Dirt Works NSW 100K 2010

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
No way. The entrance to the National Park where the drink station was in previous years is only about 50m above the road at the bottom (85m alt.) The climb tops out 13k later at 311m alt.
yeah, i agree, i guess we're just defining the "climb" differently... perhaps my fatigued mind was playing tricks on me at the time...

butlerhr

Likes Bikes
To the guy who gave me his pump, thanks (#5 hundred & I can't remember)....

To the guy who gave me #10 his pump, thanks. Plate number was #5 hundred & I can't remember....
I hope you got the pump back, but if you didn't please drop me a line and I'll post you a cheque. Also thanks to the guys who threw me some gas bulbs. In the end my XX rear changer failed! DNF'd.

Scott

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hands up those who got a black wristband. *puts hand in the air*

Bridge was pretty good this year, despite a few people taking a dive in front of me!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Results anyone?
Peter Hatton beat Craig Gordon in a "photo finish". Both logged a time of 3:57:46, IIRC.

Wish I was there to see it, but as I was halfway through the 100km myself, that wasn't going to happen. Me & all my mates successfully rode the canoe bridge :)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
*puts hand up too* but lots of people fell off the bridge :D it was about one in three or even more like 2 in every 5 when I was refilling water they got a special blue wrist band I think. Good thing is was warm - I think they dried out on the climb.

Great event, five star organisation (except maybe more toilets would be good!) not much in the show bag but instead there was electronic timing :D, well stocked drinks stations with food and fluids :D, well marshalled and well signed course (big thanks to the local volunteers incl the fire brigade) :D and even a beer at the end :cool: .... much rather all those practical things than trinkets in the bag.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Me likey crazy-balls to the wall-wheels in the air-rockgarden descents!!!

Also, eating GU and rockgardens don't mix... was very lucky to avoid a nasty stack there

I was greatful for having a sturdy bike with plenty of suspension to soak up the hits - I wouldn't have wanted to be on a HT, let alone a rigid... my style of descending just isn't compatible:D

Also, climbing was fun!!!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yep - those who did the race on SS &/or HTs are insane. And wonderful, at the same time. Just not for me!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say the only thing that was slightly disappointing was (I can only speak for group one) a whole bunch of people went out too hard on the road section and ended up getting off to walk up from the second pitch of the first climb (at the 10k mark) It meant the people who had taken a slightly more conservative pace on the road (i.e. acknowledging that the difference between a 5 hour time and a 6 hour time was not decided on the road) didn't get a clean shot at that hill. I made it to the fourth pitch of the climbing dodging my way through the crowd before the guy in front of me ran into a wall of people walking their bikes (cue domino effect all the way down the line of people still riding)

TBH I'm not sure what the solution is - perhaps introduce something like the Nasty Nurse Prolouge which is used for seeding riders into start groups at the Angry Doctor - or have a box on the entry form where riders who have done an XCM or XCE race before record a notable result i.e. "I did 5:45 at the Angry Doctor" [put this person in G1 or 2 depending on the level of entrants in a given year] or "I finished in the pointy end of a 24 solo" [probably a g1 rider] or "I did 7:50 at Aust Marathon Champs" [probably a g3 rider] and then the organisers can asign a start group rather than doing the self-seeding thing

Anyhow, these aren't criticisms its just the only niggle I found in an otherwise flawlessy organised and exectued race... I'll definately be back next year!:D:D:D:D:D

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Did anyone manage to get a total altitude gain on one of their fany gps thingys?
1361m.

Not very much - it just feels tougher coz it comes at the end!

Great race and organisation, I had a blast.
My mrs had a crash and was well looked after too by both racers and mashalls....
Thanks all.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
TBH I'm not sure what the solution is
Maybe not worry about it too much? If it is that much of a concern, get on the front group, learn to draft the fast guys down the road and you won't have too much traffic on the climb.

Anyway, it is still a better start to the course than some other enduros - at least everyone can keep moving.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm, more like 2km according to my Garmin.
1361m.

Not very much - it just feels tougher coz it comes at the end!

Great race and organisation, I had a blast.
My mrs had a crash and was well looked after too by both racers and mashalls....
Thanks all.
it's somewhere around 1100m.
Did anyone manage to get a total altitude gain on one of their fany gps thingys?

edit: nvm found it http://www.maxadventure.com.au/100kmclassic/nsw/the-course.html
According to the race organisers its slightly sub 2km

the diparity between various GPS devices is concerning to say the least... were you all doing the 100?

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
I'd say the only thing that was slightly disappointing was (I can only speak for group one) a whole bunch of people went out too hard on the road section and ended up getting off to walk up from the second pitch of the first climb (at the 10k mark) It meant the people who had taken a slightly more conservative pace on the road (i.e. acknowledging that the difference between a 5 hour time and a 6 hour time was not decided on the road) didn't get a clean shot at that hill. I made it to the fourth pitch of the climbing dodging my way through the crowd before the guy in front of me ran into a wall of people walking their bikes (cue domino effect all the way down the line of people still riding)

TBH I'm not sure what the solution is - perhaps introduce something like the Nasty Nurse Prolouge which is used for seeding riders into start groups at the Angry Doctor - or have a box on the entry form where riders who have done an XCM or XCE race before record a notable result i.e. "I did 5:45 at the Angry Doctor" [put this person in G1 or 2 depending on the level of entrants in a given year] or "I finished in the pointy end of a 24 solo" [probably a g1 rider] or "I did 7:50 at Aust Marathon Champs" [probably a g3 rider] and then the organisers can asign a start group rather than doing the self-seeding thing

Anyhow, these aren't criticisms its just the only niggle I found in an otherwise flawlessy organised and exectued race... I'll definately be back next year!:D:D:D:D:D
There are plenty of things that can cause riders to get off and walk resulting in the domino effect you talk of - not just running out of puff. It's pretty easy to lose grip, go off line, miss a gear, hit a rut, touch a wheel etc, etc... all resulting in a halt in progress. The only real solution is to make sure you're at the front when you hit the climb so next year don't hold back :)

nayto

Likes Bikes
I'd say the only thing that was slightly disappointing was (I can only speak for group one) a whole bunch of people went out too hard on the road section and ended up getting off to walk up from the second pitch of the first climb (at the 10k mark) It meant the people who had taken a slightly more conservative pace on the road (i.e. acknowledging that the difference between a 5 hour time and a 6 hour time was not decided on the road) didn't get a clean shot at that hill.

Id say thats all part of racing mate, your not the only one trying to have a go out on the track.