The Photo Snob Thread

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
So, seeing as a whole boatload of us know each other, and have ridden together and shot each other and et cetera, and camera nerds always seem to do these "Photographic Meet-Ups", I propose we organise the first Rotorburn Photo Nerd Meetup. For the good of the community.

A couple of guidelines I thought of...

- It must be in Sydney. Because Sydney rules.
- Around the middle of December would be a good time as people are on holidays, and Leitch will be down here then too, and he's an integral member of the Rotorburn photographic community even though he doesn't actually use his camera...
- If you live in another city that isn't Sydney, you're still welcome to come. But i'm not paying for your transport or accommodation...
- If you're under 18, find a fake ID.

The rest can be decided later. :)

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
So, seeing as a whole boatload of us know each other, and have ridden together and shot each other and et cetera, and camera nerds always seem to do these "Photographic Meet-Ups", I propose we organise the first Rotorburn Photo Nerd Meetup. For the good of the community.
Sounds like a well thought out plan. I'd consider getting in on it if in town at the time

tre0001

Likes Dirt
Pfft. I resent this.

Melbourne boys, strap on a camera, we'll match them Sydz!!!
Or we could do one in melb and battle them for the best shot that was taken :D

EDIT: i read it as we'll meet them sydz :/

but yeah we should still battle them :p

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
.... Would like it to:
  • Be under US $400 (I'll be buying it when I get to the states in a few weeks)
  • Fit in my pocket
  • Have HD video
  • Preferably wide angle (28mm ish)
  • Not overly fussed about heaps of manual controls as long as its not ONLY full auto
  • Decent low light performance

..... Any suggestions?
Initially I was going for a Lumix LX3 because it does all that above and shoots in raw. It would still cost about $AUD700+ and is a bit bulky.

I ended up getting the new Canon IXUS120 IS : 28mm equivalent wide angle (28-112mm), f2.8 lens, 720HD video, ISO 80-1600, costs well within $US 400, slides into the pocket nicely.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Panasonic Lumix DMCZX1, Sony Cyber-Shot DSC/WX1, Canon Ixus 200IS?

Yeah size is a pretty big one for me. The reason for a compact is so I can fit it into my pocket otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose.

That said I'm looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1, the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC/WX1 and the Canon Ixus 200IS or similar. I've heard great things about the ixus range but both the Panasonic and the Sony seem like great options...

Last edited:

Lorday

Eats Squid
First time shooting. Film - iso400. Camera - Canon t70
Anyone know of a good 'shooting with a slr tutorial' site(s)?

And backyard flower shots just for Tristan.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
I like the sound of that.

A shot from today. After Callan posted his 24-105 lens i had a look in the cupboard to see what Dad had, lo and behold, a 24-105. Took it out today and gave it a whirl.

All natural light. Unfortunately haven't got use of my laptop w/ photoshop & Aperture so this is straight off the camera.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
First time playing with my 15mm fisheye too.
Don't quite like the shots but it's a pretty sharp lens.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I like the sound of that.

A shot from today. After Callan posted his 24-105 lens i had a look in the cupboard to see what Dad had, lo and behold, a 24-105. Took it out today and gave it a whirl.

All natural light. Unfortunately haven't got use of my laptop w/ photoshop & Aperture so this is straight off the camera.

**snip**
Thoughts?

EDIT:
First time playing with my 15mm fisheye too.
Don't quite like the shots but it's a pretty sharp lens.
**snip**
All great shots Gluey! The 24 - 105 looks great!

wombat

Lives in a hole
what i've been working on for the last month:

series is titled 'On Strong Foundations'
Skivi, is that title meant to be a bit ironic?

I do like the images, but to me they're pretty creepy captures; I'd call them 'Manufacturing Content'. Or "Chazwazza".:p