Playstation 3 Thread

simmooo!

Likes Dirt
That customization on black ops looks pretty rad. The ability to customize your own emblem reminds me of halo but more complex.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm thinking of getting a PS3 for Gran Turismo 5.

I also want to get in on some Move action and a couple of exclusives but mostly for GT5. I haven't had any real research into it but will it be a flop? what do you think it will be like? I have forza 3 but if GT5 is going to suck i might stay away...

Also i want to get a full steering wheel setup too, Whats the best out there? Logitech G27 any good?

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
I'm thinking of getting a PS3 for Gran Turismo 5.

I also want to get in on some Move action and a couple of exclusives but mostly for GT5. I haven't had any real research into it but will it be a flop? what do you think it will be like? I have forza 3 but if GT5 is going to suck i might stay away...

Also i want to get a full steering wheel setup too, Whats the best out there? Logitech G27 any good?
Don't have a clue about steering wheels, but consider this.
How much did GT4 up the game in terms of a pure driving simulator?
It also set a pretty darn high standard for graphics and realism, so based on that, think about how high resolution the TV's of today are, aswell as the picture quality Bluray discs put out.
I'd say it's going to be VERY high up there with one of the best games of all time, I'm hoping. Most certainly the best driving simulator or racing game.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Why is that no new steering wheel and pedal setups have a fckn clutch! What kinda of nancy plays a simulator and doesn't use a clutch? I wanna clutch kick the shit outta some cars in drift mode, maybe I should just get LFS and a G25.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't have a clue about steering wheels, but consider this.
How much did GT4 up the game in terms of a pure driving simulator?
It also set a pretty darn high standard for graphics and realism, so based on that, think about how high resolution the TV's of today are, aswell as the picture quality Bluray discs put out.
I'd say it's going to be VERY high up there with one of the best games of all time, I'm hoping. Most certainly the best driving simulator or racing game.
Yeh it was pretty insane and i know it will be good but compared to Forza 3? Better yes. How much better? Don't know... After having a look around it looks absolutly insane! Dynamic lighting and weather with incredible detail (on 200~ cars) and the top gear test track. There are downsides despite the massive wait. But hopefully not as bad as people say.

GT5 will use a clutch pedal and the G25/G27 has a clutch so it should be good times! FM3 has a clutch too but no pedal. Trying to use the clutch and rev match with a controller is like player twister...

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have used a G25, and I found the clutch more of a pain than a help. It was unrealistic... could not drop the clutch or anything like that, and its take up/engagement seemed really unrealistic and it was really hard to get used to.

That said I might not have spent enough time with it, or played with the settings as it was a friends... but in the short I was not overly impressed. That said I have just bought the Logitech Driving Force GT, no clutch, but it has added a whole new dimension to GT5P, and certainly is a lot more fun. Only downside to it is that instead of having to change gear they are only buttons, but still do much the same thing.
padals
That said for a bit of aluminium and a clutch is $500, Driving Force GT cost me $99. Rather large contrast.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have used a G25, and I found the clutch more of a pain than a help. It was unrealistic... could not drop the clutch or anything like that, and its take up/engagement seemed really unrealistic and it was really hard to get used to.

That said I might not have spent enough time with it, or played with the settings as it was a friends... but in the short I was not overly impressed. That said I have just bought the Logitech Driving Force GT, no clutch, but it has added a whole new dimension to GT5P, and certainly is a lot more fun. Only downside to it is that instead of having to change gear they are only buttons, but still do much the same thing.
padals
That said for a bit of aluminium and a clutch is $500, Driving Force GT cost me $99. Rather large contrast.
From what i've read the G25 is a far better product but then again the price reflects that. I also want paddle shift. It mentions that each of the pedals are adjustable but how much i have no idea.

Try youtube'ing this subject, some videos are pretty funny! People get full into race sims. Like in game, yeh i like to tune my cars for hours but these guys have the full seat and setup with hydraulics under the chair and even special boots/socks to enhance heel-toe on the pedals! intense.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what i've read the G25 is a far better product but then again the price reflects that. I also want paddle shift. It mentions that each of the pedals are adjustable but how much i have no idea.

Try youtube'ing this subject, some videos are pretty funny! People get full into race sims. Like in game, yeh i like to tune my cars for hours but these guys have the full seat and setup with hydraulics under the chair and even special boots/socks to enhance heel-toe on the pedals! intense.
Yeah some people really do take it seriously.

With the Driving Force GT wheel set up... it still does have a paddle shift, but they are not big proper levers made from aluminium. They are just large buttons on the back, and in my opinion it is just as good.

I think as far as price goes...$400 is a lot of cash for a few little extras. That said too, I know Gran Turismo 5 Prologue didn't even support the G25 or G27... so not sure what the deal will be with the full game. (Would assume options for it).

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah some people really do take it seriously.

With the Driving Force GT wheel set up... it still does have a paddle shift, but they are not big proper levers made from aluminium. They are just large buttons on the back, and in my opinion it is just as good.
Ohhh my bad. Just looked at a few photos of the DFGT and totally missed that. Buttons are fine. For the price i might check that wheel out first. Force feedback and wheel quality are apparently on par with each other.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, it feels pretty good and can not fault mine as of yet. The red dial on the wheel is also handy because you can change car options:

- Traction Control
- ABS
- ASM
- 4WD Power Bias
- and a few others, but only some are available as GT5P being like a big demo.

But yeah dicksmith has some for $99 but they are apparently getting harder to come by so get in quick. I personally had to get mine form Emerald QLD.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Try 1wow.com.au to grab a Driving Force GT. I know the stock is low.
I use this wheel and rate is very high, it just feels right.
I doubt I'll get GT5 as it just repaeats everything they've done before. Yeah, it might look good but that means jack shit when the gameplay sucks and that is what I've found with every GT game. The control of the cars seems too.........square? Too block like? I know, makes no sense but I just never feel as though the car is doing what you tune it to do. Forza 3 on Xbox 360 does feel good even with a standard controller and I think they'll need to match that type of feel in GT5 instead of just relying on 11634556712378 cars and 34263 tracks with great visiuals. Who looks at the detail on a mountain top when you're understeering into fifth gear corner?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
99% of race cars only use the clutch to take off.................. Who needs a clutch pedal!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have FM3 now and i love the physics on the cars, it just feels right and you can feel every adjustment you make to the car. Now i know GT5 will be a good game, because every GT before it has set the benchmark. I liked the physics in GT5:p but GT5 might be different again and then theres tuning on top of that so i have no doubt GT5 will be great.

The G25 is no doubt a way better wheel. but worth the extra money? not sure..

If i was just racing race cars i would just go the DFGT. Most in real life don't use 6-speed or a clutch. So its perfect. But the G25 is better quality and has more adjustments to make it feel more real...And it has a clutch. Drifting without a clutch is not a problem but if i'm going to a full steering wheel setup then i think i want it...maybe.

$100 compared to $400 is quit a jump though.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bit of a question for you all...
My ps3 has recently decided to stop reading any disk that i put in it. The game will not even show up in the section where the little picture thingy shows up that it has registered that the game is actually in. Initially it would show up but wouldn't let me play the game. It now won't show up at all.
Has anyone else had this problem? is it fixable , or not really worth it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
To ElectroFunkster I didn't really research all new wheel setups was merely commenting on what I saw at the shops and I didn't see that.

Drifting without a clutch sounds like shit I'm used to kicking the shit out of it, in games like Gran Turismo I prefer driving the medium range road cars hopped up with a few mods so I prefer a clutch for both drift and grip.

Last edited:

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bit of a question for you all...
My ps3 has recently decided to stop reading any disk that i put in it. The game will not even show up in the section where the little picture thingy shows up that it has registered that the game is actually in. Initially it would show up but wouldn't let me play the game. It now won't show up at all.
Has anyone else had this problem? is it fixable , or not really worth it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Happened to my old PS3. It is the laser in the disk drive and it burns its self out.

I rang Sony and they said it costs $250 to fix including postage and they give a 3 month warranty on the parts. This was too expensive in my eyes so thought I could source an aftermarket one, but that apparently is risky business as well because the lasers are very very delicate... even too much force applied holding them can ruin them.

I just bought a new PS3 in short, but yeh you can get it fixed for a price.