Roads are for cars, not Lycra louts say SMH

unitec

Likes Dirt
an elephant in the room

Am I the only one that can see this? But Yes roads (and road rules) have been designed for cars and not bicycles. (I thought this was obvious) The design of roads & road rules don’t even suit motorcyclists very well so what hope do you think such a small user group such as cyclists have.
And the notion of a world where bicycles & cars can share the road on a equal footing is an absolute joke (no wonder there are so many of us getting killed).
Sure there is some bias in the article but I think someone has to address the obvious incompatibility between morons in cars & cyclists that insist on throwing them selves in front of them.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Unitec, I agree with most of what you're saying. The roads are very dangerous even when travelling in the safest of vehicles. I think It is up to the cyclist to make the correct judgement when riding on the road and that means doing the right thing. You can only hope that the person driving othe rvehicles around you is a responsible operator..................we all know that isn't usually the case though.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never heard of this chick before, but i did a quick google.

I found...

1) an article stating that Al Gore is a fraud, citing references solely from invested interests in coal mining, and because of his weight and what he wears.

2)

Im not going to read any more,
She is obviously retarded.

Bodin

GMBC
Sure there is some bias in the article but I think someone has to address the obvious incompatibility between morons in cars & cyclists that insist on throwing them selves in front of them.
Unitec, I agree with most of what you're saying.
Me too - I agree with all of the above, but still insist that there is only one way to solve the problem: EDUCATION.

Fact is, it's too easy for everyone (cyclists and motorists) to use the road and the fact that I've had my driver's license for 16 years and NEVER had to undergo ANY kind of retesting or examination in that time is stupid.

How the hell can it be assumed that I know the ins and outs of every single rule change in the last 16 years? Simple answer: I don't, and there must be MILLIONS of people just like me, including cyclists, bus drivers and the peripheral-vision-impaired footy mums in their Ford Explorers.

The whole system is fundamentally flawed and will only ever improve when people have to prove their ONGOING understanding and competency. As it is right now, you just scrape through your test and nobody ever bothers you again unless you severely f*** up.

Not good enough when people's lives are at risk when when knuckleheads like Miranda Devine get paid to comment on it.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Bodin, I've always thought the same thing: How do people who don't have the initiative to update their mental rule book avoid crashing or getting booked? I thihnk it should be mandatory to do a refresher on the rules each time you renew your licence. Not so much a test but an official hand out of rule changes over the last year. Educate the dummies! We aren't all perfect using the road but some go close.;)

niftydog

Likes Dirt
And the notion of a world where bicycles & cars can share the road on a equal footing is an absolute joke...
Seems to work quite well in plenty of European countries - particularly within the CBD's. Even the organised chaos of many Asian cities is more enlightened than the situation here. It all comes down to attitude in my book and Aussie motorists attitudes are utterly appalling - even towards other motorists!

Bodin

GMBC
It all comes down to attitude in my book and Aussie motorists attitudes are utterly appalling - even towards other motorists!
This is very true and, again, something that can only be addressed with education. Painting lines on roads and spending millions of dollars on advertising does not change attitudes. Only education - actually speaking to people face to face - has the power to change attitudes, especially ones that are so ingrained (i.e. I have "the right" to use the road...).

beardi

Likes Dirt
Miranda and Andrew Bolt should seriously hook up.......who knows they could even share a brain. They may be lacking common sense but at least they have their journalistic integrity!
I feel cheap and used for even reading past the headline....just glad i read it for free online.....

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
problem

most of us cyclists over 17(not me) i gather drive cars this is where the difference is i highly doubt that the bus driver mentioned goes for a ride every weekend there for has no consideration for them. i know when i get my drivers license i will slow down and avoid a cyclist so he does not get of balance and cause an accident and it is that simple obviously she has exaggerated the event as i am sure she is bias and is not a cyclist like us if the driver made such an effort to get out of the way why would the cyclist be so angry and go out of his way to cause this......sounds like a load of bullshit to me

my 2 cents maybe 3

wombat

Lives in a hole
Miranda and Andrew Bolt should seriously hook up.......who knows they could even share a brain. They may be lacking common sense but at least they have their journalistic integrity!
Fuck that! Can you imagine if they bred?!

I'd much rather propose a Devine V Bolt cage fight; no rules, right to the death.
Winner receives a pair of designer concrete shoes, and a holiday to the middle of bass strait?

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That article wasnt well written enough to get a rise out of me, cyclist had the road first if you want to get technical.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That article wasnt well written enough to get a rise out of me, cyclist had the road first if you want to get technical.
It quite true, with the bicycle being on of the first widespread modes of mass produced transport. Bikes around 1870s for the safety bicycle and the olds mobile 1901... One would think that she would also realise the key role the bicycle played in the emancipation of women in the industrial age...
One could go on...

But no... She is a "journalist" and she obviously knows better:rolleyes:

JP

Likes Dirt
Look, it's Miranda Devine FFS! She doesn't like anyone or anything.

She's the guy you work with who constantly grates you with their bullshit opinions about EVERYTHING, trying to get a reaction, until they do.

If every member of every group she's tried to piss off ignores her, she'd go away (hopefully).

I reckon she just needs a hug (cop a feel too if you want). Who's taking one for the team?

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Fuck that! Can you imagine if they bred?!

I'd much rather propose a Devine V Bolt cage fight; no rules, right to the death.
Winner receives a pair of designer concrete shoes, and a holiday to the middle of bass strait?
Put Devine and Bolt together and you have that objectionable turd that goes by the name of Piers Akerman!

Bodin

GMBC
It quite true, with the bicycle being on of the first widespread modes of mass produced transport. Bikes around 1870s for the safety bicycle and the olds mobile 1901... One would think that she would also realise the key role the bicycle played in the emancipation of women in the industrial age...
One could go on...
...and we wore onions on our belts, which was the fashion of the time...

TonyG

Likes Dirt
...and we wore onions on our belts, which was the fashion of the time...
Yes I remember now, and we all caught the bus over to Shelbyville. Back then there weren't any bike lanes so we just managed to avoid each other. But I digress, back to the onions on the belt.

Bodin

GMBC
Yes I remember now, and we all caught the bus over to Shelbyville. Back then there weren't any bike lanes so we just managed to avoid each other. But I digress, back to the onions on the belt.
Greatest BOT (back on topic) ever. LOL