Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I think I may have to use my lifetime frame warranty. :(
When is a crack a frame failure? Where the top tube meets the seat tube is some fine cracks. It's through the clear coat and into the paint. I don't want to take it in for nothing, but I also don't want to race a 12 hour next week on a frame that may fail. Wotayarekon?

Update;
The frame has been replaced without question. It took a little longer than I would have liked because there was no carbon frames available. Giant ended up sending a complete bike to my lbs and they striped it for the frame. So I now have a 2014 frame :D
Let's hope this one lasts a bit longer than 12 months.

softek

Likes Dirt
Update;
The frame has been replaced without question. It took a little longer than I would have liked because there was no carbon frames available. Giant ended up sending a complete bike to my lbs and they striped it for the frame. So I now have a 2014 frame :D
man, thats just farked up PISTON, cracked frame and you rode that bike like a girl, walked over every log and drop to right?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
man, thats just farked up PISTON, cracked frame and you rode that bike like a girl, walked over every log and drop to right?
That's actually pretty accurate. Thanks for pointing that out. When are we going riding? Coming to Gravity this weekend?

softek

Likes Dirt
That's actually pretty accurate. Thanks for pointing that out. When are we going riding? Coming to Gravity this weekend?
cant go bro, Longs getting married this weekend , else I would have done pairs, 12 hours is just to LONG, glad i sold my Anthem though

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update;
Good news!

My 2015 adv has developed a creaking noise down in the BB area so I'll need to give it a good luck ok over soon too.. Hmm

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Got any pics of the new frame PB. I was riding at lysterfield on Sunday and bumped into this dude in thecarpark who cracked his 2014 adv frame in the exact same spot as you. He also snapped in half his giant carbon slr post at the same time. Frame was 3 rides old. He was on his third frame(started off with 26" wheels). Giant have been good with frame replacement but I don't think he wants another.
The bike was full top shelf. Xx1, enve xc carbon rims xtr trail brakes and carbon fizik seat. Weighed 10.1kgs or something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Sorry for the rubbish pic. I'll get another when I get it out on the trail.

Maybe the dude has broken all those frames should get a Trance?
As for my frame cracking??? There's no reason it should have cracked. I never get too far off the ground and am not at all an aggressive rider. Most of the 1900km on this bike have been on pretty easy trails like Yarra trails. Also raced xc at bright, Forrest, Lakes Entrance, Wombat and You Yangs. No DH or AM riding.
I'm putting it down to bad luck.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Funny story my first 2014 anthem advanced I bought I took it off the shop floor an didn't test ride it. (already had an anthem, just bought the carbon model) got it home 300 km from store and throw the leg over. As soon as I hit the pedal it made terrible creaking noises in BB.. Rode it 100m, put it in the garage on the hanger and it was still creaking.

Took it back to the shop and they swapped the frame on the spot.

New bikes shouldn't be like this but I guess it's nice to know giant are so good about warranty issues..

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I'm tipping that in 2015 if giant release a ax29 they will redesign the join of top tube and seat tube exactly the same as the 27.5 models released this yeAr. Both carbon and aluminium models seem to break at that point.

oilboy

Squid
I own a 2013 Giant Anthem X and am loving it. During a clean I have come across a On/Off lever on the rear derailleur? It is Shimano Deore XT and while I understand the Dyna Sys I have no idea what the switch is for?
Did a bit of research on the net but only found info on the whole system.
I have been running with it in the Off position since November 2013 and have been happy with the shifting so would love to know what it does differently in the on position.
Thanks for any help.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I own a 2013 Giant Anthem X and am loving it. During a clean I have come across a On/Off lever on the rear derailleur? It is Shimano Deore XT and while I understand the Dyna Sys I have no idea what the switch is for?
Did a bit of research on the net but only found info on the whole system.
I have been running with it in the Off position since November 2013 and have been happy with the shifting so would love to know what it does differently in the on position.
Thanks for any help.
It's a clutch, turn it on and see the magic that is no chain slap!

Try move the deraillieur by hand with it off then on. See do you notice any difference!

gollum

Likes Bikes
Got any pics of the new frame PB. I was riding at lysterfield on Sunday and bumped into this dude in thecarpark who cracked his 2014 adv frame in the exact same spot as you. He also snapped in half his giant carbon slr post at the same time. Frame was 3 rides old. He was on his third frame(started off with 26" wheels). Giant have been good with frame replacement but I don't think he wants another.
The bike was full top shelf. Xx1, enve xc carbon rims xtr trail brakes and carbon fizik seat. Weighed 10.1kgs or something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
that was me the seat post was my fault had the shits and over tightened it. expensive lesson, don't work on your cabon bike when you have the shits with it.
all good now giant gave me a 2014 trance adv 0. love the trance awesome bike.

can't fault giant on there warranty service, they have been great to deal with, just a shame to need to use that service so many times.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
Upper headset

Help where does the little black stepped spacer go in headset assembly, I didn't notice it when I removed my fork, thanks

Stuart

Last edited: