Playstation 3 Thread

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The big day arrives tomorrow! My most anticipated game ever arrives - F1 2010. It is my most anticipated because it is the first crack at the series from Codemasters who make the best racing games. To follow that, next month is Fallout New Vegas! Christmas has come early for me!
I've been playing Halo 3 this week. I got it cheap so I thought I'd see what all the hype is about. It reminds me of games I played when I was twelve. It isn't that appealing to me but I'll give it a chance.
I've decided I'm not getting Black Ops. I'm sick of the experts on Modern Warfare 2 so I'll steer clear of the next one. Hopefully the wankers will get off MW2 and play th enew new one...........;)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The big day arrives tomorrow! My most anticipated game ever arrives - F1 2010. It is my most anticipated because it is the first crack at the series from Codemasters who make the best racing games. To follow that, next month is Fallout New Vegas! Christmas has come early for me!
I've been playing Halo 3 this week. I got it cheap so I thought I'd see what all the hype is about. It reminds me of games I played when I was twelve. It isn't that appealing to me but I'll give it a chance.
I've decided I'm not getting Black Ops. I'm sick of the experts on Modern Warfare 2 so I'll steer clear of the next one. Hopefully the wankers will get off MW2 and play th enew new one...........;)
Splashed out on one of those Logitech Driving Force GT steering wheels just for the occasion!

Flatmate will hate me for it but for the next week and a half, our lounge is getting turned into an RB6 (well, once I earn my bones with Lotus...)

Oh, as for Black Ops, I reckon BC2's Vietnam downloadable content will be way cooler. I remember playing Battlefield:Vietnam on the PC a few years back. They went all out with Jefferson Airplane, CCR etc on the soundtrack! Was awesome. Made me want to freak out, frag my CO, play russian roulette then punch-on with the local sherrif's dept and national guard!

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've filled out a form to ban my fiance from using the big screen for the next week and a half. She can watch wedding shows on a smaller telly in the bedroom. At least there she won't have to wear her industrial ear plugs.;)
I haven't recieved the call saying my pre order is available for pick up tomorrow yet and let it be said that if this disc isn't in my hands tomorrow I will sue somebody. It will be a legitimate case too.

Toff

Likes Dirt
I remember playing Battlefield:Vietnam on the PC a few years back. They went all out with Jefferson Airplane, CCR etc on the soundtrack! Was awesome. Made me want to freak out, frag my CO, play russian roulette then punch-on with the local sherrif's dept and national guard!
I'm still playing BFV to this day, such an awesome game.

I've nicked my mates GT25 wheel recently to play GT5P on, ploughed through the events and spent hours of oval racing to earn enough to buy the F2007. F*cking love it, it's tempting to get F1 2010 now. Only thing stopping me is the (fingers crossed) upcoming release of GT5, which I can only assume will have F1 cars in it?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I just go tthe call that said I can have my copy today instead of tomorrow. I cried tears of joy. Bye!:D

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Almost forgot this thread existed! Loads to say...
Im still waiting on GT5...I think getting keen for that is an extremely silly idea
I'm with you mate, I think collectively on the GT series, I would've spent several months as a child playing, I've always been a fan of a good driving simulator!
Speaking of a driving simulators, anyone ever play Test Drive Unlimited? Imagine GT, more exotic cars, and a Hawaiin island all to yourself... it was bliss. I've heard rumours of a new one being released soon which is rad!

Ok, biggest gaming release of this year is without a doubt going to be Black Ops, whether you're a fan of the Call of Duty franchise, we all know it.
So, when I first saw some of the earlier game-play trailers/teasers, I was thinking, "yeah, this looks a little cheesy and noob friendy"
So I've got free Yotube at school, and I spend way too much time on it. Started doing a bit of searching around, and found this (worth the watch if you're a CoD fan, or want to get into it)...

[video=youtube;G94SolEtpnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94SolEtpnc[/video]
Bassicaly as the title states, it goies through a lot of stuff on the online multiplayer mode. They've thrown in these contract things, which run on game time, not real time, and you have to accomplish certain challenges etc. in a limited game time. The one thing I'm afraid with, is spending my summer addicted to this game...

Anyway, enough from me for today.

ElectroFunkster

Likes Dirt
how F ing good is F1 ... I HATE realistic driving games .. but this one has me hooked ...

is anyone here interested in a weekly F1 championship .. we have 6 guys here at work and a few of our other friends have this game .. were thinking of running a private 3 lap championship once a week ... we worked out that with 2 hours we could prob finish one ..

anyone interested .. send me a msg here or on PSN (Sashweed) to get the invite .. at the moment were thinking monday nights @ 7 but thats still up in the air.

COME GET SOME !!!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm digging F1 too good buddy. I saw your message pop up but I didn't read it until after my qualifying session.;)
There is a major bug that is totally rooting your game save so please do a search on the Codemasters forum to fully understand this bug! What happens is this: After activating the game you get onto the loading screen just after the autosave feature is shown. If you have a corrupt game save you will freeze on this loading screen and won't be able to progress. The problem comes from a corrupted save that you get if you complete an R & D task in practise then exit the game which activates the autosave. If you then turn your system off and come back hoping to do session 2 or qualifying you will get the freeze. Your game save file needs to be deleted and you need to start again! You can avoid this issue by playing through your practise sessions and starting the qualifying session so it does the autosave there. Codemasters are making a patch to fix it but until then just remember to do this or you'll risk losing your game.
I'm interested in an online setup but I'll only play with people who want to tune the car and actually race without nailing the dude next to him. Let me know what you come up with Sashweed and I'll jump in.;)

Joy

Likes Dirt
I just bought Uncharted 2. Pretty awesome

F1 looks fun and I need a good driving game, but GT5 is ACTUALLY being released in November so I'm just gonna wait till then.

ElectroFunkster

Likes Dirt
yeah sent that msg then turned off for bed.

yeah haven't had that bug yet but I'll do some research

I did get a bug where when I pitted I took my finger off the gas just before the pit box and the rear jackman jumped in the way and I couldn't get past him to the pit box

I also had one when I set my pit stratagy from 4 to 8 laps then got to 6 laps and my tires were going off so I called a pit before the line .. pitted fine but when I got to 8 laps they caled me in again. lucky I was so far infront I still got out before 2nd came round but only just

yeah these guys are good, all 30+ and not interested in playing dogems ... played a bit last night with explosive_81's cousn I think it is .. was good fun.

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
Ive got the 80GB PS3 and would like to get a PlayTV tv recorder peripheral thingy.

Anyone used a PlayTV before and care to give their opinion on it? I think I can get it for around $160 from JB HiFi, is that a good price?

Additionally, as my hard disk space is small at 80GB I think it'd be wise to firstly upgrade to a larger disk size. Ive heard that its pretty simple to do yourself. What upgrade would you recommend for someone who is wanting to record tv/movies/docos etc on a regular basis? I was thinking future proofing myself and going all out with a 1TB (if they have it) and also getting the 7200-RPM (if that even really makes a difference)??

What are peoples experiences with upgrading their ps3 hard drives? Any regrets that you didnt go a bigger size or wish u went the 7200 over the 5400 RPM?

Also can you pls drop me a link with a recommended hard drive upgrade?

Cheers

Last edited:

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive had my 80gb PS3 for a few years now, and its finally died, if yours is as old as mine, and you want to do what your doing, id suggest upgrading, mine couldn't cope just playing games...

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Ive had my 80gb PS3 for a few years now, and its finally died, if yours is as old as mine, and you want to do what your doing, id suggest upgrading, mine couldn't cope just playing games...
I've had mine since their relese, and have only ever had one fuck up, the disc drive stopped being able to read discs, got it replaced with the test models of the 120GB hard drives, and haven't had any issues since!

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had mine since their relese, and have only ever had one fuck up, the disc drive stopped being able to read discs, got it replaced with the test models of the 120GB hard drives, and haven't had any issues since!
Yeah i had mine since the release, never fucked up till about few months ago, so then i raged at it, it worked, it died, i raged at it, it still dead.

Likes Dirt
Ive got the 80GB PS3 and would like to get a PlayTV tv recorder peripheral thingy.

Anyone used a PlayTV before and care to give their opinion on it? I think I can get it for around $160 from JB HiFi, is that a good price?
Yeah we use PlayTV for all our TV viewing, and it's great! I found it much easier to schedule recordings and whatnot than with a DVD recorder, you can still play games etc while it's recording, and I would definately recommend getting the bluetooth remote control thingo as well, makes life much easier.

As for your HD, I can't help i'm afraid, we have a 250gb but given we regularly delete things after we record them, we don't have an issue. Bear in mind that half an hour of TV is close to 1gb or something like that, so it does go through pretty quickly.
The only downside I've found is we can't put the recordings onto a separate USB drive or get them off the playstation.

ElectroFunkster

Likes Dirt

Additionally, as my hard disk space is small at 80GB I think it'd be wise to firstly upgrade to a larger disk size. Ive heard that its pretty simple to do yourself. What upgrade would you recommend for someone who is wanting to record tv/movies/docos etc on a regular basis? I was thinking future proofing myself and going all out with a 1TB (if they have it) and also getting the 7200-RPM (if that even really makes a difference)??

What are peoples experiences with upgrading their ps3 hard drives? Any regrets that you didnt go a bigger size or wish u went the 7200 over the 5400 RPM?

Also can you pls drop me a link with a recommended hard drive upgrade?

Cheers
No opinion on playtv but I can give you on on HDD replacement.

its quite easy to do ... insert usb stick, back up saved games and dame data (now there is the problem if you dont have a big enough usb stick or USB HDD, I deleted all my game install data, its on the disk anyway)

then you take the cover off the bottom insert new HDD into cradle plug it in small format and install of os and addition of your saved games and presto.

Takes about 30min to a hour. and there are heaps of vids on youtube on how to do this or just google it

Option for HDD are limited, I dont think you can get 1Tb drives yet (remember they are laptop HDD's not full sized ones) the biggest I could get at the time was 650gig (more than enough) and was about $125

you also need to check the speed, apparently you can't use the new 10k RPM drives in the older ps3's but I seam to remember mine being bought close to when they first came out and 10k worked in mine. if your worried just get a 7200.

goodluck

oh and buy a decent HDD brand .. seagate WD something like that .. cheap china copies will die