2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Wow! What a weekend!

Many roller-coasters of emotions during 18 laps. Thanks to my "shared" crew Janet, Gareth and Adam. You guys kept it real and I didnt want to make your sacrifice for nothing.. thanks. Hope those 6am beers were as good as they looked as I headed out for another lap :)

No real drama's for me apart from coming across the line about 5:30pm being told I had to have lights on the bike. WTF! pit crew knew nothing about it so lost a good chunk of time.

Saw some awesome skills down the Luge, especially the guy on the rigid SS 29er on Sunday.. thanks for the demo before you let us by ;)

All up, great time, great people!

cheers

rangie

Likes Dirt
Dude, you either need to pay attention to the updates or wait for the briefing IMHO...

only as much as we get an extra 15mins to get an extra lap in at the end. It matters little, you race for Elite, or you race for a category. There is no "overall" prize (or least there's not one advertised or offered in previous years) there are over 100 Elite riders, so it makes sense to split 'em off. I for one am glad to get a potentially cleaner run at the first lap rather than elbows out with 400+ riders

On the most part, the Elite guys are faster than age cats so *shrug*

Spoonie
Hmmmm....I can assure you there were quite a few elites who were beaten by what you refer to as 'slower riders'.

For example:
Brett Bellchambers (on a single speed) - would have been 7th?
Jason McAvoy - would have been 8th?

And yes, we all 'get it' there is no overall result - frankly don't really care. BUT it is nice to see these guys bust a gut to get amongst the 'elite' riders.

Fantastic weekend, great racing with some fantastic performances of which are too numerous to mention. Awesome pace by the front runners including a few overseas riders in particular cory wallace who pipped fellows right at the end of last lap and won by 2min?. In the end no one could live with Jason English, a much deserved winner. Same for the womens with Jess Douglas (she would have been about 25th? overall beating a LOT of men too) a well deserved winner with Katrin and Ester keeping her honest. Norm was on edge there for a while on sunday morning:) Lots of inspirational performances lower down the order too, and also the usual suspects not finishing for whatever reason :-(

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
didya google broccoli and custard while you were at it? ;) ... I think google has lead you astray this time.
Broccoli & custard:
Pit row Sunday morning. Two riders set up behind our solo allocation chatting.
Riders 448 & 449 - "What is going on with the broccoli & custard???"
"Yeah there is like a film crew panning from this bowl of custard and some broccoli to riders then back to the custard. Are they making some sort of film about it?"

:D

Bear - out.

joeyjoblah

Likes Bikes
Hmmmm....I can assure you there were quite a few elites who were beaten by what you refer to as 'slower riders'.

For example:
Brett Bellchambers (on a single speed) - would have been 7th?
Jason McAvoy - would have been 8th?
Or John Blankenstein? - 5th overall

Last edited:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great organisation - mabe the Commonwealth Games should be run by CORC.

Thankyou for running a great event, brilliant course, loved the hills, perfect atmosphere out on track, pit set up was great for my supporters.... thankyou - lots
I am sorry and know I am going to hurt a LOT of peoples feelings here but NO.
So many poorly organised things happened in the lead up and throughout this event but I wont list them all.

Bodin

GMBC
I am sorry and know I am going to hurt a LOT of peoples feelings here but NO.
So many poorly organised things happened in the lead up and throughout this event but I wont list them all.
Advice to all rotorburners - this thread is being watched with interest. Please keep it constructive.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Fyi

previous question regarding elevation data
Distance pretty much 18kms elevation just over 400mts, this is from my Garmin 705, not quite 500mts as predicted still enough after 24hrs.

Quiggs

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did I just read the WSC site correctly?!?!?!

TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE DOLLARS!?!?! for the commemerative jersey and knicks - are they made of solid gold or something :p

rangie

Likes Dirt

TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE DOLLARS!?!?! for the commemerative jersey and knicks - are they made of solid gold or something :p
That would be uncomfortable.

Bargain! if you miss out, you loose.

If it was a normal jersey it would be expensive but as a commemorative jersey, its great value.

macboy

Likes Dirt
Did anyone hear the bagpiper on the back of the mountain around sunrise?

That was my father, I relieved him of crew duties and sent him up there to encourage everyone. Hope that it didn't hurt too many peoples ears.

Well done to all who kept climbing that ridiculous mountain twice every lap!!
Did he tell you about the rider who stopped on that corner to play a tune on his pipes? That was me. He looked a bit bewildered at first with some skinny, filthy cyclist pointing his Ayups in you poor dads face asking him to hand over his pipes with the words "I promise I won' hurt them". It was cool, that cheered me up more than anything else during the race.:D

akashra

Eats Squid
Er, and knicks? That's not over the top. Most store kits are ~140+100 +/-20 for knicks and jerseys respectively, and more for good quality stuff.

Beechie

Banned
Wrap up

IT IS THE ONLY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - FULL STOP.
UCI stands for what? I have seen and been involved in their work - and the acronym has some merit.
What has Cycling Australia done for this event - oops newsletters on the Commonwealth Games - MTBA not a great deal more.
Compared to the World Champs in September this event has much more atmosphere (combined with the Scott) and the number of participants is unprecedented.

Innumerable things could and do need to be improved. Medals and prizes for a start. I've seen better prizes in State series, for similar categories.

Every rider who did laps in competition at this event understands ....... what it takes..... all others are irrelevant - please leave the building now, with Elvis.

Jason and Jess are worthy of World recognition - they are champions who do it for love and competition not the millions that footballers receive for a one nation sport (AFL)

Thanks to the volunteers, CORC, all the entrants, pit managers and all riders' supporters and spectators who lined the course. Canberra provided immaculate weather for the riders in the events - please let me know how to organize this!!!

CA are a businesses, providing employment for their own administrators and empire building for the Aussies image in cycling and UCI is ???? - UCI treats mountain biking like a business to generate fees from teams - in Australia both of these organization are irrelevant to mountain bikers.

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What can I say, I'm a uni student:eek:

I buy my knicks from Kathmandu when they are on special at $60 (marked down from $89)... the one jersey I've ever paid for (as opposed to being thrown in with a bike) was $30... $295 would be about the amount I budget for clothing a year (and I wonder why I'm single:p;):p)

I'm starting to see a depressing cycle evolve: (at a normal clothes shop) why should I spend this much on clothes, I dont spend this much on bike clothes - (at a bike shop) why should I spend this much on bike clothes, I dont spend this much on normal clothes (and repeat)

to put everything in perspective I didnt think twice about shelling out more than 300 bucks for the race entry or two new sets of tires... I must have one warped sense of value:D (possibly linked to the level of insanity that either led to, or was derived from riding a bike for 24 hours)

Thats a lot of money! but it's a good brand. I just wish they would offer the jersey on its own (I'm a bib-nick only guy). If it was $150 it'd still be expensive but I'd swallow it. Maybe if enough of us are interested and send Stuart an email they will offer the items separately?

tegski

Likes Dirt
That would be uncomfortable.

Bargain! if you miss out, you loose.

If it was a normal jersey it would be expensive but as a commemorative jersey, its great value.
Agree with the commemorative jersey bit, as it is worth it…for me.
But I did gulp a bit as I ordered.
Is it just the jersey and knix?…I have seen people around with jackets as well from the past…and the order does not specify…and says "WSC10collection". (I was hoping that maybe there was more - as I would imagine quite a few people will order.)

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
The bag pipes were great. They started up in total darkness from about 30 metres away and gave me quite a fright. I have always been of the view that they should be enjoyed from a distance but this was an exception!

Last edited: