Little Things You Hate

brindog

Likes Dirt
seems that when I have a day off it rains, well thats how it has been the last few weeks, It was sunny all weekend, now I have a few days off and its raining.:mad:

hayden olsen

Likes Bikes
going to the gym. don't get me wrong, i love the gym i go to but sometimes it really annoys me, the people there are either semi chubby or are fit and attractive, so today i was one the treadmill then some guy with a walk that makes him look like a duck because he's so overly muscly says

Man : hey champ could you get off the treadmill for me

Me : sorry what was that ?

Man : just get off it or ill get mad mate

Me : ok whatever you say

then so i get off just cause Im not in the mood for dick heads like that

dont understand how he has anymore rights then me, i pay for my membership so therefor i get to use what equipment i want and no muscle bound jerk can tell me to get off the treadmill, sure Im only a teenager but there was like another 5 treadmills across the room. And even a personal trainer next to me was shaking his head at how that idiot acted.

im done :)

Last edited:

scuba05

Likes Dirt
going to the gym...
Yerp. Im not even that big of a fan of the gym myself. I dont see the point in paying $30/month or wateva it is to go and work out, when you can pay $0 and go for a run or something.

I know it is a different story if your going to do weights, but still.....

And on the story of weights. People who go to the gym ONLY to do weights.
What is the point in gaining all this muscle, if your cardio-vascular system cant efficiently pump blood to it? I have one mate in particular who is by no means a slim build, but only does weight, absolutely NO cardio workout. Silly in my opinion.

I guess some people don't have the self motivation to get up and go do exercise, unless they get to show-off in the process.
And i would also say it is somewhat of a status symbol as well.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Yerp. Im not even that big of a fan of the gym myself. I dont see the point in paying $30/month or wateva it is to go and work out, when you can pay $0 and go for a run or something.

I know it is a different story if your going to do weights, but still.....

What is the point in gaining all this muscle, if your cardio-vascular system cant efficiently pump blood to it? I have one mate in particular who is by no means a slim build, but only does weight, absolutely NO cardio workout. Silly in my opinion.

I guess some people don't have the self motivation to get up and go do exercise, unless they get to show-off in the process.
It is quite satisfying packing on muscle and it is useful for other sports. DH is heaps easier with a solid upper body and the muscle provides crash protection for joints. I also play icehockey where the muscle is incredibly helpful. Defending the puck, muscleing other skaters away and defending a check are much easy with a few more kg of muscle.

That said, the guys who obviously only build for the sake of being built are kinda embarassing to themselves.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
That said, the guys who obviously only build for the sake of being built are kinda embarassing to themselves.
And thats what 50+% of people at the gym are doing it for i would think. Of the 10+ people i know who frequent the gym (2-3+ times a week), primarily for muscle gain, only one does it to improve/sustain muscle for a sport (MMA). The rest are there to "Get the big bicepts to make all the chix want me bro."

Quite sad really.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
from a woman's point of view and also being a massage/remedial therapist for 10+ years, i have to agree with you. a bulky muscled man with no aerobic fitness is just not attractive.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And that does SFA for any sort of muscle gain. If you're paying to go to the gym you're not going just to run.

What's wrong with that? When I go to the gym I only do weights. People can't do cardio outside of the gym?

And you're entitled to your opinion. But he's obviously doing it for the looks and evolution says he'll get more than you if he looks better than you.

Not a status symbol, a competitive nature. What do you see wrong with it?

The rest are there to "Get the big bicepts to make all the chix want me bro."

Quite sad really.
Sad? How is that sad?

Would you rather them not do any exercise at all? Why does getting muscle mass have to compliment an aerobic sport?

Last edited:

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mate and I have our own freeweight setup in his shed that we use every day and we are getting serious results. On the downside though our setup did cost around $600 all up, but thats only like 2 years membership at a decent gym. Seriously you don't really need a gym, I defy you to name one exercise that you can't do with either a couple dumbells or a barbell with 100kg of weight

Last edited:

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Body image and self confidence are pretty damn important. You don't have to have a specific physical need for putting on muscle mass. It makes you look better, feel better about yourself > more confidence. That's worth paying for. Obviously having a whole bunch of tub on top of it negates the effect and would prompt some cardio (with common sense), but there's plenty of people who start out skinny (and fit, mind you), don't feel good about it/themselves, so they join a gym to put on 10 kilos.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Body image and self confidence are pretty damn important. You don't have to have a specific physical need for putting on muscle mass. It makes you look better, feel better about yourself > more confidence. That's worth paying for. Obviously having a whole bunch of tub on top of it negates the effect and would prompt some cardio (with common sense), but there's plenty of people who start out skinny (and fit, mind you), don't feel good about it/themselves, so they join a gym to put on 10 kilos.
Exactly, I would rather work out, get results and feel good that sit on the couch eating chips like a fat lump

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Why does getting muscle mass have to compliment an aerobic sport?
because the heart has to be able to pump blood to the increased muscle and bone mass. so it makes sense to do at least some aerobic exercise to strengthen the heart and also to help the body flush lactic acid from the muscles after a workout.

my ex trained with me. he did weights for mass, and bike with me for aerobic. we also did at least one session of facilitated stretching together a week. we did measurements and photos monthly. his gain was much faster and definition was much clearer after we started riding together. but that the only example i can give you as he's the only man i've trained so far.

i did have him on natural supplements and a good diet as well tho.

my trainer for bmx does weights and cycle class 3x a week as well as riding track with me 2 x weekly. he also plays cricket and baseball and surfs most days.. he's 57 and cut, and 2NSW in two classes.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you miss my point, I'm not saying that it doesn't make more sense or that cardio in conjunction with strength training isn't better for getting, and staying in shape - but I'm saying that it's irrational to say that it HAS to be done together for it to make any sense.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Mattydv,
I agree with you on multiple accounts of what you picked up on in my post.
Yes, full cardio everyones cup of tea, just as full weights isnt mine.
And yes, if you want to do weights but dont want to outlay a heap of money, the gym isnt a bad idea.
And defiantly yes, it is better that they are doing something rather than nothing.
And probably yes, it probably isnt sad in their minds, nor many others minds. So i may retract that statement
And as Richo said, body image means a lot to some peoples self confidence. I have seen some small and bigger changes in people's confidence for the better. That can't be construed as a bad thing in any way.

BUT

most people don't do anything else outside the gym. They see it as the entire solution, and may continue with a shithouse diet which does SFA to help with any fat loss or a generaly healthy body, and im assuming that it wont help with muscle gain either.

Purely doing weights probably wont lose much weight. One mate in particular who is overweight has done purely weights for the last 3-4years, and i would say he has lost a marginal amount of weight. In general, the people who 'need' (bad wording, but can't think of a better word) the gym, are the ones who are, erm, 'larger', and doing weights isn't the best way to do it. I WILL ADMIT, most of the people who are trying to gain muscle mass aren't overweight, but that isnt what this point is on about.

I'm not going to comment on how a muscly man looks (i will leave that for the fairer sex). But evolution does also say survival of the fittest, and obviously a larger person who only does weights and has poor cardio-vascular health will not survive as long as any other.

OK, il leave it at that for me. Get back to the little things other people hate.

Last edited:

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What if all these people that only throw weights around at the gym are sprinters or the likes? I know some of my friends who are pretty high level swimmers go to the gym only to throw around weights, and leave any aerobic fitness training to be done outside the gym in the pool or running!

Either way, they're keeping fit, they're keepin' healthy!