Post Your XC Machine

Megahead

Likes Bikes
Is that mud on her tyres? I think she's been cheating on you buddy.

Where did you get Katrina from? I call my bike lots of names particularly when I fall off it.

Bodin

GMBC
Leroi literally means "The King" in French. Pretty sure His Majesty will object to having a girl's name.

Looks like an awesome ride though. Nice build. Should be a rocket.

thekovac

Squid
Is that mud on her tyres? I think she's been cheating on you buddy.

Where did you get Katrina from? I call my bike lots of names particularly when I fall off it.
:eek: :eek: Katrina's been cheating on me? :( ...... She's my third lady/bike after Gina (my roady) and Tina (commuter/hack bike). Figured I keep the "Ina" tradition of names. Katrina isn't her only name - just like the rest of my ladies they have some interesting middle names formed mostly in the same way you have formed names for yours :p

Leroi literally means "The King" in French. Pretty sure His Majesty will object to having a girl's name.

Looks like an awesome ride though. Nice build. Should be a rocket.
Thanks for the comments :D .... have taken her out for a few short rides and it was nice. Still got to learn how to properly ride it as I've been riding road bikes for almost 2 years now. She climbs well and an absolute blast to go down the hills with. Can hardly wait for Lysty and the YouYangs to be repaired and opened up again.

Last edited:

QUINCE

Likes Bikes
Well Here is my latest build up. I had an Apollo Team C hardtail, but had been missing the dually comfort and have had my eye out for a dually frame for ages. And one of our reps came in to work the other day carrying this sexy red Commencal frame which took to my fancy. (All my bikes have a red/white/black theme). Even better it was nice and cheap! and the frame he had there to display was my size so I said I'd take it.

Now with the Team C having such a nice spec I new immediately I would be changing all the parts over from that and onto this frame. Thankfully I didn't run into to many issues with the change over with the seat post, fork steerer, BB, all fitting nicely. I just needed a new headset and Front derailleur.

So here is the finished project. Yet to take her for a test ride fully but went for a 20K pedal with the mrs on the cycle way on monday and it felt nice. Hopefully bush test it tomorrow.

Specs as follows:
2011 Commencal Super4 pro frame w/ Fox RP23 rear shock 4" travel.
Rockshox Reba Race fork 100mm
Truvativ Stylo 3.2 cranks
Sram X0 shifters
Sram X0 Rear D/r
Sram X9 front D/r
Hayes stroker carbon brakes
Easton ec70 Bar and seatpost, ea70 stem.
Prologo nago saddle
Wheelcraft Fiend wheelset (stans ZTR olympic rims DT swiss 240 hubs, DT swiss Aerolite spokes)
Maxxis Larsen rear tyre
Michelin mountain dry2 front tyre (front is also tubeless set up, will do rear soon)

Planned future up grades are a set of avid elixir carbon brakes (hayes look ugly), truvativ Noir cranks and a pair of rockshox Sid world cup 120mm forks.

Attachments

Mooy

Likes Bikes
Hey Kovac,

This was my bike! he or she will be a sweet ride. Loved it just a bit small for me. Hope you love it.

Andy

Here's my new lady - Rotorburners meet Katrina:

She's a custom build bike with a Kona Leroi Frame that is made of Scandium and has carbon rear seat stays. Equipped with RockShox SID Race forks, Fox RP3 rear shock, DeoreXT running gear all round, Avid Juicy 5 brakes and Mavic Crossride wheels wrapped with Schwalbe RocketRon tyres.

Unfortunately she hasn't had a good maiden voyage yet thanks to all the recent miserable weather and subsequent park & track closures. Can hardly wait to give her a good crank. :D

thekovac

Squid
Hey Kovac,

This was my bike! he or she will be a sweet ride. Loved it just a bit small for me. Hope you love it.

Andy
:eek: Small world! You're the original owner of the bike! .... I did see a for sale thread for this bike a little while ago from you. Otherwise yes the bike is great - good climber and quite light for a mtb. She has some nice parts on her - would've cost alot more than I paid for it. Loving the scandium frame and carbon rear seat stays. Haven't abused her too much yet but the time will come. (Hurry up and open Lysty and YouYangs!). It is definitely a she - how else will I make bad sexual innuendo about her?

Although the other day she did leave me 6kms from home with a flat tyre and of course I had to loose my bike pump during that ride. Looking forward to many good years of service from her. Hope you're experience was good with it.

Science

Likes Dirt
My rig began life as an el cheepo Anaconda special, it's developed into a very sweet little thing.
i bought the frame bare and fitted the best bits i had laying around, slowly upgrading as time and money allowed, turning it into this 12kg beast.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My rig began life as an el cheepo Anaconda special, it's developed into a very sweet little thing.
i bought the frame bare and fitted the best bits i had laying around, slowly upgrading as time and money allowed, turning it into this 12kg beast.
Worlds most upgraded Fluid! Nice bike and props for sticking with it. Reminiscent of Xmetals fine work.

Science

Likes Dirt
Its been 16 years and about 25 bikes but I have a new Zaskar. Unfortunately I cant get a pic that does justice to the colour.

A shot like this is good for highlighting colors

A quick side note. having just read the last 20 pages or so of this thread, i seem to be the only one running 1x9 and a chain guide.
am i just weird?

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
A quick side note. having just read the last 20 pages or so of this thread, i seem to be the only one running 1x9 and a chain guide.
am i just weird?
Nope, I run 1x on my hardtail and I know quite a few others. The E*13 XCX cross country guide is Dirt works best selling guide. Nuff said.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
I running 1x9 on my Anthem and loving it, shaved off a good 500 grams, offers me all the gears I need and simplified the cockpit a little, I also run ss on my ht. Re a chainguide Im running the e-13 as well and very happy with it, flawless.

0psi

Eats Squid
I was nearly banished from the tribe for this.

Frame - 2009 Yeti AS-R
Rear shock - Fox RP23
Front shock/fork - Rock Shox Sid Team
Handlebars - FSA K-Force flat
Stem - Ritchey WCS carbon
Headset - Cane Creek S8
Grips - ESI
Saddle - Fizik Tundra
Seatpost - KCNC Ti Pro
Front brake - Elixir CR
Rear brake - Elixir CR
Cranks - Truvativ Noir
Chain - Dura Ace
Pedals - Eggbeater
Front derailleur - Shimano XT
Rear derailleur - Sram XO
Front shifter - Sram XO
Rear shifter - Sram XO
Cassette - Sram PG990
Front hub - DT 240
Rear hub - DT 240
Front rim - Xentis Kappa
Rear rim - Xentis Kappa
Spokes - Xentis Kappa
Tyres - Changes a lot
Tubes - Stans
Total weight - About 10.5kg depending on Tyres.

Yeti.jpg

The Kappa wheels have since gone to the hardtail and have been replaced with Crossmax ST's

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
XX has a different bolt pattern. AFAIK there are no single rings available. XX negates the advantages of a 1x setup - perfect shifting under power and light. There was some backyarder doing them on mtbr though, maybe.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://homebrewedcomponents.wordpress.com/

He makes XX Chainrings to suit.

Your right about XX negating the need for 1 x 10, but when you very very very rarely drop from the 42T - Theres not much point having a Front Derailleur, Shifter, Cabling and a poor chainline when I could swap to 1 x 10.

EDIT - FYI XX BCD 80mm Inner & 120mm Outer