Paterson Kona 24 Hour - May 21/22, 2011.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
It's time to circle May 21/22 on your calendar for the inaugural running of the Paterson Kona 24.

This event will be hosted by Hunter Mountain Bike Association in collaboration with Kona and the township of Paterson in an exciting venue nestled in the foothills of the Hunter Valley.

Open to teams and solo competitors, this event is destined to be a sell out with a cap of 500 riders for 2011.

The Paterson Kona 24 will be hosted by Hunter Mountain Bike Association, and will provide a true test of mountain biking endurance and skill, all in a fun family-friendly atmosphere.

The original Paterson Classic was an XCO event run over a decade ago along the site’s vast array of fire-trails, and was renowned as a brutal test of mountain biking skill.

With full support from the Paterson community, this event will raise money to aid in restoration and maintenance of some of the region’s historic buildings, including several local churches.

While the primary focus of the event will be the 24-hour race, there will also be a 6+6 race that will run as a mini stage race. Open to solo competitors only, the 6+6 will commence at the main start at midday Saturday and stage 1 will finish at 6pm. Competitors are then free to soak up the event atmosphere for 12 hours before resuming racing at 6am on Sunday morning.

For more race and venue info check out the website www.patersonclassic.com.

QZ13

Likes Dirt
hmmmm interesting.
Interesting is that GREEN_RACER will be leaving the door open for the one speed massive. Jeebus will smoke 'em

I'm available to join the volunteers, PM me the details to start the ball rolling.
pm sent

I'll say that this is some of the best trail I have EVER* ridden, so get your shit together and make sure you're there

*yes Dreggsy, EVER!

agk7

Likes Bikes
From those who know the track how would this fair as a first time 24 solo event?

Descriptions talks of a "brutal test"?

Cheers
agk

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
It looks like there is there a regular HMBA club race on the 21st as well?
Yeah, thats a goof.

HMBA are also going to run a series of 4 x 3 hour races across 4 new venues this year. One of them will be at Paterson and will be run prior to the Kona - it will let us sort out any teething issues.

@agk7 - it will be fine as a first time event. Did I lay it on a little heavily with 'brutal test of mountain biking skill' :D

The venue is on the side of a hill (not to dissimilar to stromlo) so there is going to be some climbing. If your thinking of soloing then it will hurt (don't all 24 solo's?). There are going to be rocks but probably not as many as Stromlo.

Basically, there will be something for everyone and if you want to go at maximum attack for a full lap - then yes, it will be brutal.

lordflog

Likes Dirt
Apparently Pi11 & the bearded one have a thing against switchbacks....

There's also talk of multiple lines through the technical spots so peeps can get their Danny MacAskill on, should they feel the need :cool:

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Apparently Pi11 & the bearded one have a thing against switchbacks....

There's also talk of multiple lines through the technical spots so peeps can get their Danny MacAskill on, should they feel the need :cool:
Ooooh, you said the 'S' word. I'm dobbing!

If El Presidente so much as hears you say that word while at Paterson, you're banished!

I have had to start referring to them as 'double backs' or 'direction reversals' so I don't get in trouble :D

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Interesting is that GREEN_RACER will be leaving the door open for the one speed massive. Jeebus will smoke 'em
Jeebus would smoke GREEN_RACER (if he really exists), the REDHULK & the GREENHULK if they raced on a team of onespeeds.