Are AM riders just washed up DHers?

dirtpig

Likes Bikes
I've been wondering lately, and maybe it's just me, but what do you all think? All mountain - a bunch of aging blokes who can't/don't want to go so big anymore.

(Before anyone gets their hate on, I'm not trying to flame here, just stimulate discussion!)

I reckon I probably fit the profile...

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
ha ha maybe. Nah i do everything from XC to DH but can only afford one bike so AM it is! Plus i love the idea of 'organic' trails. Natural super technical trails that require skill, suspension and balls to ride.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
or could it be a bunch of XCérs that got angry

or less inclined to pedal the big ring so hard ... going up

or DJérs that know how to use a front brake

or fixie rejects ... or objectors ... same same

or tattoo'd single speeders (single speed for life) with gears

or DHérs that like to pedal

or like to huck with their seat up

or understand that tech is equally hard both up and down.

or those that got sick of rounding up their lazy arsed shuttle leeches, that never pay for petrol (I suspect your one of those Dood)

or FR riders that don't need chep pallets to huck

or Mountain Bikers.

or somebody that doesn't care what the profile is.

+1 if you hate dirtpig

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
or could it be a bunch of XCérs that got angry

or less inclined to pedal the big ring so hard ... going up

or DJérs that know how to use a front brake

or fixie rejects ... or objectors ... same same

or tattoo'd single speeders (single speed for life) with gears

or DHérs that like to pedal

or like to huck with their seat up

or understand that tech is equally hard both up and down.

or those that got sick of rounding up their lazy arsed shuttle leeches, that never pay for petrol (I suspect your one of those Dood)

or FR riders that don't need chep pallets to huck

or Mountain Bikers.

or somebody that doesn't care what the profile is.

+1 if you hate dirtpig
*likes the above post
Yep + 1

Nice work Al
Nail on the head Mr OTB.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
I've been wondering lately, and maybe it's just me, but what do you all think? All mountain - a bunch of aging blokes who can't/don't want to go so big anymore.

(Before anyone gets their hate on, I'm not trying to flame here, just stimulate discussion!)

I reckon I probably fit the profile...
I'd prob say more "fed up DHers" than "washed up".

As in, fed up with the lack of downhill trails and the effort it takes to organise a day of shuttles. I love DH, but I really think the future of mountain biking in Aus will be "all mountain"

And as for the aging bit... yeah, I reckon once I get on a bit I wont feel like pushing the limits on my DH bike, I'll just stick to AM riding.

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm with Nik, I just got fed up with not having any of my mates DH'ing anymore and its too dangerous to do by yourself (if your gonna go hard), plus I ride a bike that I personally think can handle anything I throw at it, so if I come across a huge gap/drop/jump I'm happy to hit it........but then I can also climb back up the hill to hit it again...and again...and again...

For anyone who has ridden Woodhill in NZ, you'd understand why I ride an All Mountain rig....the ability to thrash single trail, north shore, gaps, jumps, drops and happily ride up hills and home again is what All Mountain biking is about to me

But hey...just my 2 cents

P.S. If you haven't ridden Woodhill yet....GET ON IT!

For years I organised shuttles and built a trailer for the local boys and the only car that was shagged at the end of it all was mine.
Fuel money was another drama and the "yep I'm in..no show" shat me big time.
I have been lucky enough to have a shuttle service near home for the last few years but $50 each time I want to ride is too much.
All Mtn is the easy way, get fit for real and shread trails..

Reigner

Likes Bikes
I think dirtpig is just fishing for a bite ....

As my signature suggests, AM (to me anyway) really is the best of both worlds. XC type distances and fitness with DH like challenging terrain.

Full XC is a little bit plain-jane to me (but can still be very fun with obstacles), and the DH style of ride like a maniac for 4 minutes then take 20 minutes to get back to the top doesn't appeal to me.

Suggesting AM'ers are uncapable DH'ers ..... :confused:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
+ one Nerf for King of the World!

Or at least the watery tart that hand the king his sword

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like challenging myself riding really technical stuff, but prefer it to be natural, rather than man made pallet jumps and the like.

Nothing like exploring down a new trail and just dealing with whatever you find.

ray

Likes Bikes
I fall into the ex DH to AM category, not that i was very good or very brave at DH, probably more Freeride to be fair, rode and still do have a Gemini 1000, then a Reign 0 as it was almost as good as i was doing more endurance races and it could still fly down hills, then a KHS Solo One, a Niner Air9 and now an Anthem 29er, still have the other bikes but can't see me out on them much, especially the Gemini.....but mostly i think that being about to turn 40 has influenced my riding..AM is so much easier to recover from these days!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Most riding I've ever done is all MTN, but I'd rather be DHing, just more speed. I don't think you have to have a favorite, or label. Just ride and enjoy.
I love both my All MTN rig, and My DH rig the same. DH rig is just more capable at speed, All MTN more capable at everything else, but it too is built for thrills not efficiency(6"front and rear,8speed only with chain guide,was 6 speed but the Jindy hills are to abrubt, 2.35 Minions).
Don't hold back Nurf, just go straight for the head shot, I mean why mame him, when you can just drop him. I do think I saw he had a ittle white flag though.

Last edited: