Little Things You Hate

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Navigating the pitfalls of group assignments, international students and blatant plagiarism. I don't want to be accused of racial profiling, so you can draw your own inferences there.

...but seriously, if you're going to steal someone else's assignment, you could at LEAST delete the original paragraphs you've changed "confectionary" to "car insurance" in. Fook me, it's a 300 level subject and they're getting a degree for this shit.

EDIT
For instance, AAMI Car Insurance company is the only sugary product made by natural ingredient with no artificial colour and flavors

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Navigating the pitfalls of group assignments, international students and blatant plagiarism. I don't want to be accused of racial profiling, so you can draw your own inferences there.
I think most uni students know the feeling, I was in a group project last year with 5 Chinese girls in a subject that was based 100% on group work and was entirely about analysing content and generating ideas (ie stuff Chinese students do not want to do)

We all got along pretty well and with a bit of encouragement and extra effort they seemed to understand most of it and we could actually sustain a proper conversation about the subject at hand.

When the time came for final presentation even though everyone knew what they had to do I got emailed a bunch of absolute rubbish copy pasted straight off google and had to write the 4000 word report myself. In the final presentation (no notes allowed) they just brought in the report I had written and read sections of it straight out even though in our meeting before they had agreed to have no notes. Tutor (good guy, very patient and understanding) = not impressed at all.

This is actually the biggest success story I have had working with ESL students, the fact that we could actually sustain a conversation...when it came to marking of course I was negatively affected as we were assessed as a group, and the fact that I did the whole report myself was also a hassle.

This year I am in a similar subject and 5 of us Australian students who know each other agreed to sit together every class so that when groups got decided (12 week group project) we would all be together with no international students. It kinda worked, the tutor (dickhead) criticised us for all sitting together and not 'assimilating' but at the end of the day I'm there for myself, not there for anyone else (despite where they come from) and the fact is if we are being assessed as a group I want to be in a group who doesn't copy paste off the internet, and a group who has at least some kind of clue what is going on and what the subject is about.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
When your microwaved porridge is molten lava on the outside and cold in the middle, but you've already sat down and started eating it and can't be bothered to get up and nuke it some more, and stirring it in never gets it just right.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
I think most uni students know the feeling, I was in a group project last year with 5 Chinese girls in a subject that was based 100% on group work and was entirely about analysing content and generating ideas (ie stuff Chinese students do not want to do)

We all got along pretty well and with a bit of encouragement and extra effort they seemed to understand most of it and we could actually sustain a proper conversation about the subject at hand.

When the time came for final presentation even though everyone knew what they had to do I got emailed a bunch of absolute rubbish copy pasted straight off google and had to write the 4000 word report myself. In the final presentation (no notes allowed) they just brought in the report I had written and read sections of it straight out even though in our meeting before they had agreed to have no notes. Tutor (good guy, very patient and understanding) = not impressed at all.

This is actually the biggest success story I have had working with ESL students, the fact that we could actually sustain a conversation...when it came to marking of course I was negatively affected as we were assessed as a group, and the fact that I did the whole report myself was also a hassle.

This year I am in a similar subject and 5 of us Australian students who know each other agreed to sit together every class so that when groups got decided (12 week group project) we would all be together with no international students. It kinda worked, the tutor (dickhead) criticised us for all sitting together and not 'assimilating' but at the end of the day I'm there for myself, not there for anyone else (despite where they come from) and the fact is if we are being assessed as a group I want to be in a group who doesn't copy paste off the internet, and a group who has at least some kind of clue what is going on and what the subject is about.
i have a feeling we would get along very well. what major(s) you doing?

mine was management last year (so naturally all management is essentially groupwork). drove me a little crazy at times and we employed the same strategy you did.

the uni then started selecting the groups for us & deliberately putting a wide variety (read: incompatible) bunch of people together, just to force us to learn various skills. sounds logical and is perhaps something we need to learn, but...

it's ridiculous when you're encouraged to hire people that fit in with the existing staff for precisely the opposite reason (compatible etc).

the message we got from the class was "you need to know how to do this shit in such a situation... but do your best to make sure such a situation never occurs".

Last edited:

Likes Dirt
60% of my first year engineering course is based on a group report. Most if not all of my group lack basic organisational, communication and English skills. Why couldn't we choose our own groups? I know many motivated people who I enjoy the company of. But instead I'm stuck with this group of retards.
I realise this is something I'm going to have to get used to in engineering (group work, not retards, although I wonder...), but in 1st year? Really?
:mad:

Not happy.

Arete

Likes Dirt
"Are you sure you want to close this program?"

Well actually no.

I'd prefer the program unfroze and ran the analysis, but seeing as you don't seem to be giving me "Would you prefer the program to actually do what you wanted it to?" option I'm kind of stuck for options aren't I?

MasterOfReality

After forever
60% of my first year engineering course is based on a group report. Most if not all of my group lack basic organisational, communication and English skills. Why couldn't we choose our own groups? I know many motivated people who I enjoy the company of. But instead I'm stuck with this group of retards.
I realise this is something I'm going to have to get used to in engineering (group work, not retards, although I wonder...), but in 1st year? Really?
:mad:

Not happy.
It just gets you used to some of the fuckwits you have to deal with in the workforce :)

scuba05

Likes Dirt
It just gets you used to some of the fuckwits you have to deal with in the workforce :)
I know exactly what you mean with that. Fortunately, in my internship at the moment, all the people in the engineering department are very easy to get along with, and can have a decent conversation with them. 7 Aussies (one woman), one pom and a south African. Talk about striking it lucky!

I can relate to what everyone is saying about international students and group work. I have had a few group assignments where they almost refuse to pull their own weight, and you can bluntly see that any work they do is from wikipedia. I guess you see why so many people die in their countries due to various factors which could probably be attributed to these peoples failures.

Before someone says "They're not all bad", I know, but a significant group of them are as useful as tits on a bull.

Back on topic, LTYH,
THE PEOPLE WHO WRITE AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS & LEGISLATION. I have been reading this utter shit for the last few weeks and have never seen documents that must be conformed to that are so vague and useless in my life. I reckon a 5 year old could do better with an etch-a-sketch to describe what has to be done. You can clearly see these people have no life, are 40 year old virgins with a comb-over, and have never set foot on a construction site where the machines they are setting standards for work.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Until laws were changed last year, international students were able to rip the NZ system off something shocking.

They were able to get student loans (HECS?) while they were studying... However when they graduated they just flew back home and didn't pay their owing fees. The punishment for this is to not be allowed back into the country (which hardly bothers them), so they got free university and the remainder of students that are honest are left up a creek without a paddle.

Sure, it's a poorly designed system - but it still shits me that there are so many of us left having to pay upfront regardless.

Plow King

Little bit.
WHY BUY A FUCKING 4.X LITRE TWQIN TURBO CAR AND TAKE 40 FUCKING SECONDS TO GET UPTO 10 UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT IN A 70 ZONE IN THE OUTSIDE LANNEEE.

WHY BUY A FUCKING 3.X LITRE FUCKING COMMODORE AND TAKE 30 MINUTES TO REACH 50.

BUY A FUCKING PRIUS

Rant over.

PS CAPSLOCK!!! FUCCCKK

Matt H

Eats Squid
I got my laptop back from harvey norman/3rd party warranty service center today after 3 weeks. They replaced the hdd and installed a fucking 32bit OS when my last OS was 64bit. Don't worry, I didn't want to use that extra 1.5gb of ram anyway :rolleyes:

EDIT: or is it just the way they installed it? Is it possible for me to "switch" to 64 bit? should probs head to the computer thread...

Last edited:

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The term "Muppet".
It's honestly one of my favourite words!

WHY BUY A FUCKING 4.X LITRE TWQIN TURBO CAR AND TAKE 40 FUCKING SECONDS TO GET UPTO 10 UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT IN A 70 ZONE IN THE OUTSIDE LANNEEE.

WHY BUY A FUCKING 3.X LITRE FUCKING COMMODORE AND TAKE 30 MINUTES TO REACH 50.

BUY A FUCKING PRIUS

Rant over.

PS CAPSLOCK!!! FUCCCKK
Buy a motorbike
Melbourne traffic. This city is fucked!
see above.

When you leave your house on your motorbike and it's sunny. Then when you come home, it rains. But you don't have any wet weather gear because it was sunny. FML

Toff

Likes Dirt
When you leave your house on your motorbike and it's sunny. Then when you come home, it rains. But you don't have any wet weather gear because it was sunny. FML
Living in Tas, I've learned to wear a dryrider jacket pretty much every time I get on the bike..

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
When it's 115am, you've worked a 14 hour day, have a final photo to finish off for a magazine deadline due soon and the product is a mission to set up, and you're bloody tired and have to get up in 6 hours time for another 9 hours of work...your 10th day in a row without a day off.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Having to take notes from ~100 pages of journal articles because the lecturer decided not to post notes online. waaaaah.