gas as so I'm always directly underneath them. They can't dive straight down so they glide about until I'm out of their territory.... Although I question this will work for the really nuts ones!