Are Race Entries costing too much?

Are race entries costing too much? It's awesome to see the rise of mountain bike events poping all over - we are truly lucky in the choices we have. I love the friendly atmosphere these events generate, that binds us all. When I get a flat, riders ask "you okay mate?", when I'm struggling, I hear "keep 'em turning, you're doing well mate" - I love the atmosphere and all you friendly people.

However, the downside is the financial side of entering in so many high quality events. I would love to do the Mont this year, but Capital Punishment, Escape from Cobra, and even the Tathra Enduro is all around that time. I would love to do them all, but I simple cannot afford it. There's a whole year of events to look forward to.

I understand the costs of putting on high quality events and running a business, but spending $$$ in events is becoming too costly for the average weekend warrior/punter like myself. This is especially hard when premium events all coincide in similar times.

To the event organisers - can we bring prices down, even if it's just a little...?

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Considering how much bikes and bike parts cost I am happy to pay a couple hundred on a race. Organisers have to make money as well.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Considering most of these event sell out I doubt you'll see your price drop

struggles

Likes Dirt
I think they are fairly expensive. Seeing that most of the manpower is from volunteers and they have sponsors that cover the prizes.

A lot of the work on the tracks is done by clubs who get a nominal fee for doing it.

But without them, we would not have as many events as clubs struggle to get people to help run large events.

akashra

Eats Squid
The responses we got back from the VES survey said that $50 isn't too much. However I've had some comments to the contrary from those who do the entire series, so if you're doing a lot of events, sure, it can get that way.
The SurfCoast 6hr went up to I think $90 this year, but the event is worth it, IMO. It really does depend on the event. If it's an event being run by a single guy in a field with a stopwatch, then no, it's not going to be worth $90 to enter.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I am fairly new to this sport. I have been doing some 6 hour vic rounds and some marathon events.
I thinks the price of the 6 hour vic series is ok. But the value of the marathon events seems mixed, and seems to be getting worse. Most marathon events seem to cost about $120-140. But what do we get in return? Sometimes we get a t-shirt, sometimes not. Sometimes we get great feed stations, sometimes not. The bag of goodies seems to have gone. So great value, I think not. I also get really pissed when I finish and everything is packed up and I can't even buy a drink.

I can only compare these events with a 2 day dirt bike ride I have entered and been involved in. 2 days of great riding, all meals(breakfast lunch and dinner with desert), free camping with toilets and showers, a t-shirt, a show bag, heaps of give aways and a 3 month membership to the hosting club. All for about $170.(putting on flame proof jacket now)

But too expensive? That's a tough question. If they were cheaper I would do more. But at the moment, demand seems to exceed supply, so I think there is little chance of prices coming down. Particularly in NSW and ACT. Down here in Vic it does not seem so bad. I wanted to do the Surf coast 12 hour but low funds was the issue, so for me at that time it was too expensive.

Last edited:

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This post seems to come up every six months and i say the same thing. yes they are expensive but so is every other sport/entertainment. I think in terms of value for money the big events usually provide a whole weekends entertainment for my friends and I. Take for example the fling just passed. Entry fee 90 bucks each tank of fuel to get there 60 dinner saturday night 30 breakfast and lunch race day 30 camping 10. So the weekend cost me 220 x 2 to cover my wife and we are looking at 440. This is similar to any other weekend away with friends and i would much prefer to pay that coin and get some exercise. I think ideally the best way to get regular racing is to join your local club race xco and their enduros and the compete selectivly in the big races throughout the year.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Cost of events from a club perspective

G'Day All,

For events such as ours, run by an MTBA affiliated club, could you consider the following.

We run one large event per year. The entry fee you pay for that event covers:

1/ Cost of permits / infrastructure / prizemoney to run the event (yes WE put up all the prizemoney)
2/ Cost to run every other club event for the rest of the year, (if you are a club member, you pay once and get the rest of the year free)
3/ Prizes at club events for the rest of the year
4/ Sponsorship / coaching for club juniors, eg, fuel to attend other events
5/ Infrastructure / club property for loan such as marquees, lights, event trailers
6/ Ability to influence government departments such as DSE, Parks Vic, Local Council as well as local politicians
7/ Ability to advocate for trail maintenance

Just to name a few.

So while entrants see only the event they enter, clubs see the ability to do many others things for the next 12 months

Could I just add, the percentage of MTBA v's NON MTBA entrants is totally out of proportion. Most seem to only enter a couple of events every year and purchase day licences.

This prevents MTBA from running other programs such as high performance coaching and junior development clinics that other sports throw obscene amounts of money at.

As a result, clubs such as ours have to pick up this slack to develop the next generation of Olympians coming through the system. Some clubs are very focussed on this, others not so much.

If every club event could fill with MTBA members our sport would be able to achieve far more than it can at present.

So, next time you enter a club event, ask yourself, is it really that expensive?

(Steps down from soapbox) :rolleyes:

Regards

Roland

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
.... So, next time you enter a club event, ask yourself, is it really that expensive?
I think club events are fine, its stuff like $160 a head in 24 team events or $140+ for 100km events that are costing too much.

But anyway everyone (including me) still pays it, and they sell out, not much you can do about it really. I just hope they do something good with the money they make.

struggles

Likes Dirt
G'Day All,

For events such as ours, run by an MTBA affiliated club, could you consider the following.

We run one large event per year. The entry fee you pay for that event covers:

1/ Cost of permits / infrastructure / prizemoney to run the event (yes WE put up all the prizemoney)
2/ Cost to run every other club event for the rest of the year, (if you are a club member, you pay once and get the rest of the year free)
3/ Prizes at club events for the rest of the year
4/ Sponsorship / coaching for club juniors, eg, fuel to attend other events
5/ Infrastructure / club property for loan such as marquees, lights, event trailers
6/ Ability to influence government departments such as DSE, Parks Vic, Local Council as well as local politicians
7/ Ability to advocate for trail maintenance

Just to name a few.

So while entrants see only the event they enter, clubs see the ability to do many others things for the next 12 months

Could I just add, the percentage of MTBA v's NON MTBA entrants is totally out of proportion. Most seem to only enter a couple of events every year and purchase day licences.

This prevents MTBA from running other programs such as high performance coaching and junior development clinics that other sports throw obscene amounts of money at.

As a result, clubs such as ours have to pick up this slack to develop the next generation of Olympians coming through the system. Some clubs are very focussed on this, others not so much.

If every club event could fill with MTBA members our sport would be able to achieve far more than it can at present.

So, next time you enter a club event, ask yourself, is it really that expensive?

(Steps down from soapbox) :rolleyes:

Regards

Roland
I don't think people have any issues with club events, its more to do with events run by private promoters.

At least with a club event, you know you entry fee is going to a good cause and not to pay off some random dudes house or buy them a flash new car.

But I could be wrong and the private promoters are really just in it for the love of the sport and they really do not make any money out of it.

charltons

Likes Bikes
Kinross racing

You can race a handicap race at Orange this Sunday 2pm $5, and go in the draw for a $500 BBQ!!!!!

Who said there is no value out there?

Check out the CWORBC website

HamishS

Likes Dirt
^^^ agree with struggles ... the question of $ at non club events has really only popped up in the last year or two (or at least more so).

Most riders are happy that the cost of hosting an event will increase from year to year though when a 100km event for e.g. goes from $100 - $140 from 2009 - 2010, questions start getting asked where the $ are going? And the consensus is in the promotors back pocket. There definitely isnt $40 worth of extra value for the rider in alot of these events.

The majority of us are keen to pay a bit more each year to keep mtb'ing a growing sport though when radical % increases are put on major events alot of people are put off.

Just my opinion (and some learnings from comments on numerous forums)

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I don't think people have any issues with club events, its more to do with events run by private promoters.

At least with a club event, you know you entry fee is going to a good cause and not to pay off some random dudes house or buy them a flash new car.

But I could be wrong and the private promoters are really just in it for the love of the sport and they really do not make any money out of it.
Why shouldn't they make money? If they promote and event and price it so that it sells out and get a flash new car out of it then good on them. They aren't a charity and you as the consumer get to choose whether you participate in the event.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Like most things in a capitalist society the consumer (riders) decide if a service (event) is value for their hard earned $$ if not then they can choose to go elsewhere, eg go ride the same tracks for nothing the week after the event. With some (not all) there seems to be a move away from an emphasis on the event atmosphere towards just supplying a "good" track (?) and some big giveaways from sponsors.
In Vic we are lucky you can pick and choose what event we can go to and how much you want to pay or just go ride You Yangs, Woodend, Forrest, Bendigo, Lysterfield, Mt Beauty etc all these places have been created and maintained by clubs. Enduros for $50, club races $5 - $25 etc.
In Bendigo (and other regions, including Castlemaine, Melbourne etc) we have an evening race started up by the club low cost great fun. Encourage your local club to start up one in your area.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
The solution to events being too expensive is more events... given that the major private promoter events don't seem to have much difficulty in selling out it would seem that demand is outstripping supply so why shouldn't promoters charge what they like?

As noted elsewhere in the discussion, club events are great value for money - I can go and race a round at WSMTB / SCUM / CCMTB / etc. for about $20 (not including my race license etc) so there is a 'cheaper' way to race.

Over the last couple of years, the amount that it has been shown that people are willing to pay for a race is prompting more promoters to look for a piece of the action and we're getting more events which is great! Supply will catch up with demand and then things will find a level where the promotor makes money and the price is 'fair' (at least that's the theory...)

Feb / March / April next year is going to be nuts - we have Sydney 24, The Mont, Cobra Mtn, Tathra, Solo champs, Mountains to Beach, Terra Australis, Ottway... I know that I'm really looking hard at the various things and choosing where to spend my hard earned cash rather than simply going 'ooooohhhh a race, must enter'. Also, I'm not marking things in my diary as to when entries open anymore as if I don't snag an entry to the one I was looking at, chances are that theres something the week either side of it anyway.

If people think the price is too high then the best thing is to vote with your wallet and not go - paying the cash year in year out and complaining about the price really doesn't get you anywhere.

I also think that in the cost of getting to a race, the actual entry part is probably the cheap bit... for instance to go to Cobra Mtn (which is on my list :) ) is a day off work (already forfeiting 2 weeks pay to buy more leave to get to events), a couple of nights accommodation for the fam, fuel... not to mention any bike fettling that is required and race food!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
As noted elsewhere in the discussion, club events are great value for money - I can go and race a round at WSMTB / SCUM / CCMTB / etc. for about $20 (not including my race license etc) so there is a 'cheaper' way to race.
And if you're prepared to put in some time in the back end (sitting at the rego desk, timing, setting/clearing tracks) you can probably even end up for racing for free.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt

If you don't like paying for things where someone is paying off their house or buying cars (ie, living in the real world) then you had better stop spending anything. Every dollar you spend in some way goes to pay for people to live including luxury items. I am guessing that you don't work as that would imply that you expect someone to give you money to pay for things too.

Coke and hookers.....
phew!

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could be very wrong,
I'm pretty sure some of the entry fee goes to the state forest / nsw parks and wild life, I think they ask for
+ $30/rider or something like that
But some of the entry fee goes to the vollies club e.g. fire brigade, scouts and to the local club who build trails to buy tools, bridges etc for the track, prizemoney, rubbish removal, signage, petrol for the the 20 cars out on the track,
but sure you might also want to see, as people have pointed out ,showers, stalls opened for that little bit longer.