Downhill going uphill

Benny.

Likes Bikes
Heyy, i wanted to know can you ride down hill mountain around eg.to the shops etc. how hard is it really.

I want a DH bit my dad says its way to hard to just ride around.

Thanks
Ben

Benny.

Likes Bikes
Well thats why i asked. I wanted to know before i got one then found its impossible to ride up hills.

driftking

Wheel size expert
It depends on what you class as just riding around, To go for a boost to the shops and back its fine, but if you want to go on say street rides it will be annoying. you can still ride a DH bike around but if you want to hit some hills it might be a issue.
Dont get sucked into the freeride style thing if buying a big rig, I got sucked into the idea of getting a freeried bike because it "can pedal up hills too"......yeah they are worse to pedal up hill than a DH bike. well at least mine is, its a glory 8 so its a big scale fr bike. If you want to ride DH and will primarily be doing downhill I personally would get a DH bike but if you want something you can go for rides around bush track and then hit a few dh trails later for fun you can probably go down the shorter travel 5-6inch style bikes.
In the most recent issue of AMB rando uses a giant reign X to do 4x,dh and XC they are also a common suggestion on this site for a allround style bike.
If you can be more specific in what you want out of the bike and what type of riding you will be doing im sure you will get more help in which direction to go.
Have a good look at the type of riding yoru doing and how often.
I would grab the new AMB, read the article and think about the type of riding your doing and how often.

Last edited:

Benny.

Likes Bikes
it depends on what you class as just riding around, To go for a boost to the shops and back its fine, but if you want to go on say street rides it will be annoying. you can still ride a DH bike around but if you want to hit some hills it might be a issue.
dont get sucked into the freeride style thing, I got sucked into the idea of getting a freeried bike because it "can pedal up hills too"......yeah they are worse to pedal up hill than a DH bike. well at least mine is, its a glory 8 so its a big scale fr bike. If you want to ride DH and will primarily be doing downhill I personally would get a DH bike but if you want something you can go for rides around bush track and then hit a few dh trails later for fun you can probably go down the shorter travel 5-6inch style bikes.
In the most recent issue of AMB rando uses a giant reign X to do 4x,dh and XC they are also a common suggestion on this site for a allround style bike.
If you can be more specific in what you want out of the bike and what type of riding you will be doing im sure you will get more help in which direction to go.
I dont know much about bikes, all i know that there are Dh, enduro, DJ and road. So i want a DH because i like the look, i have ridden one at a shop and like the feel. Thats all i know.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
It's not that bad, just don't force your foot down in such a way when you pedal that the rear shock compresses. The tyres don't really get to be too big an issue, I've ridden my Sunday fairly long distances, and honestly you can go a lot faster than a commuter sometimes riding over the rough stuff and leaving braking nice and late.

I had a norco a-line for a bit, i managed to do everything on it.

I'll admit it was harder but if the rear shock has Propedal (DHX's) than that helps a bit.

Dont think you'll be blitzing it up hills though, thats not fun

driftking

Wheel size expert
Ok, I wouldnt say im confident in helping someone make their first purchase when they are new to riding. However Ill give you some info I have found while buying.
I do want to clarify earlier I said dont get sucked into freeriding bikes. By this I meant the bigger 8+ inch travel heavy bikes that learn more towards DH style as they dont pedal around well at all, if you go for this you might as well get a DH bike.

The giant reign X is classed as a freeride bike but it is a very good one in which it is light, has 6.7inch suspension, It is a perfect example of what a allround freeride bike should be. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/reign.x/7276/44193/
Freeride bikes can be a very good option for someone who wants to do more than one style.

Before you go into a shop think about what you want in a bike. You could get pushed in the wrong direction by salesmen or saleswomen (not to be sexist here aha). I went in wanted a DH bike but I liked the idea of been able to pedal around and ended up getting a big arse freeride rig with 8inch travel 22kg and its not only worse to pedal but it weights more than a DH bike, Majority of my riding is also DH so the bike was not ideal for me.

I would suggest think about how much DH riding you do compared to riding around the streets, what do you want out of the bike yourself ?
I would also say to go buy the newest issue of AMB http://www.rotorburn.com/showimage/7ebb5f927f.jpg and then read the article of jared rando using the reign X.
This should give you a good idea of what a good freeride bike can do.

Last edited:

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to ride my dh bike everywhere because I didn't really know any better, and was the only bike I had.
As soon as I built up a hardtail, I realized this was the way to go. Much easier to ride in all instances except dh, cheaper, and lighter weight, more efficient, generally much more suited to riding. + hopefully less likely to be stolen..

I would do what others have suggested, and really think about the riding you will be doing. If it's mostly on road, but you want to hit jumps, go hardtail/dj. If mostly road and distance, but you see yourself going off road, maybe an xc bike. And if the offroad you plan to do is more serious, a 4-6" AM bike is your best bet.

Keep in mind, a serious MTB will have soft tires that wear quickly on the road, and roll really slowly.

ozmanick

Likes Dirt
well i have calfs like a elephant now so it does GREAT things for your muscles and fitness. I have a fr that is not too good at the uphills. I still managed to keep up with and over take my xc buddy.

driftking

Wheel size expert
well i have calfs like a elephant now so it does GREAT things for your muscles and fitness. I have a fr that is not too good at the uphills. I still managed to keep up with and over take my xc buddy.
Hardtails including road bikes and even short travel XC bikes are better for developing calves and legs on the road or xc trails. No competition.

indica

Serial flasher
When in Cairns my wife and I bought a Stinky each, mine 05, hers 08 and rode them as our only bikes. 19.5 kg and 18 kgs. We rode them on both XC and DH tracks and I could do all the climbs.

Was fun but they are aimed at a very specific form of riding and while it is "cool" to ride a 20kg monster it is really not needed.

I say buy a Fury, carbon, expensive, good colours so your mates will think you are cool.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
When in Cairns my wife and I bought a Stinky each, mine 05, hers 08 and rode them as our only bikes. 19.5 kg and 18 kgs. We rode them on both XC and DH tracks and I could do all the climbs.

Was fun but they are aimed at a very specific form of riding and while it is "cool" to ride a 20kg monster it is really not needed.

I say buy a Fury, carbon, expensive, good colours so your mates will think you are cool.
but yours isnt fluro Indica. :p

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your a small fella riding a 20kg full on DH bike you will be fine for short distances and on the flat but it will kill you on the up.

I'd get whatever bike you want and worry about the ride later! The downside of riding it uphills is QUICKLY forgotten about on the way down the hill!

There's no way I'd ride my DH bike anywhere but from the shed to the ute when I have other bikes to ride. It IS like riding with a flat tyre.

macca21

Likes Dirt
unless you're set on walking up and riding dh at least almost exclusively i'd advise against getting a full-on dh bike to start with, especially if you're only starting out...
get something in the 5-7" travel range that's under 16kg and ride that everywhere until you find what style of riding you really want to do and go from there

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wait, are you actually going to ride DH, or do you just want the DH bike for shits and giggles?