NSW Mt Keira - general track maintanence and changes discussion.

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
Can't ride for a little but apperantly a guy was yelling at Matt Bezzina for riding on the tracks saying its ilgell and shit. So that may have been the guy. Pretty devo, how bad is it?

jacks

Likes Bikes
You could fix it in one arvo. Yer that guy must have called the rangers cause when I was riding off they came down the road to the bottom of the track

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Pretty dangerous really. I came in to there ready to hit the barrel and realised just in time luckily. I would assume it was the rangers. I got pulled up by a National Parks ranger just after the big step down section. He jumped out of the bushes and flagged me down (should have hit the booter and jumped over him, sigh....). He said I was riding in National Parks (I thought that part was Bluescope/BHP but anyway). He said I wasn't allowed to be riding in their because it is National Parks and I said I didn't know (playing dumb). He said 'you should always know who's land you are riding on'. He was pretty forceful. Anyway, he wanted my details so I made up some bogus name (glad he didn't get me to repeat it as I would have forgotten what I just said) and told me not to ride their again.

There seems to be a bit of NP action going on at the moment. They were up at Oxford Falls XC last week warning people (an initiative with Nobmob I beleive).

tom92

Likes Dirt
it was national parks..... we heard that they were up near the tracks telling people of and trying to stop people riding
we went down at like 3ish and the barrel jump was gone....barrels pushed out and creates stacked against the tree (fair dangerous cos you dont see the jump till last minute)
didnt notice anything else...but i reckon national parks will begin to attempt to shut the tracks down...
have to wait and see what happens.

norco_rider_7

Likes Dirt
yer me n my mates were going up for some shuttles today, and when we got to the top a ranger pulled in behind us and told us to go home or get off this land because its illegal and he said that corrimal police station supports them in keeping bike riders off this land, then he said if we catch anyone up here again they will be getting fined, so we left and then went back up 10mins later n there were three rangers sitting at the hairpin.

Red.

Likes Dirt
Damm i missed all the fun. Sorry to hear about all the stuff that has been done, Thats the good thing about possums we made friands with the owner. if yous post up when you are doing track work i might come out and give a hand or 2.

If that was being yelled at by the the rangers i would be like "catch me if you can!" nar jokes i would get the water works going.

sslam60

limited brainpower
yer me n my mates were going up for some shuttles today, and when we got to the top a ranger pulled in behind us and told us to go home or get off this land because its illegal and he said that corrimal police station supports them in keeping bike riders off this land, then he said if we catch anyone up here again they will be getting fined, so we left and then went back up 10mins later n there were three rangers sitting at the hairpin.
Haha, Corrimal Police don't give a rats ass who rides up there. sadly, they have to do their job.

Do we think this is gonna last? or is it just a little attack to scare us away?

dh1

Likes Dirt
Was doing shuttles with a mate this arvo down uni track.
He said there were 3 moto cops sitting on the fire trail near the entrance to the walking track.
The chased him but he lost them once he hit the track.

After that we called it a day. This was about 4pm, we were shuttling before 3 but didnt see any rangers at the hairpin

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Shit like this has gone down plenty of times, all I can say is that of all things to be concerned about, why this?
From the sealed road (middle road between Holy 1 and Greg's, Huckers etc.) is Bluescope land, so they can't do anything about it.
Remember, don't give away unneccessary info and only answer questions if asked, no use spurting out false info if it isn't called for.

I will be up there tomorrow, and if I see them, I'm going to have a good talking to them about the land, the owners of it, what there object is, who has assigned them the task, and hopefuly we can all get some answers.
I think we all have a right to know every single one of those questions, considering they are workers for the government, and in turn are public servants, therefore it's EVERYONE's bussiness.

Last edited:

sslam60

limited brainpower
Shit like this has gone down plenty of times, all I can say is that of all things to be concerned about, why this?
From the sealed road (middle road between Holy 1 and Greg's, Huckers etc.) is Bluescope land, so they can't do anything about it.
Remember, don't give away unneccessary info and only answer questions if asked, no use spurting out false info if it isn't called for.

I will be up there tomorrow, and if I see them, I'm going to have a good talking to them about the land, the owners of it, what there object is, who has assigned them the task, and hopefuly we can all get some answers.
I think we all have a right to know every single one of those questions, considering they are workers for the government, and in turn are public servants, therefore it's EVERYONE's bussiness.
Yeah, sounds good. Do you think Bluescope could help us out here, in anyway?

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Yeah, sounds good. Do you think Bluescope could help us out here, in anyway?
  1. They wouldn't give a damn about the MTB community.
  2. There are SO many safety hazards on their lang up at Mt Keira that we are riding on, that if they knew about us accessing it, they would fence it.
  3. Chances are they already know of the tracks anyway, I'm sure they do, as I've seen security up at the gate before.
  4. A multi-national corporation isn't going to be concerned about a plea to ride bikes illegaly on their land.
  5. The only reason they MAY perhaps be concerned is of risk of people tresspassing on their land and getting injured (those metal stakes, infaact any form of crach).
That's just a few points as to why they wouldn't give a toss.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Apparently, a mate of a mate got fined for riding up their today.
This is beyond I joke, and I am most certainly going to have a nice chat with these people.

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
Apparently, a mate of a mate got fined for riding up their today.
This is beyond I joke, and I am most certainly going to have a nice chat with these people.
If they pulled me over I would keep riding, cause I'm certainly not stopping by myself. Give me a pm if you guys want a secret way to get out of the bottom of Keira if they are at the exit of the track. Still why are they trying to stop it now, why couldn't they do it when the tracks where being built, what a joke.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
OK, I'm moving up to the Gong in December, permanently.
Looking for trails and or clubs etc, stumbled across this thread and it seems like there's not much up there that is actually legal unless you head down to Nowra.

Down here in Hobart there has been lots of advocacy towards MTB trails and we now have a rippin park and also some awesome trails around Mt. Wellington. Thanks to clubs, and the council seeing the pro's of building sustainable trails.

Is anyone in the Gong really (and I mean seriously) pushing hard and professionally to THE RIGHT PEOPLE to gain access and building permission to create something sustainable on Keira?

I'm not talking about penning a letter to the Mercury, but getting some specifically targeted and well researched plans together with the backing of the general public?

please excuse my ignorance here, I know there is a lot going on that I'm probably unaware of.
When I am up there in December I am willing to help out any cause that may get the ball rolling. I can't do much on my own but if there is a cause, I'd like to help.

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
i was up there today and there were 3 or 4 national park rangers at the rock jump after the step down. wen i got there, there was a few crowd already but they where saying no riding fines and shit.
And very stubborn about not even looking at options about coming to a compromise.
spoke to some head honcho and he was a massive jerk.

i cant see then actually making a difference tho, so many people ride that track all the time that it will take so long before they can completely stop ppl riding.

its annoying to see them but im not really worried because if they did shut it down tracks will spring up again before they can blink.

kezza.