'Racist' KFC cricket ad causes uproar in US

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Apart from being a stupid ad, I think Americans are just being too sensitive, and maybe jumping at the idea to claim someone ELSE is racist for once..

Knopey

Likes Dirt
It's a storm in a teacup. Tempest in a teapot. Much ado about nothing. Making mountain out of a molehill.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I think more harm is done by people making an issue out of it. I think it appeared innocent, but maybe the chicken joke is more obvious to Americans.
More fuss should be made about the arseholes who write the lines for black people bagging out or playing out the black stereo types in movies, or racism itself depicted in movies, making it seem normal, and black people being made to act racist even in a comical way, it just fans the flames. that to me is racism. I hope I expressed that clearly. I'll edit this when I've slept, I was up all night.:confused:

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats so dumb i wouldn't even of thought it to be in the slightest bit racist if i had watched it without reading the column first, really as a 15 yearold boy all i see is grown adults acting like school children......... taking something as stupid as this and turning it into a very serious debate once again about racism. my question is when are people going to stop thinking all white people are out to get all black people, at the moment in my eyes we are more than equal when it comes to what color you are. IMO this is not a stupid "viral prank" cause if it was it would be alot worse than this........
my 2.544467 cents

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd wager the 'racist' element occurred completely innocently.
Clearly, the idea was that the ad's lead character use KFC to distract the opposition they found themselves seated amongst (been to the footy, happens quite often...)
Given that we don't have the history the US does, this probably wasn't even considered remotely racist by those involved.
Much the same as the Hey Hey incident.
Bad judgement, given the guest, but just not thought about as racist (outside of the country with the history).
And, yes, I know Australia has both it's own racist history and current issues with race and culture, but not everything is intentionally racist in motivation.
This was just a silly ad those with a political agenda decided to hijack for their own agenda.
It really wasn't necessary. No-one suffered.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Anyone who complains that this add is racist is in fact a racist for believing in the stereotype. In fact, by drawing attention to it you are perpetuating the myth, which is even worse than just privately harbouring racist tendencies.

Besides all of that, the crowd were supposed to be West Indians! Though to be fair I wouldn't expect any numb-skulled, self-righteous Yankie to be able to tell the difference.

It's clear to me that it's "Aussie Mick" who is the one who feels threatened when surrounded by West Indians, so perhaps there ARE some racist overtones in the add after all.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The question I ask is when did Americans start watching the cricket? Thought it would require too long an attention span for them.

Possibly the most outrageous interpretation of that ad.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
The question I ask is when did Americans start watching the cricket?
They didn't - if you read the article you'll discover it was posted online without permission, and that's when all hell broke loose.

Like Harry Conick Jr. said, they've spent decades trying to make black people "not look like buffoons"; thereby implying that they ARE buffoons. Lucky for him every American is a buffoon and nobody picked up on it.

Nabdaddy

Likes Dirt
What bullsh!t...

nuff said.

But seriously, as if you could take that ad as being racist, there are no racist comments at all. I'm fairly sure like 99% of the world would feel "awkward" in that situation. Crock of shit.

thatguy

Likes Dirt
oh come on...Until now i hadn't realised and frankly i think the Americans are being racist for pointing out the unintended racism in the ad

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oh come on...Until now i hadn't realised and frankly i think the Americans are being racist for pointing out the unintended racism in the ad
Yeah....because they are still racist. Haha.

They didn't - if you read the article you'll discover it was posted online without permission, and that's when all hell broke loose.
I did read the article. Missed that point due to the inherent stupidity of the situation.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Occy ate fried chicken evry day for years during his early 90's depression. Ate so much he got fat and forgot how to surf. Clearly he's not black. Because we all know black people can't surf. Oh but hang on, then he came back and actually won a world title? So he mustn't be black then! cos we all know black people can't surf.
Pull your head in America, you are infinately more ridiculous than my comments here..

dh_midget

Squid
racist kfc add

:cool:well i totally agree that the americans are way to sensitive. but seriously they saved our ass in world war 2. give em a bit o' respect guys. i'm not a big fan of the yanks but i like there gals!!!!

Joy

Likes Dirt
:cool:well i totally agree that the americans are way to sensitive. but seriously they saved our ass in world war 2. give em a bit o' respect guys. i'm not a big fan of the yanks but i like there gals!!!!
Worst. post. ever