Video makers 'post here'

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Doesn't quite work that way.

The differences in compression are not worth worrying about between 25p and 50p. 25p in a DSLR has twice as much resolution as 720p but refreshed half as frequently. 720p has almost half the resolution but refreshed twice as frequently. The codec is working slighty differently but you shouldn't base your decision on what frame rate to shoot on the compression differences. The results between the two are negligible and there are more important factors.
Also, don't think that because we live in a PAL country you have to shoot in 50p or 25p. PAL and NTSC relate to a colour system that does not apply to HD video when progressive. Yes, I would generally shoot 25p or 50p but for a better slow mo feel free to shoot at 60p.
As I mentioned, DSLR use a rather crude form of line skipping to downsample from their large 15-20MP sensors to the rather low red HD video we shoot. This crude dowsample gets noticeably worse when shooting at 720p.
Do a test and use what's suits best. Unless you have a camera that shoots 1920x1080 50p (top end cam) then there will always be a trade off. You need to decide what that trade off is.
vtwiz, that was basically what I suggested. The differences in bit rates are cancelled out by resolution increases. There is a difference, and it's certainly not negligible, but it's not enough to be particularly concerned over.

No current Canon DSLR's shoot 50p/60p 1080.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Oliver. said:
No current Canon DSLR's shoot 50p/60p 1080.
Yes, that's why I said high end (expensive) cameras. No Canon DSLR is high end or expensive compared to the likes of Viper, F35's etc...

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok so have all my gear now, might post a picture up a bit later. In summary basically 720p has a smoother image (obviously because of the 50fps compared to 25fps) but 1080p produces a greater quality image. The data being produced would be similar wouldn't it seeing as 720p has twice as many fps but 1080p obviously has more pixels (I think this is what Olly is getting at.

Thanks heaps for both of your information. I'm currently thinking of just shooting at 720, 50fps. Will I run into problems if I mix 2 different resolutions in an edit? Other question I had was is there a big difference between 24p and 50/60p and what is it? People still seem to use 24p heaps but with my limited knowledge the only difference I can see would be the 1 frame which would hardly make a difference?

Thanks again

Last edited:

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys,

Just need a bit of help with something, I just recently bought this http://www.sony.com.au/product/hdr-cx110e
and using adobe premiere 8 for editing. When I put the videos from the camera onto the computer they are good quality but when I import them to adobe they lose alot of there quality and colour. Is this normal or am I missing something cause Ive only been filming for about 2 days.
Thanks

Zac

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
hey guys,

Just need a bit of help with something, I just recently bought this http://www.sony.com.au/product/hdr-cx110e
and using adobe premiere 8 for editing. When I put the videos from the camera onto the computer they are good quality but when I import them to adobe they lose alot of there quality and colour. Is this normal or am I missing something cause Ive only been filming for about 2 days.
Thanks

Zac
When they are in the timeline, press enter and footage will render...

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps for both of your information. I'm currently thinking of just shooting at 720, 50fps. Will I run into problems if I mix 2 different resolutions in an edit? Other question I had was is there a big difference between 24p and 50/60p and what is it? People still seem to use 24p heaps but with my limited knowledge the only difference I can see would be the 1 frame which would hardly make a difference
Some don't really see the difference with the 1 frame but it does give that more artistic, deliberate look of your film. I was doing some testing out this week of shooting JUST 720p, turned out alright I thought. Slowed down really nicely.

www.davisuals.com.au/videos/yellowflanny.mov

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some don't really see the difference with the 1 frame but it does give that more artistic, deliberate look of your film. I was doing some testing out this week of shooting JUST 720p, turned out alright I thought. Slowed down really nicely.

www.davisuals.com.au/videos/yellowflanny.mov

Ahh I did mean in my original post the difference between 24 and 25p but you picked that up anyway. Thanks a lot for the information.

Video quality wasn't really that noticeable but all in all I really liked it. Didn't overuse the glidecam at all which was good. I've filmed at that track before I think.

If you had to choose one frame rate and resolution and that was it (you couldn't change) what would it be seeing as you shoot similar stuff to me? Have you mainly been shooting at 1080 and 25?

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Ahh I did mean in my original post the difference between 24 and 25p but you picked that up anyway. Thanks a lot for the information.

Video quality wasn't really that noticeable but all in all I really liked it. Didn't overuse the glidecam at all which was good. I've filmed at that track before I think.

If you had to choose one frame rate and resolution and that was it (you couldn't change) what would it be seeing as you shoot similar stuff to me? Have you mainly been shooting at 1080 and 25?
I've mostly been shooting at 24 1080p because I couldn't really work out slomo properly, but now I have I'll probs shoot 50 most of the time because all my stuff is Internet based.

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
Would anyone be able to reccommend me a reasonably cheap LCD eye cup or "Z finder"?($100) I've found that not having my face up against the eye piece of my 60D really reduces the stability i'm getting when not using a tripod, and i've heard the eye cups help improve stability a lot..

Also, I'm going to need another memory card as the file sizes are much bigger coming from the 60D compared to my previous camera.. atm i've got a 16gb class 10 SD card and an 8gb class 10 SD card (30mb/s).. Is it necceassary to be getting class 10 and at 30mb/s because i'm finding these to be very expensive.. If i chose a 32gb class 6 SD (20mb/s) card will it make my footage jumpy or of less quality at all?

Thanks, Jimmy..

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Would anyone be able to reccommend me a reasonably cheap LCD eye cup or "Z finder"?($100) I've found that not having my face up against the eye piece of my 60D really reduces the stability i'm getting when not using a tripod, and i've heard the eye cups help improve stability a lot..

Also, I'm going to need another memory card as the file sizes are much bigger coming from the 60D compared to my previous camera.. atm i've got a 16gb class 10 SD card and an 8gb class 10 SD card (30mb/s).. Is it necceassary to be getting class 10 and at 30mb/s because i'm finding these to be very expensive.. If i chose a 32gb class 6 SD (20mb/s) card will it make my footage jumpy or of less quality at all?

Thanks, Jimmy..
Class 6 should do you, and I think you'll find these guys hear are good with lense cups...
http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahh thought so :) Your set up is looking quite similar to mine at the moment. Might post a test footage video in a few days.

Jimmy I just bought 4x 16gb Kingston Class 10 cards. They are fairly cheap, good quality, reliable brand and not much extra than the Class 6. I was lucky enough for the people I bought it off to stuff up my order and send me 2 extra as well.

On another topic completely what type of bags do people use, specifically focusing on DSLR's gear if you have one. The idea of getting a bag sort of avoided my thinking when purchasing my new gear.

I was thinking of a backpack styled one and it would need to fit 1 gripped body, 3-4 lenses (nothing huge and one as small as a 50 f1.4), lens filters, case of memory cards, spare batteries and chargers, an external microphone, cleaning utensils for the lenses etc and a few other bits and pieces. Needs to be padded and protect the gear, not look completely filthy and not too expensive (looking at around $100 but no more than $300-$400). It would be preferable if it had a place to put a tripod (can be external), a small section at the front or somewhere to keep notes or some snacks in, be waterproof and have an adjustable inside so I can adapt it to what I'm taking with me.

Any ideas?

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This might help nick: Bag Finder

Using what you said i got this:
http://products.lowepro.com/product/DryZone-100,1934.htm
Does it need to be waterproof or weather resistant. That would change things a bit.

Thanks heaps for the link. Found out the waterproof stuff is like is you go canoeing and it can float on the water and stuff. Don't really need that and costs heaps extra. At the moment thinking about going for the Lowepro Flipside 400AW. It can hold heaps, isn't too expensive, looks alright, apparently is really comfortable and has a waterproof cover. Anyone had an experience of would suggest something different?

brindog

Likes Dirt
Ok it probably been asked a lot, but Im thinking of starting to use my 7d for Films.
My current Card is a Pretec 16GB 567x is this good enough for film, or is there a better card.

Also Im thinking of getting this "DSLR Pro Audio Upgrade Kit with Phantom Power"
http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/...rade-kit-with-phantom-power-vg-dslrkitph.html ,so I can run a boom and other mic's.

One Last question what is the best all round lens for shooting, Would a canon 15-85 /w image stabilizer be fine ?

Also thinking of getting one of these (pro 2.5x) cause I can't see the screen. http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder

What do you guys reckon.

Thanks heaps

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok it probably been asked a lot, but Im thinking of starting to use my 7d for Films.
My current Card is a Pretec 16GB 567x is this good enough for film, or is there a better card.

Also Im thinking of getting this "DSLR Pro Audio Upgrade Kit with Phantom Power"
http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/...rade-kit-with-phantom-power-vg-dslrkitph.html ,so I can run a boom and other mic's.

One Last question what is the best all round lens for shooting, Would a canon 15-85 /w image stabilizer be fine ?

Also thinking of getting one of these (pro 2.5x) cause I can't see the screen. http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder

What do you guys reckon.

Thanks heaps
For cards anything Class 6 or higher is what you want and 16gb seems to be the sweet spot. Price varies between brands. Transcend are very cheap while Sandisk are ridiculously expensive. All do the same thing essentially. I ended up getting 4 (well by accident they sent me extras) Kingston Class 6 cards. Not too much more expensive and are suppose to be really relaible. No worries so far. If you are shooting a really important one off occasion I guess paying 4x the amount of the Kingston's for a Sandisk might be an option.

Not sure on the audio kit. I just got a Rode Videomic with a wind reducer thingo (called a Deadcat or some ridiculous name) which seems to work well.

I had the same question regarding an all round lens and went with a 24-105L. A lot of people choose the 24-70L because it has an aperture of 2.8 compared to 4. For what I've used it for so far 4 seems fine for me (although obviously 2.8 would be better). 24-70L also doesn't have IS and costs approx. $400 more. You also get a greater focal range in the 24-105L. Only real disadvantage is it being f4 but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. The lens you mentioned isn't the best but it depends what your price range is?

Haven't had personal experience with the view finders but I've heard they work great and are worth the money.. One real disadvantage of the 60D is that they would be such a pain to use on it.

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dakine are supposed to make pretty good bags for photographers:
http://www.dakine.com/snowboard/packs/photo/

Ogio also make one:
http://www.ogio.com/product/view/21/Atiba-Mini-Camera
Ogio one seems a bit small but the Dakine ones seem great. They do look a lot better than the Lowepro ones but I have a feeling I will be paying a lot extra. Anyone know any online shops which stock them so I can get an idea on prices. I can get the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW for a little over $100.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Will this system be able to edit AVCHD files from a 550D with these specifications.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6570 @ 2.10Ghz
Memeory (RAM): 2GB
System Type: 32- Bit Operating System

Editing on Adobe Premier Pro CS5/Sony Vegas Pro 9

I really need to know so i can tell my teacher if i can use it for my assignment.

That's my school laptop.