Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Or anyone whos has the 29 Anthem is that a 7 inch Front rotor ? I am a little anouyed that I still have to wait 8 weeks and you just walk up and buy one of the self !!!!!!
Yeah, i'm still not 100% sure on how that can happen either!!

Right - first ride report.. 22kms out and back firetrail with about 100m of singletrack. Just a nice easy ride to get the feel of the bike. I'm still very much in the setup phase, and to be honest, i need to do a lot more :)

Bear in mind that I'm coming from a relatively basic 26 inch hardtail so I've doubly made the move to dual suspension and 29 inch wheels at the same time.

I can totally understand why people talk about the weight in the wheels and gaining momentum. It's certainly a significant difference coming from a 26er. I'm currently running stock - crossmarks 2.1 front and rear, tubes, running 30 psi pressure. I didn't realise how much of a difference it would make to be honest - I'm a little iffy on having a crossmark up front. I run it on the back on my 26er and it's nice, but I definitely need something with a tad more bite up front - will investigate accordingly. I'm also going to play around with PSIs a bit more, and potentially bring forward my order for a new wheelset.

Riding along flats/slight uphills were nice - once I got going. I'm going to need to learn to carry more momentum into uphill sections I think. Having said that, I cleared two sections on the track which had previously given me traction/front wheel lifting problems - not impossible, but hard to do - easily today. The back wheel just seems to stick to the ground. The front was incredibly easy to keep down (a benefit of moving to a more XC geometry too).

I rode about 100ms of singletrack without anything too technical. I'm going to need to learn to keep a bit more weight over the front wheel i think. It'll take some practice, but I don't think the tight stuff is going to be too much of an issue.

Downhills - lol. Just, lol. The bike feels so incredibly stable and quick to respond. A slight nudge, and I can change the line quickly. I totally get why people call 29ers steamrollers now. It also made water bars a whollllllle lot more interesting. I'm going to need a parachute on my next ride i think!

What also became clear is that i'm nowhere near setup right. I'm currently running my seatpost about 1.5cms higher than on my 26er (I initially started with the same height, but changed it mid ride to great effect). Having said that, my seat position is clearly out - I wasn't able to get that good circular rhythm going on the flat/slight incline/decline sections. My calf muscles were engaging significantly more than my quads/hamstrings. It's something I'm going to have to play around with.

I was focusing mostly on the shock in terms of suspension today. I had started at 150psi but increased it slightly to about 160psi. I'm around 90kgs all kitted up. Has anyone got a good fox suspension setup guide? I'm still a little uncertain on the propedal settings and will probably need guidance on the fork once I give it more attention.

Bar width i'm still a little unsure about. The added width was nice for stability, but it really is wide. I was completely wrong about the brake levers (see previous post) - they're great while actually riding. I might need to move my shifters out towards the grips a bit as I missed one or two shifts because of the gap. I'm not entirely convinced by the saddle either. I'm used to a slightly wider saddle with more flex. I'm going to give the new one a bit more time in the saddle (geddit?) before doing anything drastic. It's clearly not setup correctly either just yet.

Overall, the ride was fantastic - the bike is amazing. I had felt like i'd hit the limits of my old bike, so the new 29er feels like one i can grow into if you will. I'm looking forward to getting it setup properly and putting in some major distances.

The ONLY real negative thing about the bike happened mid-ride. Making my way up a hill, the sun shone on me at such an exact angle, that the bike's top-tube reflected directly into my eyes, temporarily blinding me. Quite the shock :cool:

Bodin

GMBC
Great write up...

Here's my 2 cents:

Get rid of the choss-marks asap. They were apparently "developed by World Champion Christoph Sauser"... BEFORE he became World Champion on S-Works (Specialized) tyres. I just spent $160 on a pair of S-Works Renegades, which sounds expensive, but when you understand that they are under a kilo for the pair (yes, only 480 grams EACH :eek::eek::eek:), have significantly better grip than the skid-marks and are a proper tubeless-compatible tyre (they inflate without ANY sealant), they are BY FAR the best bang-for-buck upgrade you can get for your bike. It will be transformed.

Seat height is simpler than most people realise - with your pedal at its lowest point in the rotation, your foot totally flat and your HEEL on the pedal, your leg should be completely straight. That way, when you move the ball of your foot back on the the pedal, you'll get the natural bend that you need to avoid knee injury, but you'll have enough extension to ensure good power.

Fore/aft adjustment of the saddle tends to depend on your shin/thigh ratio. Long thighs, move the saddle forward. Long shins, move the saddle back. Not sure? Start in the middle of the rails and don't move it unless you know you actually need to. Or you could just go to a bike shop and get them to fit you properly, which is another great and often ignored "bang-for-buck" upgrade that always pays dividends.

Yes, ride the front of this bike religiously. A tapered headtube, 15mm thru-axle and quality Fox internals means it's the strong point of the bike. And that's not taking anything away from the very successful Maestro rear suspension. But with a front end that accurate, you can just bury it in things and survive with flying colours. I basically ride my XTC 29er like a DH bike. I feel sorry for the wheels. Just wait 'till I've got 4 inches in my rear... let me re-phrase that. :eek:

Anyway, all jokes aside, avoid upgrades that don't absolutely guarantee to improve the bike and 100% of the time, ride it like you stole it.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Here's my 2 cents:

Get rid of the choss-marks asap. They were apparently "developed by World Champion Christoph Sauser"... BEFORE he became World Champion on S-Works (Specialized) tyres. I just spent $160 on a pair of S-Works Renegades, which sounds expensive, but when you understand that they are under a kilo for the pair (yes, only 480 grams EACH :eek::eek::eek:), have significantly better grip than the skid-marks and are a proper tubeless-compatible tyre (they inflate without ANY sealant), they are BY FAR the best bang-for-buck upgrade you can get for your bike. It will be transformed.

Seat height is simpler than most people realise - with your pedal at its lowest point in the rotation, your foot totally flat and your HEEL on the pedal, your leg should be completely straight. That way, when you move the ball of your foot back on the the pedal, you'll get the natural bend that you need to avoid knee injury, but you'll have enough extension to ensure good power.

Fore/aft adjustment of the saddle tends to depend on your shin/thigh ratio. Long thighs, move the saddle forward. Long shins, move the saddle back. Not sure? Start in the middle of the rails and don't move it unless you know you actually need to. Or you could just go to a bike shop and get them to fit you properly, which is another great and often ignored "bang-for-buck" upgrade that always pays dividends.

Yes, ride the front of this bike religiously. A tapered headtube, 15mm thru-axle and quality Fox internals means it's the strong point of the bike. And that's not taking anything away from the very successful Maestro rear suspension. But with a front end that accurate, you can just bury it in things and survive with flying colours. I basically ride my XTC 29er like a DH bike. I feel sorry for the wheels. Just wait 'till I've got 4 inches in my rear... let me re-phrase that. :eek:

Anyway, all jokes aside, avoid upgrades that don't absolutely guarantee to improve the bike and 100% of the time, ride it like you stole it.
Thanks for the tips - i've been keeping an eye on your specialized tire thread. I think the seat height issue also has to do with the fore/aft position of the saddle though right? Further back = slightly lower, further forward = slightly higher. I think what's happened is that i've measured bb to seat rails on my old bike and then used it for the 29er without realising that the seat on the 29er is slightly further forward. I'm not sure whether that would be a significant difference, but something i'll keep an eye on!

I'm still not sure what to do about this reflection thing either.. it really was very, very, very bright haha

time to buy some sunglasses i think :cool:

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Well, it's finally happened... I've got myself an Anthem 29er :D

(apologies for the shoddy pics - more to come when the weather clears up a bit and I get out on the track!)

Massive shout out to Krisko who spotted one down in Canberra and managed to get it put on hold for me. It was a massive day of driving, but well worth it.. setting it up over a few beers last night was fantastic! The thing just looks sexy.. I can't wait to get it out and ride..

I'm not entirely convinced by the width of the bar.. a quick carpark ride is all i've got to go on so far though. I'm also not 100% on the brakes/levers.. i'll give them a proper workout on the trail and see how i go, but i might investigate some stratline levers. I've only really used shimano brakes before, and they've got a nicely kinked lever for one finger braking.

Modifications so far:
Swapped lock on grips for ozriders foam

Thanks to all for the support network - I promise to stop complaining now!!!
I guess that means you brushed your shop?

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I guess that means you brushed your shop?
Yeah - and i have to admit that i'm bitterly disappointed by it. I'd viewed this purchase as a way to start a good relationship with an lbs, which to be honest as done everything right by me in this debacle. At the end of the day I had to make a tough decision - go for the bike now after several months of waiting, or stick with my lbs and wait a few more months.

To be honest, I'm more angry with Giant than anything else.. the current situation of having bikes on shop floors in some lbs, and then having people still on waiting lists is despicable in my mind. I've worked as a consultant for many manufacturers (not in the bike industry) to improve operations that have often included warranty and recall management, so i've got a pretty good idea on best practice - Giant's performance has been woeful. At best.

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Shop Floor Stock !!!

Yeah - and i have to admit that i'm bitterly disappointed by it. I'd viewed this purchase as a way to start a good relationship with an lbs, which to be honest as done everything right by me in this debacle. At the end of the day I had to make a tough decision - go for the bike now after several months of waiting, or stick with my lbs and wait a few more months.

To be honest, I'm more angry with Giant than anything else.. the current situation of having bikes on shop floors in some lbs, and then having people still on waiting lists is despicable in my mind. I've worked as a consultant for many manufacturers (not in the bike industry) to improve operations that have often included warranty and recall management, so i've got a pretty good idea on best practice - Giant's performance has been woeful. At best.
I Second That !!!!

Ps How have you guy's adapted to the larger wheels, Did you change the gearing to suit you or not ? Do you think you or myself would need to change the gearing to compensate for the swap from 26 inch to 29 inch ???
I recently rode a 29er hardtail and the gearing was changed to be more comparable to a 26 inch ratio is this really required ? Considering the Anthem runs the new 10 speed ?

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Ps How have you guy's adapted to the larger wheels, Did you change the gearing to suit you or not ? Do you think you or myself would need to change the gearing to compensate for the swap from 26 inch to 29 inch ???
I recently rode a 29er hardtail and the gearing was changed to be more comparable to a 26 inch ratio is this really required ? Considering the Anthem runs the new 10 speed ?
Ah, so this was an interesting area for me yesterday. I'd meant to include it in my original write up.

I found the gearing very different to the standard 9 speed on my old bike. I ended up using a wider spread of gears out back - bigger to get the big wheels rolling, smaller once up to speed. There were quite a few moments where I'd just been shifting based on cadence (not measured, but my feel) and suddenly realised upon a slight incline that it was suddenly quite hard to push - I'd look down and more often than not, i was in a smaller gear than I'd usually be on my 26er.

Now, the main question is then, was I carrying more speed on the 29er, therefore deserving/requiring that smaller gear? I unfortunately hadn't hooked up my cycle computer (had to track down some zip ties), so i'm not entirely sure. I didn't feel like i was going much faster - it's something i'll have to test once i've got the speed readout in front of me.

I also found there was a shift in the back that really broke up my cadence/rhythm for me - going to a smaller gear would really take a hit on my legs, while the reverse shift would see me spinning quite easily. I wasn't paying too much attention to which combo it was, so i'll keep an eye out on it and see if i can isolate the problem.

I've got no intention just yet of changing the ratios - especially as i'm not spinning efficiently yet (see previous posts re seat position). It would be silly to make changes to gearing without getting that right. The problems above could also be a result of that poor seat position/inability to spin smoothly.

Tests continue :)

Edit: I'd also point out that the shifting was seriously crisp. In particular, changing the front rings was significantly better than my old XT/LX 9 speed kit. Out back it was much the same. Even under a degree of power, the shifting out back was clean and quick.

Last edited:

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
I have converted to tubeless using gorilla no probs,: holding air well.:)
Might have to give that a go before i get some new wheels.

Anyway, since all the shots of the bike so far have been against walls, or in peoples garages, i figured i'd show proof they do actually work in their natural habitat (weekends Scott24)

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt

Anyway, since all the shots of the bike so far have been against walls, or in peoples garages, i figured i'd show proof they do actually work in their natural habitat (weekends Scott24)
So what are your impressions?? Am interested in going to anthem 29er from xtc 29er. Will bring across my TWE 29" wheels - they are so strong and light. (Currently have an anthem X as my duallie but love the 29" wheels of the xtc, but xtc not so good for my back).

As a matter of interest are there any others who have ridden other brands of 29er DS care to comment as to differences eg niner, specialized, etc?

Jubas

Likes Dirt

Pictures
Ahhhh so that was you. I was watching the start and think i saw you go by on the Anthem 29er - if not, there are only so many other people it could be :p

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
So what are your impressions??

As a matter of interest are there any others who have ridden other brands of 29er DS care to comment as to differences eg niner, specialized, etc?
First 29er, so yeah no comparisons to others sorry. Overall its fantastic. There is a massively clear advantage in rolling over techy sections, and keeping traction in general when stuff gets lose and fast. Id say it'd be even better if i ditched the crossmarks (atleast on the front - yes i know they suck, i just didnt have time to get other options lined up).

Some of the tight switch backs on stromlo definitely felt a bit sluggish, BUT as always theres no trails like that around where i live, so i have very little practice on them. So id say the sluggishness around them isnt just the "29ers aren't great around tight turns" its more me sucking as a rider. I remember not being fast in years gone by on my 26 hardtail.

Over everything else tho, it was flawless. Fast techy stuff i sometimes felt like i was on a DH bike more than a light XC race bike. It just soaked it up.

This facial expression is known as "The Full Gordo"...

Yeah that was my last lap, went pretty hard, got a bit under an hour which i was happy with.

On a more serious note, I'm another one interested in a write up of your impressions on the bike's performance.
The thing that probably interests me the most is the propedal vs not. I did a couple of laps with it off, and a couple with it on. The bike felt good on either setting - i absolutely noticed the propedal making the back solid on the firetrail climbs, but even on the rough stuff it still handled it quite well, just not as much squish.

Obviously what you go with is going to be really track/trail specific. I'm still not sure ive found the ideal setting/pressure, will keep experimenting.

Ahhhh so that was you. I was watching the start and think i saw you go by on the Anthem 29er - if not, there are only so many other people it could be :p
I think there were 3 of them going around the mountain. I didnt get a chance to chat to any of the other guys on them, just saw them roll past my camp site.

Mal01

Likes Dirt
I think there were 3 of them going around the mountain. I didnt get a chance to chat to any of the other guys on them, just saw them roll past my camp site.
I was on one, but I really can't give any meaningful feedback. My normal, and only other MTB ride is a rigid singlespeed 29er so all I can say is that it bounces a bit ... My quickest lap was on the SS, but that's not too surprising.

krisko

Likes Dirt
I only managed a lap before coming down with bronchitis, hard!

I didn't get a chance to set it up correctly so rolled into the Fox tent for setup.
I will play around with it this week to get it dialled and am eager to do the Fling 100k.

I have the front end suspension dialled and feel that Im close to getting the rear end dialled. Wouldn't mind adding some pressure to the rear and turning pro pedal down current running max pro pedal to compensate for lack of air.....

Rolled over everything at the Scott with a lot of confidence!
I also need to get the general bike setup dialled ie:seat height bar height.....