Post Your XC Machine

Shaman

Likes Dirt
2011 Merida Carbon 96 - TeamD

Only mods so far have been a comfier saddle and flipping the stem. Just needs some lighter wheels and she's ready to go. 9.6kg out of the box for a Large.

Am thinking she'd look better with the latest XTR though so if anyone wants to buy some brand new XX gear before I get tempted to take her out into the dirt please feel free to PM me.

The forks feel a little 'noodley' on the floor but a proper ride will tell.

phphYJGb8PM.jpgphpnGBVCIPM.jpgphp59Pkq6PM.jpgphpbgali5PM.jpg

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Hey guys my new bike arrived just before Christmas took a little time to get it sorted but here it is.

Frame: Cannondale Scalpel 1 2011
Fork: Lefty PBR
Shock: Fox Rp23 (80mm)
Wheels: Crossmax SLR
Brakeset: Hope Race X2 with Red Floating rotors
Cranks: FSA SLK
Shifters: XTR dyna sys
Front der: XTR
Rear der: XTR
Cassette: XTR
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR gel flow
Seat Post: Fizik cyrano
H/bars: FSA SLK

Weighed it at the LBS 9.36kg. View attachment 191645View attachment 191646View attachment 191647
sounds epic! pics didn't work for me though :(
any ride reviews on the new xtr? i presume you have the 'race' stuff?
:cool:

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone have any opinions on a 26-39 XX front chainring setup?
What rear cluster size you running?

I'd normally run a 26-40 w/ 32t cluster, with a 2x9, but I'd have to put the tripple on for the REALLY steep races.

Thoughts?

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Anyone have any opinions on a 26-39 XX front chainring setup?
What rear cluster size you running?

I'd normally run a 26-40 w/ 32t cluster, with a 2x9, but I'd have to put the tripple on for the REALLY steep races.

Thoughts?
Works good with 11-28.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Generally you'll want the 28/42 rings with an 11-36 cassette. You'll spin out on the 39 during marathons or if you ever hit the asphalt when you go out trail riding. Plus the 28/36 is an easier gear than a 26/32 just in case you were thinking the opposite.

I do have a set of 26/39 rings that I put on for XCO races if the course suits. I spin out at about 42km/h in the 39-11 but it's rare to actually be pedalling at that speed in an XCO race. I find it very beneficial to be able to stay in the big ring that little bit longer so I can punch over things that I wouldn't be able to with a 42.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Generally you'll want the 28/42 rings with an 11-36 cassette. You'll spin out on the 39 during marathons or if you ever hit the asphalt when you go out trail riding. Plus the 28/36 is an easier gear than a 26/32 just in case you were thinking the opposite.

I do have a set of 26/39 rings that I put on for XCO races if the course suits. I spin out at about 42km/h in the 39-11 but it's rare to actually be pedalling at that speed in an XCO race. I find it very beneficial to be able to stay in the big ring that little bit longer so I can punch over things that I wouldn't be able to with a 42.
Cheers Grover,
I actually have the 28/42 rings because I was thinking the same thing, and was afraid I would spin out to much in marathons etc.

I've got a 36t cassette I'm pairing it to, so hopefully that works well enough for the climbs.

Btw, thanks for the heads up, I was thinking the opposite, I was an idiot and thought 26/32 was easier!

You going to that great ocean sports festival again?

Brownster

Likes Dirt
Here is my latest XC weapon. The Merida Carbon FLX 1500 with tubeless conversion.
So light and fast thru trails its unbelievable. Cant wait to get some racing in on it.

HAve also changed tyres to the Nobby Nics. Have always ridden on Crossmarks so will be interested to see the difference.

WildWassa

Banned
Icicle the bicycle.

Icicle the tricycle.

She is a stock standard 2010 Anthem X3, except for the rubber and the carry-bits (from Maxxis, Topeak, Tioga and Vaude). The Extrawheel (which has a LaserLite front wheel) is cool and even cooler with the mudguard off.

The calliper of the Extrawheel is an amazing design. It is spring steel with each side arm stay, spun in the same direction, but in opposite directions on each side of the bike, so that it works as the attachment, a shock absorber and a taution bar. The way the calliper connects to the rear quick-release nuts is ingenious, slip-on or off, for allowing quick removal or re-attaching ... just a few seconds.

Icicle keeps me off the streets.

Warren.

Last edited:

a.brasington

Likes Bikes
Coming soon (on the build, parts on the way):

Frame: Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon/Silver Large
Fork: Reba 29er XX 100mm /w remote lockout
Shock: Fox RP23
Crankset: XX
Cassette: XX
Der (F&R): XX
Shifters: XX
Pedals: Eggbeater 2
Hbars: Bontrager XXX Carbon Flat Lite
Seatpost: KCNC Scandium Ti
Seat: Fizik Gobi White
Stem: Ritchey 4axis WetWhite
Grips: Ergon GX3 with barends.
Wheelset: Stans NoTubes 29er Crest White
Tires: Stans Raven 2.2 Tubeless
Brakes: Formula R1

Pics to come!

guern

Squid
sounds epic! pics didn't work for me though :(
any ride reviews on the new xtr? i presume you have the 'race' stuff?
:cool:
Hey i updated the pictures they should work now. Only had one ride out at the you yangs. Rode awesome, need to adjust the suspension and cut the bars down but so far very happy

WildWassa

Banned
Bodin, thank you Mate. Please enjoy a few more images of my XC machine.

I don't view my XC machine as only the bike, it is the off-road touring system. The system also uses 4 Vaude 'Road Master' panniers.

Warren.

RICOCHET

Likes Dirt
This is my New (had for about 3 months now) XC race/Trail Bike.
X0 2x10 Build with a few custom extra's
120-150 adjustable forks
Yeti Saddle
Easton Carbon Bars
180 Front Disc
Tubeless tyres
Crank Brothers Egg Beaters (not shown)
12.4KG with Pedals

I am absolutely loving it. I have been out of serious riding for a good number of years, I sold my Santa Cruz Bullit to get this (which I am now regretting), but this bike is easily the best I have ever riden. I have much love for the yeti brand and am going out and trying to find a couple of the models that brought me into the MTB world and also ones that I really like.

Cheers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wattieez

Likes Dirt
Here's my current XC bike, hasn't been ridden off road yet as I've really only just put it together.

Current weight is 11.90, will lose 1100g off the tyres when i get new ones :)

Big thanks to mcetp001 and WILLY for the second hand Frame and Forks!

MY Racing 221

Cannon Fodder
Specialized Epic Comp

Picked this up from the RB for sale section and love it. It replaced my first MTB - a Trek 4500 HT. Don't know myself, can't get enough time to ride it as much as I want!

Frame: 09 Specialized Epic Comp
Fork: Fox RL32
Shock: Specialized 'Brain'
Crankset: Truvativ stylo
Cassette: XO
Der (F&R):SLX / X9
Shifters: X7
Pedals: SPD 540 Shimano
Hbars: Specialized
Seatpost: Specialized
Seat: ravX
Wheelset: DT 420
Tires: S-Works Purgatory / Maxxis Crossmark
Brakes: Avid Elixir R SL

Haven't really changed anything aside from the Elite bottle cage, 540 pedals, and the Crossmark. Love the look of the bike, think it looks fast standing still... which is a good thing, as when people see me ride it, they won't think it is so fast!! Haha...

Pic taken before pedals.

Yellm

Likes Bikes
@ Wattieez

Nice bike...! I like the white stem and post... but what stops the chain from falling off the from to the inside?

wattieez

Likes Dirt
Thanks Yellm, the white was really a last minute decision because i was able to get the forks second hand

Yeh, makes a tiny bit of noise in granny but i guess that's a good motivator to stay out of it :)

Though I am going to get an e-13 xc guide + chainring so i can change from 32-40 tooth depending on where i ride.